Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,592 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rosalie Windsor;162868]I really want to move to the Raleigh metro area something close to the bus line. I will be entering my 5th decade in life. How is the job market if you don't have a degree. Being 50 the job market can be tough. Any good companies that appreciate the older worker. Input please[/QHello= I am in the same age bracket, and relocating to the area, did you have any luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM

59 posts, read 226,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-gal View Post
Lenoir is awful.
why is lenoir bad? - just wondering... we were thinking of relocating to lenoir, hickory, or taylorsville. Saw a few houses in Lenoir and areas around it and my husband is ready to go buy one next week. I would prefer asheville, but 2 of us need to find jobs (sales, carpentry). I am willing to go anywhere and move to the mountains when the kids are a bit older - anyone recommend anyplace with work and schools with nice kids (I prefer nice over the top academic school, but both is even better) Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,215 times
Default Wilkesboro, NC - A great relocation town!

Good afternoon. My family and I moved to Wilkes County from the SFL area (Miami to be exact). To put in simply... we could not have picked a better place. We found it by accident, and now are as happy as happy can be. Great schools, no traffic, respectful and corteous folks. In bettwen the vacation ski towns of Boone & Blowing Rock and down the street from Winston-Salem. I can go on and on....

Last edited by mm34b; 10-01-2007 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service - Realty

Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM

37 posts, read 161,716 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tml#post340110

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 30,334 times
hi!

my wife and i are from NYC and we're planning to relocate to NC next year. my wife is a healthcare worker and i am in the business field. there are several issues that we really need to consider before we finalize our relocation in NC which we both love even though we haven't seen or been to the place yet, just rellying and believing too much to all the wonderful remarks and adjectives from our friends we feel that this is the most suitable place for us. we are done w/ the hustle and bustle of life and i for once is not a fan of a very heavy industrialize/urbanize area like NY.

hope you could help us out w/ some of these infos we need:
1) my wife wants to know if there are lots of Nursing Homes / SNF / or hospitals in Charlotte area.
(or is it better in Raleigh / Durham or Charlotte in terms of Healthcare workers demand)
2) are there lots of job opening in business industry or any industry in that matter for someone like me who's into administration and marketing?
3) WEATHER wise, what is the worst storm that hit NC? is there a possibility that major hurricanes like gustav, katrina etc. could hit NC? or was there a history that NC was devastated by such?
4) we would like to stay in a place where Christian values are very strongly recognized and implemented.

hope you could help us out with these series of queries?

thanks so much!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franyun View Post
hi!

my wife and i are from NYC and we're planning to relocate to NC next year. my wife is a healthcare worker and i am in the business field. there are several issues that we really need to consider before we finalize our relocation in NC which we both love even though we haven't seen or been to the place yet, just rellying and believing too much to all the wonderful remarks and adjectives from our friends we feel that this is the most suitable place for us. we are done w/ the hustle and bustle of life and i for once is not a fan of a very heavy industrialize/urbanize area like NY.

hope you could help us out w/ some of these infos we need:
1) my wife wants to know if there are lots of Nursing Homes / SNF / or hospitals in Charlotte area.
(or is it better in Raleigh / Durham or Charlotte in terms of Healthcare workers demand)
2) are there lots of job opening in business industry or any industry in that matter for someone like me who's into administration and marketing?
3) WEATHER wise, what is the worst storm that hit NC? is there a possibility that major hurricanes like gustav, katrina etc. could hit NC? or was there a history that NC was devastated by such?
4) we would like to stay in a place where Christian values are very strongly recognized and implemented.

hope you could help us out with these series of queries?

thanks so much!
hi franyun I would like to suggest you copy your post and then start your own new thread in the Charlotte forum so that it will be seen by more people. This thread you have posted on is very old and not very likely to get you the answers you seek. I'll look for you there!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
My husband and I are relocating to N.C. and are interested in western n.c. can anyone give any advice about some towns on the western side of the state? I work with disabled persons currently so I am looking for a job in that area of employment.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,145 times
This is great information. I too am planning on relocating to the Triangle area with my Mother and Sisters. We are all very excited but overwhelmed with not knowing where to look to find the best schools and location for my sisters and my son who are all teenages. My family adopted my sisters into our family when they were just todlers! What a blessing! Anyway, your information is greatly appreciated. Again, thank you and please feel free to post or forward more info.

Be blessed!

-Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojudge View Post
Katie,
I live in Chapel Hill, NC, but I lived most of my life in western North Carolina. I work primarily in Raleigh and Durham (adjoining cities). Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill comprise an area called the "Triangle." I am very familiar with all of the places you mentioned, but most familiar with Lenoir, Taylorsville, Gastonia, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and Apex. I used to live within 20 miles of Lenoir and Taylorsville. Both are small towns in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. Lenior is heavily industrialized, primarily with furniture manufacture. Nice places, but, in truth, neither has grown much in many years, and the furniture industry has been experiencing some real economic challenges. I also did a lot of work in Gastonia, a larger town and within 20 minutes of Charlotte, our largest city. Many people working in Charlotte live in Gastonia because it is far enough away from a large and growing urban area to feel like you live in a manageable small town. My guess is that it is larger than Casper.
Chapel Hill is adjacent to Raleigh and Apex (Raleigh and Apex are in the same county). As the State capital, it is growing significantly, but still very manageable. Other than government, it is best known for the Research Triangle Park (RTP to us locals), where is it one of the primary computer technology centers in the country. Hotbed of national computer technology. Relatively flat terrain, and within three hours of the North Carolina coast. Apex is rapidly growing bedroom community of Raleigh, with lots of new residential development. Apex itself has a very small "downtown" area, but my guess is that most residents work and shop in the larger surrounding Raleigh area. Both are very nice places.
Jacksonville, of course, is primarily known for Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base. It is located in coastal North Carolina. Other than Lejeune, heavy retirement area for former Marine Corps and Naval personnel. Within short distance of the North Carolina coast, and strong retirement influence throughout the region.
Asheboro is in central North Carolina. Best known for the North Carolina Zoo. Relatively small with good quality of life. In fact, all of the communities you mention offer a high quality of life.
Our weather is very mild in the winter (67 degrees at 5:00 PM todat), with occasional snowfall. A few inches of snow can immobilize our State. Schools close, people make runs on grocery stores, etc. You would think the world was coming to an end. Summers are normally hot and very (and I emphasize the word "very") humid. Fall and spring are magnificent, with colors beyond description. We claim that our winters last 2-3 weeks whether we need it or not, with long fall and springtimes.
As to remoteness vs. big city, Raleigh is the only large metropolitan area you mention, but, coming from Hickory, Raleigh is very manageable. Busy, but not overwhelming. Raleigh is three hours from the coast, and I can be in Washington, DC within four hours. Charlotte is two hours away. I consider Apex to be a suburb of Raleigh. Gastonia and Jacksonville are medium size cities, and my guess is that Gastonia, because of its proximity to Charlotte has more business opportunity. Gastonia is 20 minutes from Charlotte, 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta, 1 1/2 hour from Greenville, SC, and 3 hours from Charleston, SC (one of God's great gifts). In truth, though I love Lenoir and Taylorsville (and have family in both), they are fairly stagnant economically, and school systems leave something to be desired if you have children. Both have smaller po****tions, and residents travel to Hickory, Asheville, Boone/Blowing Rock or Charlotte for entertainment. Fast food restaurants and barbecue places would be the normal eating places.
North Carolina is a great State, and, though biased by birth and family here, I wouldn't consider living many other places. It offers a slower lifestyle, conservative culture, and a strong southern Bible belt heritage.
By the way, with Camp Lejeune, Fort Bragg, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, and Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station, like most southern states, it has a very strong military heritage.
Hope this helps. I came across your message because I'm considering running a marathon in Casper in June, and I was looking for information about the place to see if it's a race I want to run. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 11,825 times
Asheville Hendersonville Area is the most beautiful, great schools, mountains. Ecclectic. I love it here! Check out our area too. Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville & Flat Rock, NC | Henderson County Travel & Tourism | Welcome Center Good Luck,
Kitcatrn

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,464 times
Hello!

I will be relocating from Phoenix to Raleigh with my teenage son. What are the best high schools, preferrably something that is christian based. Also, coming from Arizona it took me two years to find someone to press my hair...does anyone know of a good salon that is into healthy hair care?

Dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina