Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You said "church" which implies a monolithic entity.
..........or a generalization as to avoid going off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
The majority gets to decide....that's who!
Oh, you mean rule by mob?

Did you ever hear of civil rights? Civil rights are not decided by the majority.

If they create a law and that law gets challenged in court on the basis of civil rights, then the judges decide. Not the majority.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This is, please remember, the party who still claims to be the "party of LESS government regulation."
Exactly.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
The majority gets to decide....that's who!

Goodness gracious people!!! Men and women are different! THEY ARE DIFFERENT.....there, I said it. I know I will get plenty of hate for it...but it's the truth. You cannot change the FACT that men and women's bodies are different...they are NOT equal. I am sorry....

Dang you evolution.....why didn't you work with equality in mind!?!?
And your point is?

Women feed babies, just like all other mammals. Breasts actually have a function, and the fact that some find them attractive is irrelevant. Who cares? This really is an equality issue. Europe seems to be ahead of us in this understanding. Some parts of the Muslim world still forbid the female body to be uncovered because some men have a sexual response -- to arms and legs. Why should the male sexual response dictate the freedoms of women? Men, be responsible for yourselves, for your own responses and behavior, and quit blaming women for the thoughts within your own freakin' minds.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 03-28-2013 at 01:31 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Shame on you and the other person playing partisan to make it a party issue when it isn't.
Shhhh. You're disrupting the groupthink. Doubleplusungood, report to room 101 immediately!

Also, to the OP (not GCharlotte) don't talk about a war on women when the side claiming the Republicans are "kooks" are attempting to limit women's self-defense choices, and whose President is funding an organization that conducts involuntary virginity tests.

The topless bill isn't even out of committee, so drive yourself on down there and make yourself heard if you disagree with it.

Last edited by netbrad; 03-28-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
And your point is?

Women feed babies, just like all other mammals. Breasts actually have a function, and the fact that some find them attractive is irrelevant. Who cares? This really is an equality issue. Europe seems to be ahead of us in this understanding.
Not sure about Europe. Sure they have more topless beaches but generally topless say in public parks? I don't think that many. Maybe because of laws or maybe because no one pushed too far and therefore no reason for a law. Germany appears to be pretty liberal but I'm not sure of general walking about or holding rallies. We were more liberal once when Monty Python was shown on PBS affiliates. Let me dare take another approach. Maybe part of this is because there is a difference that makes it not an equality issue. Maybe the idea is to avoid spontaneous lactation which could be a health issue.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Yes, parks and pools. In fact, some pools are nude only. My European relatives find us to be quite prudish in the U.S.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
And your point is?

Women feed babies, just like all other mammals. Breasts actually have a function, and the fact that some find them attractive is irrelevant. Who cares? This really is an equality issue. Europe seems to be ahead of us in this understanding. Some parts of the Muslim world still forbid the female body to be uncovered because some men have a sexual response -- to arms and legs. Why should the male sexual response dictate the freedoms of women? Men, be responsible for yourselves, for your own responses and behavior, and quit blaming women for the thoughts within your own freakin' minds.
I think a main difference between a person like you and a person like me is really how we view things from the core. It's a fundamental difference...that I don't consider human beings on the same level as "all other mammals". There are MAJOR differences....very common sense differences between humans and animals...men and women...man breasts and woman breasts.

I find it extremely inaccurate to state that a man or a woman can change what he or she finds attractive. I've never said that just bc someone has a weird fetish or things a certain way...we should change the societal norm for them. There is a common understanding in society here in the United States that "private parts" includes women's breasts. If you don't like that a. Go to a nudist beach, or colony, or area. Or b. move to Europe if you love it there so much. Go to a society whose majority thinks as you...

Can you explain to me why you think this is an equality issue?

Side note: I don't agree with this being a "felony" charge...but I also really don't think it's going that far. I think people are just being extra dramafied

Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Oh, you mean rule by mob?

Did you ever hear of civil rights? Civil rights are not decided by the majority.

If they create a law and that law gets challenged in court on the basis of civil rights, then the judges decide. Not the majority.
I honestly think its rather pathetic that our government is spending time and money on this..and agree the situation doesn't deserve a "felony" charge,.but again don't think it's going through like that.

I really haven't seen or heard of it being a major issue anywhere to create this whole hoopla.....

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
The real question is why anyone finds it so compelling to even create this law.

It's not like women are stampeding topless everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina