Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

We are going to be leaving upstate NY behind in about 3 years. We are deciding the best fit for us. We'll be in our early 50's by then. No children at home-one will be in college at the time. My parents relocated north in the 50's to work for Texaco. My Mother had been from Eden(Leaksville), my Dad from Danville, VA. My family is in the Winston-Salem to Boone on Mom's side, Dad's are Richmond to Rocky Mount.

I am a school bus dispatcher here. Looking for to find out how to apply for jobs in school districts. My Hubby was a concrete dispatcher, but construction here is all gone and his job too for the last 4 years. He's been working part time for a durable medical goods company filling and delivering oxygen tanks. Not the best paying job let me tell you.

I know some about areas my family still lives. I used to spend summers down in Smithfield. What we want is a nice area-no HOA's please. Don't need the hustle and bustle of a city area. We grew up in what used to be a rural area-now is a bedroom community for NYC commuters. We like fishing and camping. Hubby has been in a gun club for hunting for over 25 years. We have been down to SC for the last 15 years camping at Myrtle Beach and would love to go now to the Outer Banks.

Also looking to get guesstimates for other things. Such as car insurance, home owners, utility costs, personal property tax and where to find answers on that. We will probably rent to make sure the area is what we are looking for at first and make sure it's a good fit. I still would like to be near my family, since being up here by myself certainly isn't any fun.

Ok, fire away! Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Don't come to NC unless you want your community to be governed by conservative dip$hit teabag hicks from rural NC. The new teabagger General Assembly is making a mockery of our once fine state.

But if you like things like:
Anti-nipple laws
An official state religion
Constitutional AMENDMENTS to limit civil rights (we passed this beauty just LAST YEAR, not in 1965!!!)
A rollback of nearly all meaningful environmental regulations
Your "freedoms" dictated by big business

Then come on down. We have a wannabe fascist-governed state just for you!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Don't come to NC unless you want your community to be governed by conservative dip$hit teabag hicks from rural NC. The new teabagger General Assembly is making a mockery of our once fine state.

But if you like things like:
Anti-nipple laws
An official state religion
Constitutional AMENDMENTS to limit civil rights (we passed this beauty just LAST YEAR, not in 1965!!!)
A rollback of nearly all meaningful environmental regulations
Your "freedoms" dictated by big business

Then come on down. We have a wannabe fascist-governed state just for you!
Well after leaving the Vampire State-anything else would be a walk in the park.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Ok, fire away! Looking forward to hearing suggestions.
Anywhere outside of the major cities would be good for you. However, you sound like you are more familiar with the central part. Please do some reading to help you narrow down places. For example, Eden has been described on this form as full of drug dealers. Smithfield is probably still an OK place although the Raleigh suburbs are approaching.

Here's a site for some school bus driver jobs: Look for Jobs - North Carolina Public School Jobs

I haven't see jobs for bus dispatchers. You should check each county web site individually by googling "school jobs xxxxx county". Sorry, but I haven't seen an easier way, and there are 100 counties. FWIW, I saw a sign in outside a school in Lenoir County looking for bus drivers.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Do you like golf?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Do you like golf?
I've never played. Two of my girls played 4 years varsity golf though-they'd love to play some courses around the area. One thing we are not interested in-never will convince me either-of living in a HOA. It's worse than high school drama sometimes. I want my own little slice of Heaven and no one to tell me what color my mail box should be.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Anywhere outside of the major cities would be good for you. However, you sound like you are more familiar with the central part. Please do some reading to help you narrow down places. For example, Eden has been described on this form as full of drug dealers. Smithfield is probably still an OK place although the Raleigh suburbs are approaching.

Here's a site for some school bus driver jobs: Look for Jobs - North Carolina Public School Jobs

I haven't see jobs for bus dispatchers. You should check each county web site individually by googling "school jobs xxxxx county". Sorry, but I haven't seen an easier way, and there are 100 counties. FWIW, I saw a sign in outside a school in Lenoir County looking for bus drivers.
I am more familiar with the central areas that's for sure. I've heard Eden isn't what my Mother grew up in that's for sure. My Grandfather was a architect there and many of his places are listed with the National Historic Registry. So only will go back there to visit the cemetery and take pictures.

We've been in a bedroom community for a city-not sure it's what I am looking for again. Last time I was down in July 2012-you could see the suburbs spreading that's for sure. We'd thought about the New Bern area, even the Atlantic Beach area also, but were afraid of the insurance rates for hurricanes there.

I can drive a school bus too-I've got my CDL B. But being in management now-I'd want to see if I can stay there. I hope to finish up and have my SBDI(school bus driver instructor) and my 19A Examiner certificate before I come down(maybe even be a Master instructor by then). Hopefully that would be the ticket to getting hired locally-but I can always freelance like one person I know and go all over the country to train drivers/school districts.

I'll have to keep looking around to see what's around as the time gets closer. I figured I'd look for work about a year before we leave here. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Hopefully that would be the ticket to getting hired locally-but I can always freelance like one person I know and go all over the country to train drivers/school districts.

I'll have to keep looking around to see what's around as the time gets closer. I figured I'd look for work about a year before we leave here.
I understand better now. I'm not sure how many less-populated counties would need a full-time trainer. Perhaps the free-lance idea is best.

I also think it is smart to look for a year, to get a feel for the market for your skills. Just be aware that some rural counties are losing population, and many have to cut back their school budgets.

Moore, Harnett and Lee Counties are growing and draw people who commute both to Fort Bragg and to the Raleigh area. However, there are parts which are still rural, and you can find one acre or more home sites. The construction business is still pretty good in these counties, but would suffer if the Feds cut military budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina