Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,205,090 times

Advertisements

What a travesty. I guess no republican lawmakers have children in public school. We've relegated our teachers to pay rates below McDonalds managers.

Our starting pay range is well below every neighboring state. Say goodbye to the quality teachers, why would they stay?

I'm ready to take to the streets.

Teachers say NC lawmakers are forsaking education | State Politics | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,167,482 times
This legislature is awfully good at moving backwards.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM

875 posts, read 1,163,725 times
Quote:
Senate leader Phil Berger, an Eden Republican, said legislators support public education and respect teachers. Raises weren’t possible, Berger said, because the legislature had to commit an additional $1.5 billion over two years to pay for Medicaid.

The budget includes $10.2 million to begin giving raises based on teacher effectiveness next year.
So if they had decided to cut Medicaid to pay for increased teacher salaries you would have screamed about how they hate the poor. Raises are coming next year so what is the problem?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So if they had decided to cut Medicaid to pay for increased teacher salaries you would have screamed about how they hate the poor. Raises are coming next year so what is the problem?

I'm not screaming. Yet.

You think NCs education dollars are suitable?!?!?

"What is the problem"??

Clearly you should read up a little more on the issue. Your data is narrow and shallow. Make it wide and deep, then clock in for a comment.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM

628 posts, read 2,080,020 times
Here's the pay scale for NC. For some of the rural areas the pay scale is probably adequate however, I do question the larger districts CMS, etc. Do they get payed more than this scale?

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...3schedules.pdf

It is pretty low. I am surpised that is all they get paid.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM

334 posts, read 868,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
What a travesty. I guess no republican lawmakers have children in public school. We've relegated our teachers to pay rates below McDonalds managers.

Our starting pay range is well below every neighboring state. Say goodbye to the quality teachers, why would they stay?

I'm ready to take to the streets.

Teachers say NC lawmakers are forsaking education | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Have you mailed them a personal check to increase your contribution? If not why not?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM

875 posts, read 1,163,725 times
Quote:
I'm not screaming. Yet.

You think NCs education dollars are suitable?!?!?

"What is the problem"??

Clearly you should read up a little more on the issue. Your data is narrow and shallow. Make it wide and deep, then clock in for a comment.
My point was the GA can't win either way. If they had increased teacher salaries by cutting Medicaid you would have complained as well. So now that raises are finally built into the budget you still complain. What tax rate are you willing to pay to meet all of NCs financial needs?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Have you mailed them a personal check to increase your contribution? If not why not?
Yes I have. Have you, since you seem so interested?

Do you have an actual point, or did you just graduate from a public school in NC?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM

334 posts, read 868,256 times
Quote:
Yes I have. Have you, since you seem so interested?

Do you have an actual point, or did you just graduate from a public school in NC?

I don't believe you.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
My point was the GA can't win either way. If they had increased teacher salaries by cutting Medicaid you would have complained as well. So now that raises are finally built into the budget you still complain. What tax rate are you willing to pay to meet all of NCs financial needs?
You have no idea what I would say.

Your answer is basically "two wrongs make a right", lol.

I'm willing to pay a lot more. At this point anything under 18k a year is cheaper than private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina