Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,999 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am a recent college graduate in my Mid 20's and have been offered a job in Hickory. I am from Atlanta, so I am used to the larger city. I really like outdoor activities as well. I don't know a lot about Hickory, I did get a chance to drive around there last week. Does anyone have input on the social atmosphere around Hickory for someone my age? I am also heavily considering commuting from Outer Charlotte (485 and 16) area. Charlotte seems to offer more for me, and also has a climbing gym, which for me is a big plus. Has anyone done this commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvangelderen View Post
Hey guys, I am a recent college graduate in my Mid 20's and have been offered a job in Hickory.
I am from Atlanta, so I am used to the larger city.
Does anyone have input on the social atmosphere around Hickory for someone my age?
How long do your employers expect this assignment to last?
6 mo's to a year? You tough it out.
Longer? You ask to go somewhere else altogether.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM

They are looking for a 2 year commitment

Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
If you had a young family, I'd recommend putting some roots down in Hickory and getting involved in the community, especially for the kids.

However, Hickory is nothing compared to Charlotte for a young single professional, especially if you are coming from Atlanta. If you don't mind commuting, US 321 from Gastonia is another alternative, depending on where you live and work on each end. I found commuting to be a lot more tolerable when I was young and single (many years ago).

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,977 times
You would have a reverse commute heading away from Charlotte when everyone else is trying to get in to town so that might not be a bad idea. Except for on days when you are really tired or the weather is treacherous. Something to thing about. Charlotte absolutely is better for a young person though without kids. Hickory is very family friendly. For the young and single not so much but Charlottes not far.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,297,647 times
How often will you go to work, and how often will you go climbing at the gym? I'd give Hickory a chance first, knowing that Charlotte is available as a back-up. You're used to the big city, but you might like the small one as well. It's a good time of life to try different things. (And you won't be the only person your age.)

Statesville also has a climbing gym and is about half an hour away from Hickory.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
Yeah, Hickory is less than an hour from CLIMBING Mountains. Mountain biking, kayaking, tubing, fishing, all kind of stuff is close to HICKORY. If you really like the out doors, you should love Hickory. You are a little over an hour from WS and Greensboro---they are not Atlanta but they have about all anyone should need. EZ drive, if not downright boring. Actually, you are not that far from Charlotte either.

Hell, I may move up there myself!!!

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Winston-Salem is another urban option that, while farther in miles from Hickory than Charlotte, probably wouldn't be much longer of a commute (and less everyday traffic, I suspect)? Then you'd also have Greensboro at your disposal on weekends.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys, well I do have a lot of options. I did end up taking the job. I think what I will do is look at an apartment near 485 and 16 maybe even up towards Denver. Or should I look more west of between Gastonia and 485? I figure thats a good middle ground for getting to work and being near Charlotte. Charlotte has a small climbing gym as well as the National Whitewater center which for me would be great. Winston Salem just seems a tad far mileage wise.

I had looked at Moresville/Huntersville, but I hear the traffic can be bad on 77 and that route seems to add mileage. Hows Morganton? Since that close to Asheville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina