U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 83,391 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about modular homes? We looked at one that was built in 2001 and would not have known it was a modular if the real estate agent had not told us. I don't know too much (anything) about them. How do they stack up against regular (is that the right word?) homes? The manufacturer of the home is Crestline.

Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,546,427 times
Modular homes are like jigsaw puzzles. They are built in stages and then brought to the home sites then put together. They tend to not appreciate like a traditional stick built home. They however can be very nice homes.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM

Thank you, CharlotteAgent. Do you know if they are as sturdy as regular homes? Or why they don't appreciate as much? Does that mean you shouldn't pay as much for a modular as for a comparable stick built home?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,546,427 times
I do not want to come across as a Modular basher as they have come a long way. The last true Modular that I witnessed being put together seemed to me anyways to use cheaper material. Maybe this is because they have to get this down the highway or something to that nature.

If you are comparing apples to apples I do not think you should pay as much for a modular as a on site built home. The yquality does not match IMO.

Please note I am not trying to turn you away from a modular home I am just trying to help you out with your decision making process...

Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:28 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,192,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I do not want to come across as a Modular basher as they have come a long way. The last true Modular that I witnessed being put together seemed to me anyways to use cheaper material. Maybe this is because they have to get this down the highway or something to that nature.

If you are comparing apples to apples I do not think you should pay as much for a modular as a on site built home. The yquality does not match IMO.

Please note I am not trying to turn you away from a modular home I am just trying to help you out with your decision making process...

Good Luck.
I agree somewhat, but I've seen some new stick-built homes as I'm sure you have that were downright scary in the materials and construction methods used. Just like stick-built homes, not all factory built homes are the same. However, Modular and site-built homes are both built to the same state, regional and local codes.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 AM

I appreciate both posts! It really is a pretty home....I don't want to bug people too much with my naivete, but any info anyone has to share really is helpful. Thanks again

Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 AM

If it was me, I would hire a home construction expert to take a look at the specific home for an opinion on the construction and materials used, but again, I would do the same with a stick-built home too.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 AM

787 posts, read 3,493,596 times
We have about six on the street that I live on and like you said, once together, you can't tell the difference in them and stick built homes. We do have one that they are trying to pass off as a modular home but trust me, it is a double wide mobile home and side by side, you can tell the difference. The modular homes are brought in on large trailers that carry the home flat (the home itself has no wheels) whereas a mobile home has wheels that bring it to the final site. But they can be as expensive as stick built homes though. I know the one beside us was going for over $100,000.00 several years ago and that is high for around here.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
We have about six on the street that I live on and like you said, once together, you can't tell the difference in them and stick built homes. We do have one that they are trying to pass off as a modular home but trust me, it is a double wide mobile home and side by side, you can tell the difference. The modular homes are brought in on large trailers that carry the home flat (the home itself has no wheels) whereas a mobile home has wheels that bring it to the final site. But they can be as expensive as stick built homes though. I know the one beside us was going for over $100,000.00 several years ago and that is high for around here.
Supposedly, there's a 6,800 square foot modular built this year around Gainesville, GA for $685,000.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-11-2006 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Wow! I guess I'll have to research them a little further. This one does have a guest house with two bedrooms and a bath and 3 1/2 acres and it seems to suit our needs (my mother lives with us), so really the only hesitation I have is that it is modular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina