Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM

21 posts, read 85,762 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Luke. I did find out that the modular we are looking at is "off-frame". We are having a problem finalizing the closing because the underwriters are doing an "appraisal review" which I assume means that they don't think the house is worth what the appraiser listed. Not sure, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 22,666 times
Well, There is alot that could be said here. As someone said, the quality of builders are all different in the modular industry and in the site built industry. The thing that gives the true modular builders a bad rep is the ones that claim they are true modulars are not always the case. I will say I live in a true modular home that is over 10,000 sq ft. And as far as quality is concerned, my home is built better than I would say 75% of the site built homes in my area. My home even won the SOUTH CAROLINA PINNACLE AWARD for custom built homes in the 1.5 million dollar range. My house has 2x6 walls 16in on center (most all builders have 2x4 walls),all sheetrock walls, hardwood floors, custom ceramic tile, lots of features and options that most site builders do not do. And my home WILL and HAS appreciated in value (from 1.5millon to 3M). I would suggest you thoughrly check out the builder of the modular home and ask lots of questions. Go to www.Superiorcustomhomes.com (broken link) and get some helpful info here. Not everyone always knows what they are talking about when it comes to modular construction. Thank You and good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I do not want to come across as a Modular basher as they have come a long way. The last true Modular that I witnessed being put together seemed to me anyways to use cheaper material. Maybe this is because they have to get this down the highway or something to that nature.

If you are comparing apples to apples I do not think you should pay as much for a modular as a on site built home. The yquality does not match IMO.

Please note I am not trying to turn you away from a modular home I am just trying to help you out with your decision making process...

Good Luck.
Well, There is alot that could be said here. As someone said, the quality of builders are all different in the modular industry and in the site built industry. The thing that gives the true modular builders a bad rep is the ones that claim they are true modulars are not always the case. I will say I live in a true modular home that is over 10,000 sq ft. And as far as quality is concerned, my home is built better than I would say 75% of the site built homes in my area. My home even won the SOUTH CAROLINA PINNACLE AWARD for custom built homes in the 1.5 million dollar range. My house has 2x6 walls 16in on center (most all builders have 2x4 walls),all sheetrock walls, hardwood floors, custom ceramic tile, lots of features and options that most site builders do not do. And my home WILL and HAS appreciated in value (from 1.5millon to 3M). I would suggest you thoughrly check out the builder of the modular home and ask lots of questions. Go to www.Superiorcustomhomes.com (broken link) and get some helpful info here. Not everyone always knows what they are talking about when it comes to modular construction. Thank You and good luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We live in an older (1980) very simple modular. It is EXTREMELY well-built. My husband is an architect, and he says it is built better than most stick-built. My contractor who remodeled it said the same thing and HE HIMSELF lives in a modular.

As others have mentioned, once it is set a true OFF-FRAME modular is considered as any other stick-built home. They have to be built much more strongly to withstand travel. Modulars cost the same as stick-built when all is said and done, but they are built better and save time when building. Just deal with a reputable company or have a good inspection one.

Incidentally, when we bought our home last year, we had an inspector who did not even notice the home was a modular, and it was not disclosed to us (which is not required). My husband was the one who noticed later on. It is solid as a rock, and very energy efficient.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Unfortunately the term "modular" home is still often associated with "manufactured home" (trailers) and they are two entirely different things.

The good news is that the modular home term is slowly being replaced with the name "System Built Home", which should help consumers to recognize there is a difference. Modular homes are in many ways superior to stick built homes!

Anyone wanting to read an interesting article about this should go to Bob Vila's website - and if anyone knows home construction it is Bob Vila.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Unfortunately the term "modular" home is still often associated with "manufactured home" (trailers) and they are two entirely different things.
Actually, it's 3 different things:

Modular Homes

Manufactured Homes

Mobile Homes

However, mobile homes have not been produced since June of 1976 as a result of the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act. The Federal standards regulate; manufactured housing
design, construction, strength, durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality. The HUD Code also sets performance standards for the heating, plumbing, air-conditioning, thermal and electrical systems.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-09-2007 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 06:02 PM

26 posts, read 94,221 times
I PM'd you...I live in a modular....

Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We live in an older (1980) very simple modular. It is EXTREMELY well-built. My husband is an architect, and he says it is built better than most stick-built. My contractor who remodeled it said the same thing and HE HIMSELF lives in a modular.

As others have mentioned, once it is set a true OFF-FRAME modular is considered as any other stick-built home. They have to be built much more strongly to withstand travel. Modulars cost the same as stick-built when all is said and done, but they are built better and save time when building. Just deal with a reputable company or have a good inspection one.

Incidentally, when we bought our home last year, we had an inspector who did not even notice the home was a modular, and it was not disclosed to us (which is not required). My husband was the one who noticed later on. It is solid as a rock, and very energy efficient.
If you dont mind me asking........ Who built your home?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 PM

20 posts, read 36,502 times
Can anyone give me their opinion about the modular homes as a rental instead of purchasing one when relocating to Reidsville from upstate NY. I feel that until we're sure we like the new destination we don't want to invest a good portion of our retirement income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina