Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
So what's run down about Winston-Salem? Have you been here lately? Like any city, there are some old buildings, but there's a major push to renovate/repurpose many of them. The downtown area has experienced an amazing renaissance over the past 10 years, and the momentum is still there. Lots going on to make it even better.
There are some nice parts of downtown Winston, but overall I still think most of it is dingy! Maybe I do like more modern, new, clean and vibrant, that's why I prefer Charlotte over Winston-Salem! I do like downtown Greensboro though, it is rather clean and vibrant, especially over the last 5 years!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 04-12-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
However keep an eye out for Fayetteville. The city has been growing fast and recently passed the 200,000 mark. Fayetteville is on the heels of Winston-Salem and Durham. But Fayetteville still has a small town urban core which hasn't caught up with its population growth.
Fayetteville's city population only made such a big jump because it annexed a nice-sized chunk of Fort Bragg. Only a huge annexation like that could explain why the city added more people than the entire metro in the previous decade.

Quote:
Its interesting to see how large certain cities would be today under different circumstances. For example, If Wilmington had become a major port city like some of the major cities in this country, it might be the largest city in NC today. Wilmington could have even grown to the size of a city like Baltimore or Boston. (Same scenario with Charleston, SC which at one time was a major U.S. city)
Nah, it really couldn't have. If NOLA didn't get to that size then there's no way Wilmington could, especially with the geographic/economic factors in the postbellum period that favored the Piedmont over the coast.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
The BRAC (Base Realignment And Closures) brought some new military families to Fayetteville and the changing nature of the military has also brought many new people over the past couple of decades. Used to be that the typical soldiers were all young single guys, now there are many family men and women in the military so that one soldier may bring a spouse and 2 kids along instead of just him or herself.

My vote goes to the Triad for the next up and coming place. I get a good vibe about a lot of interesting things happening there like the RiverRun Film Festival, etc.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,704 times
Cities such as Jacksonville, Columbus and Fayetteville will grow as long as their bases expand and grow. I think Greenville will be the next hotspot. The city is already home to ECU which is one of the largest universities in NC. The city is not that far from the beach and it is located in an area that is screaming for growth.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Cities such as Jacksonville, Columbus and Fayetteville will grow as long as their bases expand and grow. I think Greenville will be the next hotspot. The city is already home to ECU which is one of the largest universities in NC. The city is not that far from the beach and it is located in an area that is screaming for growth.
I agree! ECU is a nice school and Greenville is pretty nice! This state has so much potential for greatness, I wonder if we fully understand that, from our leaders to the residents themselves!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
While NC is blessed to have a large, economic center like Charlotte and a powerful university triangle, what other cities/towns (small or mid-sized) could also have a bright future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Winston/Greensboro just aren't cutting it for me.

They can built business parks, open factories, ect. Yes, it will employ people, no it doesn't make it anymore of a "big" city mindset and isn't receiving national attention or the growth. IMO, there's nothing that stands out. Nothing makes either a "tier 1 city", other then population.

Im confused in your original post you are asking which city will be next North Carolina economic hot spot.

Then you threw Greensboro Winston Salem under the bus because theuy are setting themselves up in providing jobs but to you jobs dont translate to an economic hot spot.
Then you claim there not tier 1 which is not what you ask in your OP and if that the case these other cities mention dont fit your criteria whatever that criteria is to you at the moment.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
fDi Magazine, which is apart of the Financial Times, named Greenville one of their top 10 Micro City of the “American Cities of the Future 2013/14.”

Greenville is listed as the #10 Overall Micro City of the Future, #8 Micro City for Human Resources, and #8 Micro City for FDI Strategy. Greenville is ranked in the Micro Cities category, which includes cities with populations under 100,000.

Greenville, NC Named a Top Ten City of the Future | Pitt County Development Commission

There is an independent voice that state what I believe OP is looking for.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im confused in your original post you are asking which city will be next North Carolina economic hot spot.

Then you threw Greensboro Winston Salem under the bus because theuy are setting themselves up in providing jobs but to you jobs dont translate to an economic hot spot.
Then you claim there not tier 1 which is not what you ask in your OP and if that the case these other cities mention dont fit your criteria whatever that criteria is to you at the moment.
No. In my first post, I was referring to the two areas in NC that are currently growing at the fastest rates and what each city has to offer.

In no way did I mean which NC towns could be the next Charlotte. I'm asking for _________ reason could ________ city/town become the next town in NC to see it's population "boom".

Also, I was replying to the Greensboro poster who said Greensboro and Winston Salem were tier 1 cities.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM

50 posts, read 111,652 times
Wilmington for sure. It's growing fast, even with the economy in the state it's in. Once it gets back to where it should be Wilmington will grow rapidly, and exponentially.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM

50 posts, read 111,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Doubt it. Asheville likes being what it is, and a place with breakneck job and population growth ain't it.

I terms of growth percentages, it seems like Wilmington qualifies.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem have what it takes, but it remains to be seen if they will become modern-day boomtowns a la Charlotte and the Triangle.
Just a sidenote:
To Mutiny77, meant to rate your post positively! I hit the button beside the quote button with the paper icon and plus sign, because I thought it mean rate positively. Then I saw the rate positively button. My mistake! Regardless, I still rated it positively once I saw the button for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina