Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times

Advertisements

The wackos have taken charge of our great state, and the people have themselves to blame.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Do these legislators actually have support from their local constituents for these crazy proposals? If so, that's scary... and sad.
They gerrymandered themselves, with the help from Art Pope's money, into largely foolproof districts, so they know/think they can run amock and have NO consequences to face, especially since turnout at the next 2-year election can be expected to be a low as it usually is. This is far from the most ridiculous Big-Brothery bill we're going to see from the so-called "Party of less government intrusion".

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I think voting Libertarian might be the only answer to the other two parties nutjobbery.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The wackos have taken charge of our great state, and the people have themselves to blame.....
You are so right! If we actually go out and vote these bozos out of office next year, maybe we can regain some sanity in the GA! I know that NC is a conservative state overall, but I dont believe that the majority of people support this right wing extremism like they think! If they keep running this state like dictators, they will be overthrown in the form of being voted out of office come 2014 because people are going to be so fed up with their nonsense, no amount of gerrymandering is going to save them, you can push people but so far!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 04-07-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I think voting Libertarian might be the only answer to the other two parties nutjobbery.
I can agree with that sentiment, but around here it's just wasting your vote in major elections.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
I have relatives in Illinois who have divorced quite easily and later have regretted their decision to pursue a divorce.

Sometimes time makes a person realize things about themselves, and about the partner and marriage they're in.

Just sayin'.

best,
toodie

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Who the hell cares if two people have decided to call it quits?
Their kids?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is beyond stupid and could prove very dangerous for folks in domestic violence situations. Who the hell cares if two people have decided to call it quits?
I agree this certainly has me worried for domestic violence victims. The number of domestic violence homicides increased in NC for 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Their kids?
I don't think we should make blanket condemnations for divorce. There have been studies to show staying in a high conflict marriage can do more damage to children.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I don't think we should make blanket condemnations for divorce. There have been studies to show staying in a high conflict marriage can do more damage to children.
And then there's that pesky third option that no one seems to want to talk about: working through problems and fixing the conflict through hard work and selflessness and avoiding divorce at the same time.

I know there are occasions where divorce is inevitable, such as when one spouse has a chemical dependency problem or is physically abusive and refuses to seek help. But come on, seriously. I have seen so many divorces happen just because one of the partners feels "bored" or wants to feel attractive to someone of the opposite sex besides their spouse. Selfish. Selfish and devastating for kids who didn't ask to be brought into the world and see their family torn apart for such stupid reasons. If this law makes people think longer and harder and work at their marriages more before throwing in the towel, how can that be a bad thing? There should be exceptions for abuse, but then again, if someone wants out, they could say that their husband complaining about dinner one night constitutes emotional abuse. There are so many gray areas in this type of thing. The bottom line, though, is that way too many people have opted for divorce for silly reasons when the problems could have been surmounted for the sake of the kids and for the sake of keeping the vows (promises) that they made.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And then there's that pesky third option that no one seems to want to talk about:
No one seems to want to talk about making it harder to get married in the first place.

The only sure way to reduce the number of divorces is to reduce the number of married.
Ideally that will reduce the rate of divorce as well.

Similarly... don't allow something as stupid as an unplanned pregnancy by a pair of woefully
unprepared kids be the basis to suggest that they should get married. Don't allow (let alone
encourage) marriage and parenthood by people unable to provide even for themselves

Do something constructive about the woefully unprepared and unplanned for conceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina