U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 184,463 times

Advertisements

If you live near an intersection that presently or formerly contains a gasoline station, you may be at risk. Many gas stations over the years had leaking petroleum tanks/lines.

Many of these sites sit there vacant. The sources migrate and become a bigger problem with time. Many environmentalist believe in natural attenuation over time. In due time, most pollutants will run their course laterally and vertically through the soil and groundwater. No one in their "right" mind can say for sure, how far a contaminate will travel and at what level.

I see many wells located adjacent, even down gradient from old gasoline stations that have been shut down, etc. Please have your water tested for gasoline/diesel constiuents.

This is a serious ordeal, please do not take it lightly. Don't take my word for it! Look in your phone book and see for yourself. You will see tens of environmental companies listed in each city. Raleigh alone, has over 60 environmental consultant firms/companies.

Subsurface contamination is a huge issue that hardly gets notice. What you can't see, tatse, feel, won't hurt you, BS!

I have sampled many wells with heavy contamination. I have seen properties, wells, surface waters impacted from heating oil tanks, commercial fuel tanks, surface spills, buried debris, industrial leaks, etc.

Please have your water tested! It only cost approximately $100 for a standard groundwater sample that will detect most constiuents related to petroleum.

Please take notice, that NC has a huge problem with Arsenic. Hundreds of wells are on the verge of being condemned eventually, due to high levels of arsenic, naturally occurring in the soils.

Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM

674 posts, read 681,750 times
Dang, I thought this thread would be about wine! Hehe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: