Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 48,981 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from NC to Ohio..The only places I would go back to in NC would be Wilmington or the Sylva/Cullowhee area...Both are beautiful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 54,352 times
Yeah, those areas are cold and quite different: Asheville is quite eclectic (relatively speaking), Brevard is south of Asheville and is not much more than a crossroads but has access to the park; Black Mountain is E of Asheville up 40; if you're looking to acquire land, much is state owned - anything under state jurisdiction is subject to state law which means leash law. If you go without and your dog bites someone, kiss your house goodbye. This is pretty well standard nationally after dog attacks and precedents set in CA.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Hands down at the coastal area where I live is the hurricanes that you can pretty well count on at least one every other year or so. We have been 3 years without a major one although Ophelia hit us last years. The last one before here was Isabelle in 2003. But let me tell you, Floyd in 1999 flooded nearly everything in the eastern part of the state. We had no deaths in Greene County but I believe state wide about 42 people died. And believe me, just north of here, one area was hit so hard it floated the caskets out of the ground in one of the cemetaries. It was horrible. Most of them didn't have the names on the outside of the casket like they do now and they had to be opened and some were identified by the burial clothes. I have lived in North Carolina my entire life, and the vast majority of that is where I am now. I am about the 11th generation of my family that has lived and died here. But the hurricanes can really be unnerving particularly when they are hard to predict. Also when we get snow here, it is not that often. So when we get it, it pretty much closes the entire town down. The worse storm we have had that I can remember was in April, 1980. They told us to expect 2 inches and we got 2 feet of the stuff. It was one big mess. But on a whole, I have to say that I love North Carolina. I can't imagine living anywhere else. And like it is everywhere else, you learn to live with the bad things. The beaches are great, the mountains are great, and on a whole, the people are some of the most caring people in the world. You have a problem, the communities stand behind you 100%. At least in the smaller areas. Also that can be bad as well. People who know you and have been in the county as long as you have know everything about your personal life as well. But I have adapted. And for the most part everyone I know of has the same take on North Carolina that I have.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Obviously, the worst thing about NC is "Corpral Punishment" in their schools.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:40 PM

58 posts, read 344,486 times
Being a native New Yorker, even after years of living here I think the 2 worst things are the HUMIDITY in the summer and that some people are still fighting the Civil War!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 PM

192 posts, read 654,863 times
I'm a lifelong resident of the Coastal Plain region of NC--without a doubt....it's the wretched, stiffling summer HUMIDITY. The air is thick, heavy & wet. Feels like we're breathing wet cement. And just as bad, you feel like you are covered in a film of perspiration, all over your body, the moment you set foot outside the door.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
I'm a lifelong resident of the Coastal Plain region of NC--without a doubt....it's the wretched, stiffling summer HUMIDITY. The air is thick, heavy & wet. Feels like we're breathing wet cement. And just as bad, you feel like you are covered in a film of perspiration, all over your body, the moment you set foot outside the door.

In adding to his/her post, if you have respiratory problems, the coastal area of NC is probably not a good place to settle down. As stated above, it is not uncommon for the air temp to hit the high 90's or lower 100's in July and August. And the moist, sticky air makes for some miserable living if you are accustomed to a cooler climate.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:13 PM

131 posts, read 188,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk
Being a native New Yorker, even after years of living here I think the 2 worst things are the HUMIDITY in the summer and that some people are still fighting the Civil War!
Have you done your part to show them that is in the past or do you some how kindle the fire?

Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic
Have you done your part to show them that is in the past or do you some how kindle the fire?
I've noticed that family heritage and history is a very important aspect of the lives of many NC families too. Some families have been here for over 350 years. That's over a 100 years before the United States was even a dream. It's also worth mentioning that the population had serious reservations about being a part of new independent nation, the United States of America. It was a very hard sell by the founding fathers to bring the Carolina Colony on board to the concept.

Compared to the northern states, the losses suffered by NC during the Civil War were massive, especially considering the small population of less than 1 million residents. Around 4% of the total population of NC died during the war. No other southern state gave more in the cause of freedom from a centralized government. The war was not unlike the War of Independence fom England.

The war was very up close and personal for the general population too. The burning of southern homesteads and the destruction of their ability to provide for their families by Union soliders was not uncommon, causing starvation and disease. That's something families never forget in any region. Something for new residents to remember when making North Carolina their home. We love to have ya, but please be respectful of our heritage.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-14-2006 at 10:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2006, 07:55 AM

110 posts, read 168,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk
I just visited Raleigh. Am I blind? I didn't see this. Now I was only there for a weekend but I have to tell you EVERYONE was freindly. There were ALL cultures represented and I didn't come across anyone with an attitude or chip on their shoulder. I have a positive outlook on different cultures and people respond warmly to me. I've only visited about 33 states in the US, North Carolina so far is the friendliest

You want Humitiy-come to Orlando in August!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina