Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times

Advertisements

These bills have passed are are heading to the Governor. While Abortion is the biggest issue addressed, I found the jail RX Co-Pay interesting. I have not read any of these but my concern with the copay is that it sounds kind of high at $10 except for brand name drugs. I assume if the actual cost is lower than $10 they won't have to pay it. Although, of the V.A. it's always the same amount regardless of cost. I assume if the prisoner is indigent the state will pay.

The drug testing is for Work First recipients but not all of them. Most of the wordiness in the title of the bill is for direction of social services to do background checks to make sure the recipient is not a fleeing felon. I didn't realize that was a huge problem.

I know must of the talk will be about abortion and that links may have already been provided. But I thought I'd highlight these and provide links in case buried in another thread.

Oh. And motorcycles.

SB 353
AN ACT TO MODIFY CERTAIN LAWS PERTAINING TO ABORTION, TO LIMIT ABORTION COVERAGE UNDER HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS OFFERED UNDER A HEALTH BENEFIT EXCHANGE OPERATING IN NORTH CAROLINA OR OFFERED BY A COUNTY OR MUNICIPALITY, TO PROHIBIT A PERSON FROM PERFORMING OR ATTEMPTING TO PERFORM AN ABORTION WHEN THE SEX OF THE UNBORN CHILD IS A SIGNIFICANT FACTOR IN SEEKING THE ABORTION, TO DIRECT THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES TO AMEND RULES AND CONDUCT A STUDY PERTAINING TO CLINICS CERTIFIED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES TO BE SUITABLE FACILITIES FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF ABORTIONS, TO AMEND THE WOMEN'S RIGHT TO KNOW ACT, AND TO INCREASE PENALTIES FOR UNSAFE MOVEMENTS BY DRIVERS THAT THREATEN THE PROPERTY AND SAFETY OF MOTORCYCLISTS.

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 353 Information/History (2013-2014 Session)

SB 368
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR A TEN‑DOLLAR CO‑PAY FOR PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION DISPENSED IN A COUNTY JAIL, TO PROVIDE THE PISTOL PERMIT FEE TO BE AN APPLICATION FEE, AND TO MAKE IT A FELONY TO ESCAPE FROM A COUNTY FACILITY WHEN CHARGED WITH AND BEING HELD FOR A FELONY.

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 368 Information/History (2013-2014 Session)

HB 392
AN ACT REQUIRING A COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES (DSS) TO VERIFY WHETHER AN APPLICANT FOR OR RECIPIENT OF TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES (TANF) BENEFITS OR FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICES (FNS) BENEFITS IS A FLEEING FELON OR A PROBATION OR PAROLE VIOLATOR, TO DIRECT INTERAGENCY COOPERATION AND INFORMATION SHARING IN ORDER TO VERIFY THE ELIGIBILITY STATUS OF AN APPLICANT OR RECIPIENT, TO DENY TANF OR FNS BENEFITS TO AN APPLICANT OR RECIPIENT WHO IS A FLEEING FELON OR A PROBATION OR PAROLE VIOLATOR, AND TO REQUIRE DRUG SCREENING AND TESTING FOR CERTAIN APPLICANTS AND RECIPIENTS OF WORK FIRST PROGRAM ASSISTANCE.

TANF= foodstamps. Work First = "welfare" cash assistance.

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 392 Information/History (2013-2014 Session)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Interesting that none of this legislation contains the word "jobs".

Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,971,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
That's because they don't care about "Jobs", they would much rather kick people off of unemployment even though there are no jobs out there for them to go to instead of doing anything to help put people back to work! Divisive social issues are more important to the GOP instead of rather or not people are able to find a job without any unemployment or any kind of safety net to fall back on while they are looking for work!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Or anything about the dearth of good sex ed and needed contraception that would limit the
number of jobs needed in 2031 and forward (that they won't do anything about either).

They just keep digging the hole deeper.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Tweet from McCrory:

"Pleased that DHHS & Sec. Wos will have ability to revise rules that will better protect health & safety of women and make clinics safer"

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,971,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Tweet from McCrory:

"Pleased that DHHS & Sec. Wos will have ability to revise rules that will better protect health & safety of women and make clinics safer"
Sure they will!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Sure they will!
Are you against making clinics safer? Or is this all about choice including saw dust on the floor and no electricity?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM

128 posts, read 151,271 times
Great my husband and I have to be drug tested for our jobs-- taxpayers. So should the feckless.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Are you against making clinics safer? Or is this all about choice including saw dust on the floor and no electricity?
Want the clinics to be safer?
Fund them.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:

I haven't heard or seen any news reports about problems due to unsafe abortion clinics--have you? Seems this is, like the voter ID bill, just another attempt to "fix" something that's not broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina