Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM

606 posts, read 904,628 times

Advertisements

If it were a bill just about photo ID, that would be one thing, someone explain to me why that wasn't enough for them?

Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, who currently can register to vote before they turn 18. (why? Can't vote if not 18 anyway. Your ID requirement would prove that)

Outlaw paid voter registration drives. (why? need an ID now so why would this prevent fraud?)

Eliminate straight-ticket voting. (Why? What does that have to do with fraud?)

Eliminate provisional voting if someone shows up at the wrong precinct. (Why? Do they have a valid ID? What purpose does that serve?)

Prohibit counties from extending poll hours by one hour on Election Day in extraordinary circumstances, such as in response to long lines. Those in line at closing time would still be allowed to vote. (How does this prevent fraud?)

Allow any registered voter of a county to challenge the eligibility of a voter rather than just a voter of the precinct in which the suspect voter is registered. (They came with a valid ID to vote? Why should anyone get to challenge that right?)

Move the presidential primary to first Tuesday after South Carolina's primary if that state holds its primary before March 15. That would mean North Carolina would have two primaries during presidential elections. (How does this prevent fraud and save the state money?)

Study electronic filing for campaign returns.(whatever)

Increase the maximum allowed campaign contribution per election from $4,000 to $5,000. The cap will be adjusted for inflation every two years, starting in 2015. (How does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Loosen disclosure requirements in campaign ads paid for by independent committees. (how does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Repeal the publicly funded election program for appellate court judges.(how does this prevent fraud on the part of voters? Yay that our judges can be bought now too!)

Repeal the requirement that candidates endorse ads run by their campaigns.(How does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Be for voter ID if you like. I can understand that (not saying I agree with it) but if an ID gets rid of fraud, what is the point in the rest of it?? HOW can anyone be for making it harder for everyone to vote and for giving candidates less restrictions allowing them to commit more potential fraud in the election process? Seriously. Someone that is ALL for this bill, help me to understand why all these things are good.

Last edited by butterflies1375; 07-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,704,613 times
I wish it were national. It was uncovered and proven that people voted in the NE US and then came to south FL to vote again. It's not hard to get ID. Plenty of time ahead of elections to get it. I have mine in hand when I walk in the door to the polls. I don't hold up the line.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
If it were a bill just about photo ID, that would be one thing, someone explain to me why that wasn't enough for them?

Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, who currently can register to vote before they turn 18. (why? Can't vote if not 18 anyway. Your ID requirement would prove that)

Outlaw paid voter registration drives. (why? need an ID now so why would this prevent fraud?)

Eliminate straight-ticket voting. (Why? What does that have to do with fraud?)

Eliminate provisional voting if someone shows up at the wrong precinct. (Why? Do they have a valid ID? What purpose does that serve?)

Prohibit counties from extending poll hours by one hour on Election Day in extraordinary circumstances, such as in response to long lines. Those in line at closing time would still be allowed to vote. (How does this prevent fraud?)

Allow any registered voter of a county to challenge the eligibility of a voter rather than just a voter of the precinct in which the suspect voter is registered. (They came with a valid ID to vote? Why should anyone get to challenge that right?)

Move the presidential primary to first Tuesday after South Carolina's primary if that state holds its primary before March 15. That would mean North Carolina would have two primaries during presidential elections. (How does this prevent fraud and save the state money?)

Study electronic filing for campaign returns.(whatever)

Increase the maximum allowed campaign contribution per election from $4,000 to $5,000. The cap will be adjusted for inflation every two years, starting in 2015. (How does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Loosen disclosure requirements in campaign ads paid for by independent committees. (how does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Repeal the publicly funded election program for appellate court judges.(how does this prevent fraud on the part of voters? Yay that our judges can be bought now too!)

Repeal the requirement that candidates endorse ads run by their campaigns.(How does this prevent fraud on the part of voters?)

Be for voter ID if you like. I can understand that (not saying I agree with it) but if an ID gets rid of fraud, what is the point in the rest of it?? HOW can anyone be for making it harder for everyone to vote and for giving candidates less restrictions allowing them to commit more potential fraud in the election process? Seriously. Someone that is ALL for this bill, help me to understand why all these things are good.
Agreed.

But, why not assign everyone a voter ID number, and set up the system so that once you've used it to vote, that's the only vote you get in that election?

We already have free voter registration cards.

What good will photo ID do if someone decides to vote twice? They don't make copies of the ID at the polls.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,772,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
"Silencing the poor and elderly?" How?

How is it harder for hourly/working class to vote?
What gets me is the associations for such and such that are so busy banging the drum over this should be busy making sure this doesn't effect those they say it will.

If California can pay the NAACP to sign people up for Obamacare, why can't the NAACP give these folks a ride to the DMV if they need an ID? Or rather have neighbors helping neighbors as needed.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What gets me is the associations for such and such that are so busy banging the drum over this should be busy making sure this doesn't effect those they say it will.

If California can pay the NAACP to sign people up for Obamacare, why can't the NAACP give these folks a ride to the DMV if they need an ID? Or rather have neighbors helping neighbors as needed.
Makes sense to me.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hey Mike, what will you think when you're the one who happens to lose your wallet on the morning of election day?
I have a Passport!
Besides that, there are a hundred excuses for the Democrats, that's #1.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's about time for what? Voter suppression? Discouraging college students from the political process? Silencing the poor and elderly? Making it harder for hourly/working class citizens to vote?
Hope & Change!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Hope and change that the vote is accurate by those who are willing to abide by the laws of the land and are legally here.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,166,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I wish it were national. It was uncovered and proven that people voted in the NE US and then came to south FL to vote again. It's not hard to get ID. Plenty of time ahead of elections to get it. I have mine in hand when I walk in the door to the polls. I don't hold up the line.
The NC DMV charges $10 for an ID card. That's a lot of money for some people, and IMO a strong basis for invalidating this law. Unless the cards are made available at no charge, this can be considered a poll tax.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The NC DMV charges $10 for an ID card. That's a lot of money for some people, and IMO a strong basis for invalidating this law. Unless the cards are made available at no charge, this can be considered a poll tax.
It shouldn't be. From seeing people having the money to travel and protest I don't see a valid argument for it being to costly. How many spend that much a week on beer and cigs but can't buy the ID like the rest of us. My driver's license cost a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina