Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,368,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
You don't get to choose where you get attacked otherwise you would only need to carry when your attacker is kind enough to email you in advance.
Do you really think you're gonna save yourself with a holstered firearm any easier than you could by running or using a can of pepper spray?

You aren't really that likely to make a major impact with a gun. Except for an increase in the likelihood that you'll be shot. By accident.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,606,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So because you say so it must be true? You've psyhco-analyzed the hundreds of thousands of permit holders and have determined they are paranoid?
Not to mention conducting a poll for how often CCW holders carry a firearm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Well, if people have guns in their house because they are paranoid, they're paranoid & stupid too. Numerous studies on actual deaths by gunshots have found the chance of a family member or visitor in a house with a gun being killed is exponentially higher than their non-gun-owning neighbors. It isn't that crazy liberal media trying to spin things, its what has actually happened. Either by heat of anger, accident, or suicide by gun. And most are suicides. In 2010, 6 out of 10 gun deaths were suicides.

I can't find any studies on all the people walking around with guns, which almost makes me paranoid...But I remember 20/20 did a special report on trained gun experts being unable to stop an attack, even when they knew they were going to be attacked. Apparently the fear/stress slows down your reaction time considerably.

We don't live in Syria, we live in NC. It doesn't seem to pay to be paranoid.
Seriously? Gun deaths are lower in households that don't own guns? This sentence alone says two things:
a) the study is ridiculous
b) there are gun deaths in households that don't own guns; meaning the gun death was probably caused by a non-family member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM

3,322 posts, read 8,584,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Do you really think you're gonna save yourself with a holstered firearm any easier than you could by running or using a can of pepper spray?

You aren't really that likely to make a major impact with a gun. Except for an increase in the likelihood that you'll be shot. By accident.
I hate to say it, but being that I am a former police officer this whole entire statement is just full of inaccuracies.

Sure people can die by accident if they have a gun and stupidly fool around with it, but that is true with fooling around with anything that could be dangerous such as alcohol, cars, etc. Heck, lots of people die every year by falling and hitting their head against toilets. Perhaps another thing we should make illegal, so that people won't die when failing in their bathroom?

If someone was shooting in my direction and I could run away safely that is the first thing I would do, but you better believe I'd pull my gun out and have it ready to go in case the person came after me or tried to harm someone else.

Please don't be the person to try and use a can of pepper spray against a someone threatening you with a gun.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,368,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Not to mention conducting a poll for how often CCW holders carry a firearm.

Seriously? Gun deaths are lower in households that don't own guns? This sentence alone says two things:
a) the study is ridiculous
b) there are gun deaths in households that don't own guns; meaning the gun death was probably caused by a non-family member.
Common sense.

You need to HAVE a gun around to be killed by one.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 PM

252 posts, read 475,426 times
Umm, this is kind of common knowledge. In the space of 5 minutes I found these studies. They aren't making it up. Its based on what has actually happened.

American Journal of Epidemiology , Volume 160, Issue 10 Pp. 929-936.
“Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.” 2004
Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

“Guns at Home Increase Dangers, Not Safety.
Based on a review of the available scientific data, Dr. Lippmann and co-authors conclude that the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.” 2010
Guns in homes can increase risk of death and firearm-related violence

“For example, a large percentage of homicides—and especially homicides in the home—occur during altercations over matters such as love, money, and domestic problems, involving acquaintances, neighbors, lovers, and family members; often the assailant or victim has been drinking. Only a small minority of homicides appear to be the carefully planned acts of individuals with a single-minded intention to kill.”
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/753058_2

"Unfortunately, the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) has been scandalously successful in suppressing public safety research into guns. The problems began when investigators funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that having a gun in the home tripled the chance that a family member would get shot."
How to Slow Firearm Deaths without Banning All Guns: Scientific American

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM

725 posts, read 1,504,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,929,304 times
hmmm bring a can of pepper spray to a gun fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITpj2SNxc2w

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 PM

725 posts, read 1,504,230 times
Quote:
Umm, this is kind of common knowledge. In the space of 5 minutes I found these studies. They aren't making it up. Its based on what has actually happened.
5 minutes of research?! You're practically an expert.

Why has gun violence declined significantly since 1993? Perhaps one factor has been the rise of the concealed carry movement? It's a lot harder to pick a victim when they might be armed.

Gun Violence | National Institute of Justice

NC numbers -

Crime In North Carolina

The North Carolina concealed carry law went into effect on December 1, 1995. Since then handgun violence has DROPPED, despite an increase of almost 3 million people in NC.

In 1995 NC had 348 handgun murders
In 2011 NC had 242 handgun murders

Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,606,037 times
Quote:

American Journal of Epidemiology , Volume 160, Issue 10 Pp. 929-936.
“Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.” 2004
Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

“Guns at Home Increase Dangers, Not Safety.
Based on a review of the available scientific data, Dr. Lippmann and co-authors conclude that the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.” 2010
Guns in homes can increase risk of death and firearm-related violence

“For example, a large percentage of homicides—and especially homicides in the home—occur during altercations over matters such as love, money, and domestic problems, involving acquaintances, neighbors, lovers, and family members; often the assailant or victim has been drinking. Only a small minority of homicides appear to be the carefully planned acts of individuals with a single-minded intention to kill.”
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/753058_2

"Unfortunately, the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) has been scandalously successful in suppressing public safety research into guns. The problems began when investigators funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that having a gun in the home tripled the chance that a family member would get shot."
How to Slow Firearm Deaths without Banning All Guns: Scientific American
But the media would neeeever suppress stories where a firearm saved a life.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,929,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
But the media would neeeever suppress stories where a firearm saved a life.
It's not a story when a CCW holder reaches for a handgun but doesn't shoot because the bad guy backed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina