Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Having an ID to vote is just plain sensible.
Only if you don't believe in the 24th Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM

460 posts, read 1,018,000 times
It's sooooo annoying to me that everyone just keeps saying "republicans want to stop democrats from voting"..... That's so ignorant and false it's frustrating.

Yes there are repubs and dems that are crappy....cancel them out...and there are a large majority of people on both sides of the isle that are just normal....and want this crazy government back under control and things to be honest and real. Too much cheating and lying and bs on all sides and NONE of us regular folk want that anymore...on the crappy cheater people. We just want straight talk!

So...with that being said...I've had Good conversations on this and many other touchy subjects with repubs and independents and dems... And when those conversations happen between honest people wanting a similar outcome.... Stuff can actually happen! Lol it's amazing...

So what do you guys think about a system if you can't afford a drivers license...don't have one...and want to vote...you have to register yourself in an electronic voting system and it just saves your picture on file for free? So you go in and vote....and you can see the person is legit.
I feel that voting is a amazing right and privilege we get! But with it comes some sort of responsibility... Even if it's just simply registering properly.

None of you are offended by individuals who participate fraudulently? You're not frustrated that your vote counts even less bc someone is cheating and lying? That ticks me off....

I do absolutely want every eligible person to vote if they wish! I don't want my vote meaning nothing bc someone else is cheating.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Having an ID to vote is just plain sensible.

The Dems insane opposition can only mean they have something to hide.

And we all know what that is, but the PC gods forbid us from being honest.

I would like to see us vote via tax return...pay no taxes, get no vote. Simple.
So if a person makes so little money that they don't pay taxes or if they live on disability, they shouldn't be allowed to vote? You must be a republican, who wants to trash the constitution!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM

460 posts, read 1,018,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So if a person makes so little money that they don't pay taxes or if they live on disability, they shouldn't be allowed to vote? You must be a republican, who wants to trash the constitution!
I could be wrong bc I've never been on disability or anything...but when I was younger and not making much,.,I still had to file taxes...right? I just got money back? So would that apply?

Also....your last sentence discredits any thing "good" you might have to say...you along with man others might want to adjust the nasty demeaning things you say about people you don't even know by categorizing them...

I just don't understand why so many people do that....we seriously just need to do away with political parties all together. So people have to actually LISTEN what others are saying and not generalize and assume.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Considering we live in a right to work state... This sucks!!!

Not all of us have jobs where we can just take the day off to vote! Because GOP lets our employers treat us like slaves. Not all of us can afford to wait in long lines... I heavily, heavily rely on early voting!

I voted for Obama and I know most voters who vote early vote Democrat... Seems like a way to make voter turnout lower.

I highly value voting, but... I HAVE to work.... Thats not a choice. I am a responsible citizen and vote on my day off. I work 40 minutes away from my job. Am I supposed to go to work, go vote then drive back to work then drive home again? I guess I'll use a vacation day.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
None of you are offended by individuals who participate fraudulently? You're not frustrated that your vote counts even less bc someone is cheating and lying? That ticks me off....
Here's the truth about individuals "participating fraudulently." There were only 901 reported cases of attempted voter fraud nationwide between 2000 and 2012, which represents 1 in 15 million (or .000007%) votes. Only TEN of those cases were in-person attempts that could have been solved with photo ID. The rest were registration or absentee ballot fraud attempts that would not have been solved by photo ID. And 46% of the cases are dropped and result in no conviction. (Voter fraud is rare in U.S. - USATODAY.com)

So when it comes to reducing the 10 cases of fraud verses disenfranchising the 600,000 North Carolinians without photo ID (the majority of whom are elderly or below the poverty line), I'll take a representative democracy where everyone gets a chance to vote.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Here's the truth about individuals "participating fraudulently." There were only 901 reported cases of attempted voter fraud nationwide between 2000 and 2012, which represents 1 in 15 million (or .000007%) votes. Only TEN of those cases were in-person attempts that could have been solved with photo ID. The rest were registration or absentee ballot fraud attempts that would not have been solved by photo ID. And 46% of the cases are dropped and result in no conviction. (Voter fraud is rare in U.S. - USATODAY.com)

So when it comes to reducing the 10 cases of fraud verses disenfranchising the 600,000 North Carolinians without photo ID (the majority of whom are elderly or below the poverty line), I'll take a representative democracy where everyone gets a chance to vote.
Hmm...I wonder why isn't the GOP doing anything about that absentee ballot fraud. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that Obama only got 72K votes by mail and Romney got 143K. Certainly making it harder for those folks to vote would pose problems for the nutjo...err Republicans legislators.

Or could it be that when mail in voter fraud occurs this happens and a certain political party benefits.

The Seattle Times: Local News: Voting by dead people isn't always a scam

Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Considering we live in a right to work state... This sucks!!!

Not all of us have jobs where we can just take the day off to vote! Because GOP lets our employers treat us like slaves. Not all of us can afford to wait in long lines... I heavily, heavily rely on early voting!

I voted for Obama and I know most voters who vote early vote Democrat... Seems like a way to make voter turnout lower.

I highly value voting, but... I HAVE to work.... Thats not a choice. I am a responsible citizen and vote on my day off. I work 40 minutes away from my job. Am I supposed to go to work, go vote then drive back to work then drive home again? I guess I'll use a vacation day.
No, you let your employer treat you like a slave. Right to work does not mean you don't have the right to organize.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
If it were up to me you could note vote if you were on public assistance for over one year, must have a photo I'd, no non-citizen can vote and everyone would need to take an exam on mental capacity prior to voting

Old 03-31-2013, 07:07 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
If it were up to me you could note vote if you were on public assistance for over one year, must have a photo I'd, no non-citizen can vote and everyone would need to take an exam on mental capacity prior to voting
Does public assistance mean corporate welfare or any person who pays less than 10% effective tax rate due to access to tax shelters and other upper echelon loop holes? Let's ban any person with a business that receives government or state funded loans or incentives. If you work/worked for any company that received bailout money...BOA, etc, you should be banned from voting since the company you worked for has been essentially been propped up by the government for survival. If your company does any business with a government agency or within the government agency supply chain (parts for cars, planes, uniforms, computers, software, etc)...banned for public assistance.

If you receive medicaid, medicare or travel on state funded highways or use state funded parks, you should be banned from voting. If you scored less than 1000 on SAT (equivalent ACT) score, you should be banned from voting - scores less than 1000 are obvious indicators of a deficient mental capacity.

If your ancestry isn't partial or full native american, your name will be placed in a 2-year waiting-pool, with voting privledges disseminated based on the number of american flags (not confederate) displayed within a 100 yard radius of your house or displayed on car stickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: