Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Southbound and boss hit it right on the head.......
TOLLS NEVER GO AWAY. It's just too easy a revenue source!

NJ and Penn Turnpikes, NY Thruway, etc. all toll roads that were designed to go away once the build cost was recouped. HAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I guess you could argue the build cost never goes away because of the constant upgrades and repaving.
I agree. I have seen the same from neighboring states like Oklahoma. Recently, the president of the Turnpike Authority in Oklahoma has said that the states vast network of toll roads are supposed to become "non-tolled" in 2028, even though the portions of I-44 that constitute the Will Rogers and Turner Turnpikes were supposedly paid for a LONG time ago.

Anyway, while I do agree that it will be a long time from now, I do see toll roads in states like NC and TX having their tolls removed in the future. When? It is hard to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM

160 posts, read 235,100 times
Also, it appears the general trend is more tolling, not less. State highway budgets don't appear to be keeping up with need, and so folks seem to see "use based" funding (aka tolls) as the way to go.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Gov. Pat McCrory's administration supports a bill to eliminate a mandate on North Carolina transportation officials to build toll-road projects in Gaston County, the northern Outer Banks and near Wilmington.

Tata: NC DOT backs deleting 3 toll-road mandates - News14.com

Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Gov. Pat McCrory's administration supports a bill to eliminate a mandate on North Carolina transportation officials to build toll-road projects in Gaston County, the northern Outer Banks and near Wilmington.

Tata: NC DOT backs deleting 3 toll-road mandates - News14.com
Well, that's a good thing. The toll road in Gaston would not be used enough to ever pay for it. I've heard that if they kill the Garden Parkway NC DOT will widen 85 to exit 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina