Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 22,472 times

Advertisements

hello my wife wants to move to NC. i am willing if i can find a country setting that i can hunt and fish without having to drive for hours. any advice as to a good location. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I would suggest areas around High Rock Lake or Badin Lake or for Mountain lake I would suggest looking around Lake Lure.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM

thank for the info now i have a good starting place

Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 21,035 times
Depending on where you want to be and if you are retired I would suggest around the Blue Ridge Parkway area or the western part of the state. Also check out a place online called "Landandfarms". It will show you what is available for sale in this area as well as all over the US but you can be very specific in your searches. That will give you a good idea of what is available here.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb122 View Post
hello my wife wants to move to NC. i am willing if i can find a country setting that i can hunt and fish without having to drive for hours. any advice as to a good location. thanks
More details needed:
job situation?
kids?
the wishes and needs of your wife - does she want to be near shopping/be in an area where she can connect and make friends?

Keep in mind that in fishing on the large lakes (High Rock/Tillery/Baden/Lure/Norman/Wylie/James) you'll be competing for space among the other recreational users. Norman, especially, can be crowded with party barges, ski-doos, and boaters in the summer. Rivers here, like the Catawba and Yadkin, draw fishermen, but the drought has caused problems - especially on the Yadkin. A lot of the ramps where boats go in have been closed due to low water.

Hunting? Go out an hour from any large city, or just outside the city limits of the smaller towns, and you can (usually) hunt. Just make sure you have permission if you are crossing private land. There are some areas where utilities own 1000s of acres (Davie and Davidson county) and allow public hunting. You might want to investigate private hunting clubs. Our acreage adjoins several hundred acres leased by a private club. I take walks back there during non-hunting seasons. A friend of mine makes a pilgrimage every few years to the eastern side of the state to hunt bear. The other seasons you'll find it easy to bag a deer. NC also has dove/turkey seasons.

One last thought: please clean up after yourself. I hear hunters yammer constantly "we pack our trash out with us!" yet our local roadside cleanup volunteers always have a big job to do after deer season ends in the early winter.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 27,037 times
I live on High Rock Lake. We have almost full pond. The drought has not affected us this time. Many days after 4:00 we will be the only boat on the water (after Labor Day). I can be in town in 12 minutes, Major Shopping 30 minutes, and Charlotte or Winston Salem are both only one hour away for pro sports, major medical. My 6 year old son just caught a huge catfish last week off our dock! The lake is beautiful this time of year.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 46,842 times
You say your wife wants to move to NC ... any particular part of NC? It's a huge state. I moved here from Vermont 15 years ago and thought I'd stay with my sister in eastern North Carolina while I checked out the rest of the state, particularly the mountains. Well, I should have researched better because NC is a huge state east to west with a good 8 to 10 hour drive between.
If you're interested in the eastern part of the state, there are lots of places known for great hunting and fishing. You can have the best of both worlds by living in or near a city the size of Greenville with universities and shopping malls, where you can drive east for less than an hour and get to Blounts Creek known for the best fishing in the area, deer hunting, duck hunting and even black bear hunting. OR, better still, live on a few wooded acres in Blount Creek (real estate is VERY affordable) and drive to Greenville or New Bern for city stuff.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 23,231 times
Default Lee & Chatham Co areas

Depending on the type fishing and hunting you want, you can find both in Lee and Chatham Counties. Jordan Lake is here for fishing and a great deal of hunting is done in the area. For hunting, if it's deer you're looking for, my husband only has to go into our woods. There are enough deer to keep him happy. We don't live in the "boonies" either..just a few miles out of town. He and two friends hunt our woods annually and we still have a thick deer population every year. We see wild turkey also. Even with us having large dogs (not hunting dogs), deer still come through out back yard and pasture areas most nights.

I'm not a huge shopper, but like to visit larger cities on occassion. Cary, Fayetteville, Greensboro are all close enough to visit on a quick shopping trip. The mountains and beach are both within a 3-4 hour trip.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Red face Thinking 0f Moving to NC

Hi:
Must be some particular reason your Wife wants to move down here and I would suggest you find out why before you start any serious searching. Does she like the city or the country? What will be your work requirements? If you are retired then this will be an easy thing but if you are still in the job market you need to be close to where your work will be. If you want to hunt and fish this can be done in many parts of the state and depends on whether you want to live in the mountains or near the coast. We live in Sampson County and can hunt deer just about 300 yards from our house.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 AM

sorry it been awhile since i have been back my wife is looking for milder winters it was -2 last night and its only the 2nd of dec we have a 13 year old so schools are a must. would like country setting.I dont mind a drive to work would like to keep it under an hour. i now work for comcast cable. not sure if comcast is in NC but would be nice for transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina