Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

My kids love it. We first took our oldest when she was about 2 and loved seals. She was thrilled to see them swimming and they have always enjoyed it even now at 9 & 12. Unless your child has a particular animal she really likes, at age 2 I'd say the experience is more about your comfort level. I'm not comfortable with animals in small cages and my kids aren't either. They don't want to go see animals in small enclosures. (I just asked the how they liked the NC Zoo, and that's what they said.)

We go in the summer, but we don't mind hot weather. We love to get out and about in the summer and can't wait for it to warm up!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM

209 posts, read 462,075 times
Keep in mind that the NC Zoo is the largest walk-through zoo in the world.

It's been about two years since I've visited, but I do think it's worth it.

I also believe they're undergoing/just finished an expansion.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM

46 posts, read 102,898 times
Might looks into the zoo in Columbia SC. I think the animals are much more accessible there. I believe it is the top tourist attraction in SC.
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden :: Columbia, South Carolina

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
The NC Zoo just reopened their annual dinosaur exhibit. We were thinking of taking our 2 year old because he loves dinosaurs. It seems like it's similar to the one at the Museum of Life and Science but bigger?

NC Zooâ„¢ - North Carolina Zoo : Dinosaur Exhibit

Old 04-04-2013, 03:39 PM

209 posts, read 462,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
The NC Zoo just reopened their annual dinosaur exhibit. We were thinking of taking our 2 year old because he loves dinosaurs. It seems like it's similar to the one at the Museum of Life and Science but bigger?

NC Zoo™ - North Carolina Zoo : Dinosaur Exhibit
Carowinds also just opened a new walk-through Dinosaur experience. You'll still have to pay for admission into the park and it's an extra $5, but it's something we haven't seen before and would make a good day trip.

http://www.carowinds.com/things-to-do/dinosaurs-alive

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
It is worth a trip. I pushed a stroller in the rain all over that place. My feelings for the zoo, as a result of the rain, hills, and stroller is a little jaded!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM

112 posts, read 237,466 times
It's a gem of a Zoo. We went in August as well as recently in the winter. There may be a lot of walking, but I suggest to bring a long camera lens/even binoculars and ask for feeding times.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Nice work!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
It's a great zoo. One of the best in the country. Yes, it is huge and yes, the animals have a lot of space and you might not always see them. That's a good thing though isn't it, that they have space? I always feel pretty crummy seeing wolves or big cats in what basically amount to cages in other zoos.

Bear in mind, you'll see animals in the vast majority of exhibits if you go. Sometimes the elephants are elusive--their exhibit is larger than many entire zoos. The wolves and bears can also be a bit elusive sometimes. Otherwise everything else tends to be visible.

The walking isn't bad, except in the heat of summer. Don't go on the hottest days. That does tend to be miserable!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
It's a great zoo. One of the best in the country. Yes, it is huge and yes, the animals have a lot of space and you might not always see them. That's a good thing though isn't it, that they have space? I always feel pretty crummy seeing wolves or big cats in what basically amount to cages in other zoos.
I was very disappointed when I visited the famous San Diego zoo last year. I was surprised at how small the areas were for the animals. I much prefer the NC Zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina