Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why HP91 is so sure you would like the Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius area better than anything in the Triangle. Obviously many people disagree, or there wouldn't be people in both places. All my in-laws are in Charlotte, my spouse went to Davidson for college, and we would never live in that area if we could avoid it. Just not the place for us. We greatly prefer the Triangle. A lot of people do like the Charlotte area, but you should visit both areas and see which one you prefer. I'd suggest spending a little time in the Charlotte forum and the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary forum, too, and ask your questions there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,504,448 times
Hickory, NC... Hickory has 2 major hospitals, is 1 hour from Charlotte, 1 hour from Winston-Salem, and 1 hour from Asheville, all with major hospitals. Hickory has Lake Hickory (google it), the High Country and Boone, NC is 45 minutes aways, and decent resturants. I'm not sure about the Asain population. We have a burgeoning Hmong community, and more Latinos are moving in the area.
Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
My gf and my parents have both been out to NC and loved it there and plus from the types of homes I have seen online there they looked so beautiful and contemporary.
My question, which city/area would you suggest I consider in NC?
If you've seen parts of the state that you like, those are the parts you should look at. It is not a homogenous state, after all. None of us can tell you whwere YOU would be happiest, but if you're basing a move to NC on a visit and some online houses, then those are the areas that have already met your muster and would be where to consider a move, no? Not everywhere in NC is like whatever places you have seen, so concentrate on what you have already liked. A place you can find a job is always a plus, too

Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM

3,068 posts, read 4,804,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm not sure why HP91 is so sure you would like the Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius area better than anything in the Triangle. Obviously many people disagree, or there wouldn't be people in both places. All my in-laws are in Charlotte, my spouse went to Davidson for college, and we would never live in that area if we could avoid it. Just not the place for us. We greatly prefer the Triangle. A lot of people do like the Charlotte area, but you should visit both areas and see which one you prefer. I'd suggest spending a little time in the Charlotte forum and the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary forum, too, and ask your questions there.
I just think the suburbs around Charlotte are much better than the suburbs around Raleigh...in one of his posts about festivals, being an active community and still feeling small, it describes Matthews to a T. The reason I didn't list Matthews was because it isn't near a lake, which he said he wanted.

As well, I am very familiar with the Philly area as well as the outlying areas around Philly. The Triangle doesnt have the defined center that Charlotte has and is really a collection, a region if you will of different cities....while Charlotte functions more like a major city with suburbs that for the most part rely on it.

Much of the Raleigh suburbs are just that....suburban feeling, not integrated, IMO, very well with the existing community...I think this describes Wake Forest & Apex...Holly Springs doesn't really even have a center and Fuquay-Varina has always been fractured. Cary is so big it's no longer considered a suburb, its a big city. I think places like Knightdale and Pittsboro still have some work to do to be more viable for transplants.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the explanation HP. We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think you do the OP a disservice to steer him away from the Triangle w/o suggesting he visit to make up his own mind. He may very well like Charlotte better, but while I do think the two areas are different (and I definitely do like the Triangle better) I don't think they're so different from what he's looking for that someone coming from out of state should be dissuaded from visiting both and making up his own mind.

The Triangle is world renowned for science and medicine and has a more academic bent than the Charlotte area, Davidson and UNC-C not withstanding. Charlotte has more pro sports, theme parks, etc. The Triangle has more museums, universities, etc, but both have a whole lot of suburbia plus the hospitals he's looking for (although I do give the Triangle the edge here in top rated medical facilities), a decent amount of cultural and ethnic diversity, opportunities for outdoor activities, and plenty of lakes and trees in both areas.

I think he could find what he's described in either area, but if he visits both one will probably feel more right to him.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 PM

353 posts, read 578,758 times
Definitely Triangle! Good housing prices are in Morrisville, Cary and North Raleigh. I lived there.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 AM

128 posts, read 539,250 times
Thanks everyone. Yes I am leaning more towards the Charlotte area but I have definitely not ruled out Raleigh area. I am planning an exploration visit hopefully in the next couple weeks. Driving down from Philly will be about 7 hrs so i think i will stop at raleigh first then next day drive down to visit the Charlotte and surrounding areas. Being near a lake would be nice but i guess it wouldnt be mandatory so as long as everything else appeases me.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Sounds like a good plan.

There are several lakes in the Triangle area if you enjoy water sports. I see lots of folks sailing and wind surfing on Jordan Lake and I think many people enjoy Falls Lake, too — I just don't get over there much so can't speak from personal experience.

The land around Jordan Lake is a state park so there aren't homes right along the shoreline like there are at Lake Norman or Tega Cay, but plenty of folks do enjoy lake recreation. I would imagine a lakeside home would run more than the budget you mentioned anyway so that may be a non-issue.

FWIW, UNC-CH medical school ranks No. 1 in primary care

Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,275,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I prefer to be a little away from the coastal area to avoid any hurricane issues.
On that statement alone, you should focus on Charlotte.
Raleigh family lost homes in Hurricane Fran, tornado :: WRAL.com

^^^Notice the shirt that this poor man was wearing? It was a "Carolina Hurricanes" shirt. There IS a reason why Raleigh's only pro-sports team is named "Hurricanes". The "Canes" (as they're locally called) moved to Raleigh from Hartford (Hartford Whalers) in 1997; just one year after Hurricane Fran WHACKED the Triangle. Being only 1 hr 45 minutes from Wilmington puts Raleigh in the direct path of a bad category 2 storm if the storm makes land-fall as a category 3.

When a category 4 hit Charleston (Hurricane Hugo back in 1989), it was a rather weak category 1 by the time it made its way to Charlotte. Charlotte hasn't had a Hurricane since Hugo; Raleigh has though. To be honest, neither are coastal cities, so it's not like a Hurricane will flood them out like New Orleans. Still though, Raleigh does seem to get more storms on average than Charlotte.

EDIT: And PLEASE don't take the above info to mean that I wish harm on Triangle area families. I was simply providing info to an OP who did bring up the storm factor. Personally, I wouldn't let something like the threat of Hurricanes scare my away from any city. However, there are some folks out there who would rather stay away from places that are at a higher risk for storms. In this case, Raleigh is a slightly higher risk than Charlotte.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 03-14-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM

To the best of my knowledge Raleigh has not had an actual hurricane (if you don't count the hockey team) since Hurricane Fran (which I was here for) although the area has had plenty of tropical storms just like Charlotte has. Do you have other info? I believe Hurricane Fran was also a category 1 when it hit Raleigh. The other hurricanes that came to inland NC were downgraded to tropical storms by the time that they reached Raleigh or Charlotte. Many of them came from the Gulf rather than the Atlantic also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina