Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,921,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Having lived here my entire life, the weather is indeed the worst. We have only two seasons here, Summer and Winter. I suppose you could call the 1-2 week transition in between the two "Spring & Fall", but I certainly don't.
Where in NC is "here"?

Did you know that the average annual temperature at Southport, NC is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell near Burnsville, NC is lower than that of Buffalo, NY, according to the National Climatic Data Center? It just depends on where you live in North Carolina.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-09-2006 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 12:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF
Having been a Native NYer most of my life I have to say the HUMIDITY is by far the worst thing about NC.

Would you say the humidity in Nc is like the humidity in Florida?

I used to love the Florida humidity in Florida.

Weird I know.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,935 times
Cool Worst thing about NC........

Well I live in the Piedmont area, am about 3 hours from the coast and less than 3 hours from the mountains. I can't think of a thing bad about living here. I'd just like to be 30 minutes from the mountains. I think everyone should see the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,705 times
My husband and I are looking into the Charlotte area. I hope is to live in a 'historical home'. I would really respect the community, but can a newcomer just barge into town and buy an old home? Ya'll have me worried about people accepting newbies. I understand - I live in the county that was the fastest growing in the country last year.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,142,585 times
My parents lived in Florida for about 10 years. We visited in July and I thought I would die just walking from their condo to the car! No way do we have that humidity in NC. Although...in August...there are days when you can just stand outside and SWEAT! And for you that don't know this...it isn't "ladylike" for a southern girl to sweat!!! I'd say the humidity in Raleigh in August is close to the humidity of Florida but not quite as bad. I guess its all in your perspective. We do have a saying in NC...if you don't like the weather...wait 15 minutes and it will change! Vicki

Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
My husband and I are looking into the Charlotte area. I hope is to live in a 'historical home'. I would really respect the community, but can a newcomer just barge into town and buy an old home? Ya'll have me worried about people accepting newbies. I understand - I live in the county that was the fastest growing in the country last year.

Check out Davidson they have some beautiful older homes there. Beautiful little town but close to everything.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,844,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Check out Davidson they have some beautiful older homes there. Beautiful little town but close to everything.
A1m,
How far are you from the lake now?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,921,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Would you say the humidity in Nc is like the humidity in Florida?

I used to love the Florida humidity in Florida.

Weird I know.
This is what the National Climatic Data Center has to say about North Carolina's humidity - The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65%. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75%. The least amount of actual moisture is found in the higher mountains. The lower temperatures, however, result in relative humidities that are about the same as elsewhere in the state.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 AM

954 posts, read 4,366,714 times
I lived in Western NC for 5 years and Eastern NC for 7 years. If you want any semblance of a winter, then go to Asheville. The major overcrowding and over development is really in the Piedmont area. I was in Greenville in the East, and while it is growing rapidly, they just keep turning old farmland in to subdivisions. It is flat as a pancake there, so the topography makes expansion fairly easy.
If I ever moved back to Carolina it would definitely be Asheville. While I have heard it described as a city of snobs surrounded by hillbillys, that would still be my choice.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:52 PM

359 posts, read 1,308,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
Obviously, the worst thing about NC is "Corpral Punishment" in their schools.
hell then you have never lived in los angeles....THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING! I'm shocked though, I had no clue they still do that and I'm 42! But I must say I am for it! These bad ass kids need it, it's for sure parents like you won't do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina