Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,296,170 times

Advertisements

Several GOP-led measures in the state legislature this year have sought to strip power from cities, reflecting the party's belief that municipalities are overreaching their power.

Besides last year creating an authority for Asheville aiport plans in the works for the same for Charlotte.

A bill last week is to take Asheville water system and put it under a metropolitan control without compensating the city. Also prevent Asheville from using water utility revenue used in street repair.

A bill to limit homeowners adhere to design standards.

A bill for a constitutional amendment eliminating extraterritorial jurisdiction, a tool that helps cities control development on their borders.

Tax reform bills that would eliminate revenue resources such as franchise and business taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,466,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Several GOP-led measures in the state legislature this year have sought to strip power from cities, reflecting the party's belief that municipalities are overreaching their power.

Besides last year creating an authority for Asheville aiport plans in the works for the same for Charlotte.

A bill last week is to take Asheville water system and put it under a metropolitan control without compensating the city. Also prevent Asheville from using water utility revenue used in street repair.

A bill to limit homeowners adhere to design standards.

A bill for a constitutional amendment eliminating extraterritorial jurisdiction, a tool that helps cities control development on their borders.

Tax reform bills that would eliminate revenue resources such as franchise and business taxes.
[LEFT]
Read more here: New N.C. legislature puts state's biggest cities on the defensive | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]
Don't forget that they made annexation almost impossible last year.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,515,074 times
Smaller government eh?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,034,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Smaller government eh?
The part of the government that is most important is the part of the government that they control. Now that the state government is completely controlled by the Republicans for the first time in any of our lifetimes, it's no surprise to me that the state government is now going to make sure that they control as much as they possibly can by limiting the power of cities, counties, etc.
I think it's ironic that they say that this is all necessary because cities are overreaching their power.

Not to worry, you'll get smaller government....smaller and less powerful local government. Cities' interests will be represented though by their gerrymandered state reps and senators whose districts often include small slivers of cities but not enough of them to outweigh the rural constituency. The rest of us will be represented by a permanent minority of progressive and powerless representation.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,517,978 times
Cities and towns are overreaching what they should be controlling. I own property that is inside no town but the nearby town controls what I can do with the land although they give me no service or benefit. If cities want to control the zoning of an area then they should annex it if they can provide services to it. Otherwise they need to mind their own business.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM

3,068 posts, read 4,806,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Cities and towns are overreaching what they should be controlling. I own property that is inside no town but the nearby town controls what I can do with the land although they give me no service or benefit. If cities want to control the zoning of an area then they should annex it if they can provide services to it. Otherwise they need to mind their own business.
So you should be able to have a huge junkyard that fills your property and affects the value of those in town?

The legislators should ask themselves "why" these measures were in place to begin with...was it some ideological interpretation or was it just common sense.

Any changes should be common sense changes not based on some ideology.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM

50 posts, read 55,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
So you should be able to have a huge junkyard that fills your property and affects the value of those in town?

The legislators should ask themselves "why" these measures were in place to begin with...was it some ideological interpretation or was it just common sense.

Any changes should be common sense changes not based on some ideology.
Yeah, if I want to have a huge junkyard in town I should be allowed to have one without getting beaten down by a pack of wild dog anti-liberty conservatives. Your property value is not my concern buddy!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,153,567 times
Who would have thought amendment one would only be the BEGINNING of the madness in NC?

What a tragic comedy. I have chosen poorly which state to invest in. Which makes me angry because I've spent decades investing in NC and now my future is at stake so rich republicans can grease palms with crony capitalists and the religious right.

I used to marvel at what would make a man snap and do terrible things to others. I'm starting to understand now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina