Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM

130 posts, read 503,426 times

Advertisements

Paid off our one and only vehicle a couple of months ago. Just recently got the new auto insurance premiums in the mail and it is about $25 cheaper/month. Is this likely tied to not having a lienholder or is it just some fluke in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Is this likely tied to not having a lienholder or is it just some fluke in NC?
Unless you dumped the comprehensive coverage that the lien requires... it's a fluke.

ps: My auto insurance went down but the house policy went up.
Like Blondie said, one way or another they're gonna getcha.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Yeah, I've never heard of rates changing due to a payoff. It's more likely that it was the normal adjustment as the car ages, or perhaps a rate adjustment for any number of other things.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
actually, it depends on what carrier. I am an agent and have a carrier that uses a lienholder as part of the rating formula, so in that case, it would matter. But to be honest with you, most don't factor that in, so it is probably because your car is a year older and the value has dropped.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
actually, it depends on what carrier. I am an agent and have a carrier that uses a lienholder as part of the rating formula, so in that case, it would matter. But to be honest with you, most don't factor that in, so it is probably because your car is a year older and the value has dropped.
One of course could call their agent. Makes me wonder though if lien holders typically notify insurance carries that the lien is done or not. I'm not sure why they would have to. I can understand having to have a rider to get the loan of course but am not aware of a regulation on what to do at payoff.

Or for that matter if someone paid cash for their car like I did. And if you get an online quote I don't think they ask if there's a note or not.

Just wonderin'

Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Paid off our one and only vehicle a couple of months ago. Just recently got the new auto insurance premiums in the mail and it is about $25 cheaper/month. Is this likely tied to not having a lienholder or is it just some fluke in NC?
Premiums will drop as the car ages.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
One of course could call their agent. Makes me wonder though if lien holders typically notify insurance carries that the lien is done or not. I'm not sure why they would have to. I can understand having to have a rider to get the loan of course but am not aware of a regulation on what to do at payoff.

Or for that matter if someone paid cash for their car like I did. And if you get an online quote I don't think they ask if there's a note or not.

Just wonderin'
there's a section on each policy called lienholder information. If you have a lien, your lender will require they be listed as an additional insured. This means that they get some of the same notifications you do, like cancellation of insurance notices and renewals. There is a place to put the date of the expiration of the loan, on that date, they will receive an automatic notice that they are no longer an additional insured, and are removed from the policy. If that particular carrier uses liens as part of their rating methods, at renewal it would affect the premium. But like I said, I know of at least one that does, but most of the carriers that I use do not use that as a rating factor, so it would be irrelevant in most cases.

If you obtain a quote without adding the lienholder, and it is one of the carriers that uses it as a rating, the premium will increase when you add the lienholder (and the lienholder WILL eventually require it, its just a matter of time). That's how I found out that one of my carriers had that tied in to their rating system. Carriers factor in the strangest things sometimes that don't make sense, like how may bathrooms you have and if its a half bath or full, your occupation, whether you are married or divorced, difference in pricing if your home is 3,100 feet or 3,102 feet... you really have to get to know their systems to get the best pricing. Nobody is going to dispute the exact number of square feet, or whether you have 3.5 or 4 bathrooms, or question if you are really separated, but it sometimes makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina