Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Isn't that what the Pilgrims came here to get away from?
^This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
This is the line for me. I thought I would stay and fight these injustices. But if this passes I'm hightailing it the **** out of here as quickly as possible.
I'd first stick around and try to vote them all out and undo the damage first. And if that failed, then I would agree this State has some issues. I guess we like having some of the highest unemployment in the country? And how NC's has gotten worse as the Nation's has gotten better?

I'm tired of the "priorities" in the GOP. The day they return to fiscal only is the day I'll consider voting for them again.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Wait guys, ClevelandMike needs to come here and tell everyone why they are dumb for being against it. While letting us know why this bill is great!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times
I seriously wonder if the GOP in this state realizes that this is not Mississippi or the like for Conservative voters. I mean Romney won by 80,000 votes. That is a razor thin margin.

It may be true locally the GOP has some benefits from gerrymandering but that can go only so far in a real "rebellion" by the moderate middle.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I seriously wonder if the GOP in this state realizes that this is not Mississippi or the like for Conservative voters. I mean Romney won by 80,000 votes. That is a razor thin margin.

It may be true locally the GOP has some benefits from gerrymandering but that can go only so far in a real "rebellion" by the moderate middle.
Mid term elections in 2014 are VERY important. If moderates and progressives sit on their hands like they did in 2010, it's pretty much over. However, this time it's going to be much harder now that the republican safe districts across the state are pretty darn safe. Liberals and moderates need to be out in force to get many of these bozos out of office.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM

310 posts, read 575,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There are several caves in countries with names ending in " _ _ _ __ abad", and "_ _ __istan" just waiting for various non religious proclivities.

Oh well ... have a nice day.
I'm not aware of any countries ending in "abad" (there are a bunch of cities named "---abad"), but as for the caves in countries ending in "istan", are you claiming that the problem with their occupants is that they are not religious enough?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Irrelevant but it gets better. We are totally wasting our time and it's my fault.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
This is the line for me. I thought I would stay and fight these injustices. But if this passes I'm hightailing it the **** out of here as quickly as possible.
Why? It has no legal weight as it isn't intended to change or create any law. If you want to move because of what the majority thinks that's one thing but I suggest leasing if you're not because you never know when the tide will turn.

If you're embarrassed about it then so I am I. But it doesn't change the law so I'm not moving.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Irrelevant but it gets better. We are totally wasting our time and it's my fault.
Irrelevant? Really? Did you even bother to read it? Sometimes I don't know why I even bother.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM

OK, I was hoodwinked by the press again this week. After more consideration I call BS on this. The resolution is nothing more than Rowan asking that the GA declare agreement about how they feel. It introduces no law nor changes any law. If you want to go slippery slope on me then fine. You can think there's another bill behind this one to introduce the Church of North Carolina but they are testing the waters first.

I believe it is nothing more than saying that no court rulings to date are valid to retrain a citizen from praying on their own just because they are elected to office. Praying before a meeting (to them) is not an invocation of the government but one of the individual that others may say Amen too if they please. The municipality has not declared that a certain religion's God should be invoked by the political body but rather that the individual offering the prayer should not be silenced.

Lines 15-19 are nutty and some other parts are too but this is a proposed resolution not legislature. This is to convey feelings not create or change law.

If you see it any other way, please state so but constrain yourself to what is written down and quoted by from the sources and not what might or could happen once we tread down this dangerous highway.

I apologies for my cut and paste on the subject title. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina