Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on which Community College offers the best courses in classes like...
  • Basic Carpentry
  • Auto Body Repair
  • Pottery
  • Stained Glass
  • Home Repair
  • Metal Shop

I have absolutely NO interest in moving into another highly populated, too "Fast Growing" urban area.
I'm a retired veteran and my dream is to find a little fixer on 2-to-5 acres within a 45 minute radius to a place like Durham or Winston-Salem.

I want to spend a lot of time fixing my place up... enjoying nature... driving slowly pass folks... giving a gentle wave, "Hi" as I head home and LOCK THE GATE.

I don't want to go shopping at the mall or eat at the newest, hippest corporate chain restaurant.

I'm more interested in raising some dogs and chickens ... growing a garden, and taking some of the above type classes at a J.C.

I don't want nor need the academics ... just the life enriching courses that add soothing "quality of life" to my weary soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
If I'm someone like you, I'd look at Asheboro...nice quiet community with room to spread out....basic amenities, but able to get to certain things within a reasonable time...

Here's a link to Randolph Co Comm College...

Randolph Community College - Creating Opportunities. Changing Lives

If that isn't the best place for you, there are other options within reasonable driving distance.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
I totally agree with HP91. Additionally, Asheboro is in the literal geographic center of the state, so you're within easy driving distance to everything.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default huge thanks

Thanks HP91 and Roadpony.

Your answers are big time savers.
I'll begin searching them both.

Although Asheboro... if I remember right from my "old trucking days" ... seems like I encountered a good bit of traffic around there. Right?
No biggie really... because I want to be outside of town anyway.

1Lov.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
You might like Mebane or Graham. I have a friend taking classes at Alamance Community College.

NC has a good community college system. Randolph CC is good, too. They used to be particularly known for their photography program. Not sure if they still are.

Anywhere near Durham is going to be more urban, but Durham Tech is very popular.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

NC has a good community college system. Randolph CC is good, too. They used to be particularly known for their photography program. Not sure if they still are.
Yes, The statewide system of community colleges and technical institutes is quite good.

I know at least two professional photographers who took the courses at Randolph CC and are very successful. To the best of my knowledge the program is still highly acclaimed.

As for the OP's list of interests, I think most any community college will be able to offer most if not all of what the OP is looking for, especially since it appears to be for personal enrichment. BTW, I believe Forsyth Tech in W-S has a bang-up automotive program (no pun intended).

For stained glass & pottery, you might want to look at local arts programs in addition to community college. The Sawtooth Center for the Arts in Winston-Salem has wonderful classes for adults and children.

To tag onto the Asheboro recommendation, of course Seagrove is just down the road, and is home to over 100 working pottery studios and the NC Pottery Center. I don't know any specifics, but I have to believe that pottery classes would be easy to find in Randolph County.

Last edited by roadpony; 03-25-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Thanks HP91 and Roadpony.

Your answers are big time savers.
I'll begin searching them both.

Although Asheboro... if I remember right from my "old trucking days" ... seems like I encountered a good bit of traffic around there. Right?
No biggie really... because I want to be outside of town anyway.

1Lov.
US 64 and 220 (future I-74?) intersect in Asheboro. A radius of that interchange can be a bit busy at times, but in general, I don't think you have to worry about traffic in Asheboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina