Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,925,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I haven't posted in the NC forum very much because we've already been coming to the state on vacations for years and have learned much about our chosen area (Western NC) over that time.

After a final consideration of another area and after doing some research, we confirmed that Western NC was for us so we arrived this past weekend to begin looking for our home. I'd like to tell you of a small event that meant a lot to us the day after we arrived.

We brought our RV to live in while we searched for a home. On our second day in the area, my wife went to the grocery store to stock up the fridge.

As she was standing in line, she struck up a conversation with the woman in line ahead of her. Shortly, it was discovered that my wife was from out of state but that she was actively looking to move to the area.

Since we were only on our second day in the area, my wife did not have the little store discount card for the brand of market where she was shopping. The woman, who had just finished checking out said, "Let me welcome you to NC" and then she slid her membership discount card at the register so my wife would get the discounted supermarket prices.

Her action was not requested, but was certainly appreciated. It was very nice of her and is representative of the kind of welcoming and thoughtful behavior we've usually experienced whenever we've come to town.

I just wanted to post this for folks considering NC as their new home. If you give it a chance and be considerate of others, you will be welcomed to town with open arms. That has been our experience.

If you're the person who welcomed my wife to Western NC the other day, and reading this post, thank you for the consideration you showed to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM

64 posts, read 288,420 times
Wow! That was so nice. I too have been considering to move to NC or not. Thinking about the triangle area but no Char. You made me feel more comfortable about looking more into moving there. I am looking for a teaching job. What part did you decide on?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,279,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Hi all,

I haven't posted in the NC forum very much because we've already been coming to the state on vacations for years and have learned much about our chosen area (Western NC) over that time.

After a final consideration of another area and after doing some research, we confirmed that Western NC was for us so we arrived this past weekend to begin looking for our home. I'd like to tell you of a small event that meant a lot to us the day after we arrived.

We brought our RV to live in while we searched for a home. On our second day in the area, my wife went to the grocery store to stock up the fridge.

As she was standing in line, she struck up a conversation with the woman in line ahead of her. Shortly, it was discovered that my wife was from out of state but that she was actively looking to move to the area.

Since we were only on our second day in the area, my wife did not have the little store discount card for the brand of market where she was shopping. The woman, who had just finished checking out said, "Let me welcome you to NC" and then she slid her membership discount card at the register so my wife would get the discounted supermarket prices.

Her action was not requested, but was certainly appreciated. It was very nice of her and is representative of the kind of welcoming and thoughtful behavior we've usually experienced whenever we've come to town.

I just wanted to post this for folks considering NC as their new home. If you give it a chance and be considerate of others, you will be welcomed to town with open arms. That has been our experience.

If you're the person who welcomed my wife to Western NC the other day, and reading this post, thank you for the consideration you showed to us.

This past May my husband and I were on vacation in Maggie Valley and we went to the Ingles in Waynesville and a lady in line did the same for us, we though it was very nice.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
Thats so funny. Thats something I've done and seen done so many times that I just take it for granted. Amazing how the small things in life can make life so wonderful! Welcome to NC!!! Y'all stay awhile! Vicki

Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 AM

129 posts, read 752,786 times
Hi Garth,

Having lived in western NC most of my life, I take little things like that for granted. I'm not sure where you guys are looking. I have family in Hendersonville and we live in Rutherford County. My husbands family was transplanted here over 20 years ago from England and the out pouring of "hospitality" was the reason they stayed (according to my Father in law). I think that this part of WNC is a very special place because of the sense of community that is shared.

Welcome

Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 PM

957 posts, read 2,611,763 times
Interesting. I live in Asheville and I've seen others offer and made the offer myself when someone didn't have the Ingles card, and they wouldn't let them or me do it. They would make the person fill out the form to get their own. I guess it depends on which store, which cashier.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,914,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Interesting. I live in Asheville and I've seen others offer and made the offer myself when someone didn't have the Ingles card, and they wouldn't let them or me do it. They would make the person fill out the form to get their own. I guess it depends on which store, which cashier.
It's because if the person you swipe your card for writes a check and the check bounces-you get the bite in the butt for it. I used to offer my card all the time (up here in NJ) until I found out this happens. But that was very nice of the person to do this for the OP

Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM

477 posts, read 1,579,077 times
How funny, I tried doing that for someone behind me in line (here in AZ at safeway)The checker quickly told me I could not do that and that they had to fill out their own discount card......The nerve of that woman!!!!

Last edited by sassieb75; 10-12-2006 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,889,869 times
I live in Concord and at the Food Lion up from my house, I've often offer my card to someone who didn't have one. One time, I forgot and left it in the van and the cashier said, "Don't worry", and she tood one out of the drawer she uses for those who forget/don't have one, and swiped it for me. Very nice and helpful!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,069,720 times
Dont mean to spoil the fun but Ive lived here my whole life and no one swiped their card for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina