U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,894,727 times

Advertisements

A bill approved in a state Senate Education Committee on Wednesday would allow student groups on college and university campuses to discriminate in membership and leadership. It is scheduled for a vote in the full Senate today.

Bill would allow discrimination in college student groups | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A bill approved in a state Senate Education Committee on Wednesday would allow student groups on college and university campuses to discriminate in membership and leadership. It is scheduled for a vote in the full Senate today.

Bill would allow discrimination in college student groups | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment
Jobs, jobs, jobs, for lawyers.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM

2,669 posts, read 6,806,922 times
Our daily dose of legislative insanity.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Our daily dose of legislative insanity.
Does NC allow recalls?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Update: The bill (S719) passed with no objections in the Senate and will now head for hearing in the state House. If passed, the proposed law would prohibit public institutions in the University of North Carolina System and the state’s community colleges from enforcing their non-discrimination policies among student group leadership, effectively allowing anti-LGBT and other types of discrimination in student groups, even if those student groups receive public funding

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,247,139 times
Two steps forward, one step back....but it gets a little frightening when they start taking away freedoms while promoting discrimination. Something needs to be done - quickly - before this completely gets out of hand. I mean, who's next?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Two steps forward, one step back....but it gets a little frightening when they start taking away freedoms while promoting discrimination. Something needs to be done - quickly - before this completely gets out of hand. I mean, who's next?
This violates federal law. It will be struck down in court. Like I said, Jobs, jobs, job - for lawyers.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM

What are the steps forward because I keep seeing bottom of the cliff this state is going.

I like watching Capital Tonight on News 14 to find out about local politics and even though majority of last night was talking about revision to Personal Care Act but since yesterday was anniversary of Amendment One the last 10 minutes they had both sides talking about changes. Capital Tonight News14 « Political News From Across North Carolina

It was hinted that they plan to go after all the local governments that offer domestic partnership starting with Buncome County.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,247,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What are the steps forward because I keep seeing bottom of the cliff this state is going.

I like watching Capital Tonight on News 14 to find out about local politics and even though majority of last night was talking about revision to Personal Care Act but since yesterday was anniversary of Amendment One the last 10 minutes they had both sides talking about changes. Capital Tonight News14 « Political News From Across North Carolina

It was hinted that they plan to go after all the local governments that offer domestic partnership starting with Buncome County.
Oh I think most of the "steps forward" are from the past at this point. Hopefully that will change, but I'm not sure it can with this legislature working with this governor.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,109,798 times
This already happens. Do non-black students join the Black Student Union or vice-versa? Do Atheists join the Christian organizations on campus? Why would you allow someone to join your student group if they had nothing in common with the group or didn't believe in their charter? This bill provides legal protection for student groups and clubs to decide who can join, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina