Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,169,128 times

Advertisements

It's all part of the Pubs' plan. Destroy the schools so they'll produce more people who are dumb enough to vote for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,418,131 times
Wanna job and not have to join a Union, welcome to NC
Wanna buy a gun and not have to wait for a background check, welcome to NC.
Wanna carry your gun in a restaurant of a public park or in your car at school, welcome to NC

Wanna get a quality public education for your kids, better skip NC

Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM

875 posts, read 1,163,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, those arguing that the only place money could come from to pay teachers more is Medicaid ignore all of the corporate and millionaires' tax cuts, never mind private school vouchers and whatever the costs of enforcing almost the strictest voting laws in the country turn out to be. Most Medicaid services can't even be cut even if the Legislature wanted; Federally they are required in order to receive Federal match. There is actually not but a little bit of wiggle room in the Medicaid budget available for cutting, and the lobbyists keep most of those from happening.

So now our suffering public schools will be bled even drier, as will the teachers' bank accounts, just so we can pay people to take their kids OUT of the public schools.
Tired old talking points aside, I thought the lottery was supposed to solve our school funding problems? Also, where were you when the Democrats ran the legislature? As I recall teacher salaries were fairly low during that time period with nary a peep out of any of you.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wanna buy a gun and not have to wait for a background check,welcome to NC
That pesky right to choose who you work for and not have money taken out of your paycheck to fund lavish lifestyles for union bosses or support politicians you don't like.

Quote:
Wanna buy a gun and not have to wait for a background check,welcome to NC
This statement is false. You still have to pass a NICS check for all firearms except for certain private sales, same as nearly every other state.

Quote:
Wanna carry your gun in a restaurant of a public park or in your car at school, welcome to NC
Several states have laws similar to this and haven't had a problem.

Quote:
Wanna get a quality public education for your kids, better skip NC
Well an average graduation rate of 85% is nothing to be proud of, but I'm sure you will open your pocketbook to make up the funding difference right?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Tired old talking points aside, I thought the lottery was supposed to solve our school funding problems? Also, where were you when the Democrats ran the legislature? As I recall teacher salaries were fairly low during that time period with nary a peep out of any of you.
I don't know if you noticed, but there was a full-blown global economic crisis that kinda slowed everything down. Despite that, the Dems didn't lop off $500MM from the education budget while AT THE SAME TIME funding private school vouchers and cutting taxes for out of state corporations and the wealthiest in our state. Honest question, do you really equate the two? I understand if you're embarrassed by the debacle... Lord knows the Dems have embarrassed me in the past.

And why do conservatives think the ultimate comeback is "did you write a personal check"? Seriously? Does that prove anything, because it seems like an obvious logical fallacy to me... who knows, maybe I'm just stupid. I DID, afterall, graduate from public school in NC.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,972,104 times
Because as we all know, one person writing a check will solve any public program's funding trouble.

Why just the other day I generously sent $200 out of the kindness of my heart to the government of Bongo Bongo land and all their problems were fixed.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
And why do conservatives think the ultimate comeback is "did you write a personal check"? Seriously? Does that prove anything, because it seems like an obvious logical fallacy to me... who knows, maybe I'm just stupid. I DID, afterall, graduate from public school in NC.
Because I would have more respect for someone if they "walked the walk". Take more money out of your own pocket before allowing the government to take it from mine. There is not an endless supply of taxpayer money available. If you feel the government is a benevolent master that can do no wrong, you should be willing to support it during financial shortfalls. Some of us would like to keep more of the money we work for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Because as we all know, one person writing a check will solve any public program's funding trouble.

Why just the other day I generously sent $200 out of the kindness of my heart to the government of Bongo Bongo land and all their problems were fixed.
How many teacher raises could be funded if progressives didn't pour millions of dollars into Soros-funded front groups?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,418,131 times
Quote:
That pesky right to choose who you work for and not have money taken out of your paycheck to fund lavish lifestyles for union bosses or support politicians you don't like.

This statement is false. You still have to pass a NICS check for all firearms except for certain private sales, same as nearly every other state.

Several states have laws similar to this and haven't had a problem.

Well an average graduation rate of 85% is nothing to be proud of, but I'm sure you will open your pocketbook to make up the funding difference right?
Congrats, you are the perfect example of the kind of education you get in NC.

BTW you are wrong about the background checks. I had to wait about a month after applying for a purchase permit. The new law does away with the waiting period.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,206,604 times
Quote:
Because I would have more respect for someone if they "walked the walk". Take more money out of your own pocket before allowing the government to take it from mine. There is not an endless supply of taxpayer money available. If you feel the government is a benevolent master that can do no wrong, you should be willing to support it during financial shortfalls. Some of us would like to keep more of the money we work for.

How many teacher raises could be funded if progressives didn't pour millions of dollars into Soros-funded front groups?
Respect? That sounds like something high school kids fight about.

I am in a much better than average financial position and I would dutifully pay a reasonable increase in taxes to benefit my community, city, state and nation. I contribute a fair amount of money, each year to the school my child attends to help buy things for ALL the kids in the class. I also contribute additional money to help fund assistant teachers in the lower grades (the only grades that get assistants at our school).

At tax time, I cut a check for my balance. It isn't pleasant, but one visit to a third world country reminds me of our opulence and wealth and makes it easier.

I don't consider government a "master", or at least I didn't before the tea publicans took office. I feel like there is more governed intrusion on my values than ever before now though. And that's a crappy feeling.

There is little doubt in my mind that Americans are less civic-minded than ever before in our history. Incidentally, we seem far removed from America's golden age. FWIW, during the US's golden age tax rates were significantly higher I believe.

As for your last question... I too can play your game. How many teacher salaries could be funded with ALEC dollars? Or military dollars? Or campaign finance dollars? Do you know? Do you care?

I can appreciate that someone is frugal with their money. But at a certain point I just didn't sleep so well thinking about starving kids while tightly clinching every nickel in my pocket. Money isn't the most important thing in my life. And I'm thankful for that.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Congrats, you are the perfect example of the kind of education you get in NC.

BTW you are wrong about the background checks. I had to wait about a month after applying for a purchase permit. The new law does away with the waiting period.
Personal insult aside, there was never a waiting period for a purchase permit. The Sheriff had to approve/deny it within 30 days and many of them took their time. Now they have to do it in 14 days:

(f) Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 30 14 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant.

A background check takes a day at most since they are only running fingerprints and your SSN looking for criminal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
As for your last question... I too can play your game. How many teacher salaries could be funded with ALEC dollars? Or military dollars? Or campaign finance dollars? Do you know? Do you care?
ALEC isn't going around stating that government has all the answers, and we need to spend the state into insolvency, or we need to take money from one group of people to make it "fair" for others. If they were I would give them the same criticism. If all of those types of groups disbanded and donated their funds to charitable causes it would make a world of difference (pipe dream, I know). I would love the help those in need but I am not in a financial position to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina