Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 PM

21 posts, read 47,312 times

Advertisements

I just put my house up for sale on long island me and my wife are in our
40's I have a nine year old boy I work as a collection agent for the major hospital on long island but we are just not making it here anymore and are fed
up with the rudeness , the profanity, the outright disrespect I've heard
a lot about the carolinas from different sources and I know some people who
have moved to the apex area , I'm concerned with job opportunites , I have
collections and banking experiance for over 9 years and my wife is a teachers
aide , I am currently going for my personal trainer certificate which may help
me open up future job opportunites I need to find an area that has all the big
stores , like best buy , gamestop , target as well as malls , and japanese restaurants me and my wife are big sushi eaters we love all types of ethnic food
including thai food , mexican etc. I can afford to purchase house up to $239,000 what would be the best choices for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,076,408 times
My advice would be to steer clear of the areas on this forum everyone is always talking about..be it Cary or Raleigh suburbs, Charlotte, Mooresville, Huntersville, etc. The reason is there is alot of growth problems in these areas and is mostly occupied by the same atmosphere you are fleeing. I would venture about a county away in either direction. You can get a lot more house for your money, with more land. For someone who has lived in the Lake Norman area my entire life, I would tell anyone that it is getting really overpriced, overcrowded and overhyped.

For now, stay away from Union, Cabarrus, and southern Iredell counties.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:00 PM

I hear mixed things about all areas , I heard that wake county has good schools
I dont care if traffic gets a little heavy as long as people are polite and i'm
more concerned about having big stores and diverse restaurants do you know any good areas for that

Old 10-07-2006, 03:10 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,076,408 times
The point I was making is that you will be joining thousands of others from NJ and NY moving to NC. If traffic doesnt bother you then thats good. Unfortunately I do not know alot about Wake county schools. I would post in the Raleigh forums area and search there as well, you will find alot more info there. I can tell you that NC is one big shopping center with plenty of Walmarts and Targets to choose from every few miles.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,565,159 times
C. Native.......it's just not going to click. Money and Forbes have done so many stories on this area that people aren't going to budge on their opinions and hopes of the area until they move here.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:41 PM

Okay so what area of the carolinas would either of you recommend

Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,818,951 times
I like the Lake Norman area! But hey thats just me.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:02 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,265,290 times
I think the Triad could be good for you. That's Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem. Burlington is also close by. There are plenty of nice, small towns near these bigger towns to buy a home and send your kids to school if you'd prefer living outside the hustle and bustle (by NC standards), but still being close enough to the shops and restaurants to get there in a decent amount of time.

All the best!

Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 AM

thanks i'll look into those area some more it's the first i've heard of them
how are the job opportunites

Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 AM

480 posts, read 2,826,686 times
Sounds like you live in the bad part of a bad town. Certainly not living on the North Shore.

With your background, I'd be concerned about job opportunities. Best to find a job before you move.

I don't understand why your requirements are focused around stores and restaurants, when it should be focused around good schools for your son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJARICK View Post
I just put my house up for sale on long island me and my wife are in our
40's I have a nine year old boy I work as a collection agent for the major hospital on long island but we are just not making it here anymore and are fed
up with the rudeness , the profanity, the outright disrespect I've heard
a lot about the carolinas from different sources and I know some people who
have moved to the apex area , I'm concerned with job opportunites , I have
collections and banking experiance for over 9 years and my wife is a teachers
aide , I am currently going for my personal trainer certificate which may help
me open up future job opportunites I need to find an area that has all the big
stores , like best buy , gamestop , target as well as malls , and japanese restaurants me and my wife are big sushi eaters we love all types of ethnic food
including thai food , mexican etc. I can afford to purchase house up to $239,000 what would be the best choices for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina