Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:42 PM

27 posts, read 123,558 times

Advertisements

Like so many others, I'm looking to move to your great state. I have lived in Oregon for 18 years (raising sons). I love the country-feel, but have always disliked the weeks and weeks of winter gray skies and the non-ending rain.

I've been researching where I wanted to relocate for 2-3 years now. And, NC is the only state that offers everything I love about Oregon -- with the wonderful bonus of blue skies to be enjoyed! That alone is enough to make a girl jump the watery-ship here. Then, I discovered these boards two days ago and spent several hours reading them. If most NC's are as warm and welcoming as you folk here, that only increases the life-style value of your state.

Up to now, I have researched the cities via the internet, craigslist, reading NC newpapers,and in talking with friends who have any firsthand knowledge of NC, etc. I hoping to spent a couple of weeks in NC soon. I would be renting a car and want to scout out as much of the state as I can. The Peidmont region seems to appeals to me. Also, I'd like to start my vistor's tour in the Winston/Salem area. I was hoping you all might have some good suggestions on what to do and where to go to get a good flavoring of NC. I love to drive, and I don't mind changing hotels and locations. So lead away, please. Thank you, Mari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Glad you were so impressed. I love it here myself (I live in the Charlotte area). It might be a good idea to start in Raleigh, due to Winston Salem being in the middle of the state (will require a lot of backtracking). The Raleigh area is very nice and has a very strong economy. Good universities. Family oriented. Then you could head to WS. About 40 miles NW of there is the town of Mt. Airy. It's the hometown of Andy Griffith and the model for Mayberry. Many of the businesses there have been around years before the show ever aired (Walley's Service Station, Bluebird Dinner, Floyd's Barber Shop, ect). It's one of the most cute, clean little towns you'll see anywhere and they play the Mayberry thing to the hilt. There's a lot to see and do there. Then head to Charlotte. LOTS to see and do (go to the Charlotte forum and look for the thread, "Things to do While Visiting....."). Like Raleigh, a very strong economy and really family oriented. Then head west to Asheville. It's one of, if not the best, small metro areas in the nation. Very beautiful area. Lots to see and do. The largest private home in the nation, Biltmore Estate, is there to tour and is worth seeing. Also look accross the street from the estate enterance. There's a McDonald's that's a replica of the esatate and is very fancy (marble and wood floors, fireplace, piano music). Lots of fun!!! These are just a small portion of what's here. Come on down, we'd love to have you! have any questions, just ask!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 PM

122 posts, read 482,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Glad you were so impressed. I love it here myself (I live in the Charlotte area). It might be a good idea to start in Raleigh, due to Winston Salem being in the middle of the state (will require a lot of backtracking). The Raleigh area is very nice and has a very strong economy. Good universities. Family oriented. Then you could head to WS. About 40 miles NW of there is the town of Mt. Airy. It's the hometown of Andy Griffith and the model for Mayberry. Many of the businesses there have been around years before the show ever aired (Walley's Service Station, Bluebird Dinner, Floyd's Barber Shop, ect). It's one of the most cute, clean little towns you'll see anywhere and they play the Mayberry thing to the hilt. There's a lot to see and do there. Then head to Charlotte. LOTS to see and do (go to the Charlotte forum and look for the thread, "Things to do While Visiting....."). Like Raleigh, a very strong economy and really family oriented. Then head west to Asheville. It's one of, if not the best, small metro areas in the nation. Very beautiful area. Lots to see and do. The largest private home in the nation, Biltmore Estate, is there to tour and is worth seeing. Also look accross the street from the estate enterance. There's a McDonald's that's a replica of the esatate and is very fancy (marble and wood floors, fireplace, piano music). Lots of fun!!! These are just a small portion of what's here. Come on down, we'd love to have you! have any questions, just ask!!!
Yes, you can make a big circle and see all the majors cities along with the mountains and the coast: Raleigh/Durham > Greensboro > Winston-Salem > Asheville > Charlotte > Wilmington > back to Raleigh/Durham.

Did you know that more people vacation within their own state of North Carolina than any other state? Your biggest decision when moving here is whether you enjoy the mountains or the ocean more. For me, it's a toss-up, which is why I live in the middle of the state in Raleigh (although, it's a little closer to the coast).

Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Well, friendnc, see what I mean ... just the nicest responses from people. THANK YOU! I like your suggestions & will follow them. Small world as just yesterday another member of this board also told me about Asheville. I immediately checked it out online & have already sent away for the Biltmore Estate booklet. However, they didn't reference McD's; which sounds adorable & is SO much more within my budget! Also, since I had a crush on Andy Griffith as a kid, I can't wait to see Mt. Airy. Do you think the people there will want to know that I slightly knew Ronnie Howard as a teen-ager? ~Mari

Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Hi, rueager9 ... Love the coast to visit, but I'm a mountain person through & through. A lot of people -- even here in Oregon -- have mentioned Raleigh to me. Isn't it NC's capital? Is it a very big city? I'm looking for a lot of green, and would like to get away from concrete & heavy traffic.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwithani View Post
Hi, rueager9 ... Love the coast to visit, but I'm a mountain person through & through. A lot of people -- even here in Oregon -- have mentioned Raleigh to me. Isn't it NC's capital? Is it a very big city? I'm looking for a lot of green, and would like to get away from concrete & heavy traffic.

Raleigh is the state capital but it has only half the population of Charlotte. (Which is why Charlotte has the NFL and NBA). I don't personally find Raleigh to be overly attractive in its downtown, unlike Charlotte which has a really nice skyline. But there are many surrounding areas where I'm sure you'd find that green you are looking for. Chapel Hill is my favorite, just such quaint and neat old college town - but VERY expensive from what I understant. Worth seeing for sure to visit the campus of the University of NC.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Raleigh is the state capital but it has only half the population of Charlotte. (Which is why Charlotte has the NFL and NBA). I don't personally find Raleigh to be overly attractive in its downtown, unlike Charlotte which has a really nice skyline. But there are many surrounding areas where I'm sure you'd find that green you are looking for. Chapel Hill is my favorite, just such quaint and neat old college town - but VERY expensive from what I understant. Worth seeing for sure to visit the campus of the University of NC.
Both areas have their good points & bad. Charlotte has more people, but also more crime (within the city limits). But most newcomers settle into suburbia in both regions. Both areas are green and have some rolling hills. Charlotte has a nice skyline and more of a true downtown feel than Raleigh has, however, there is only 1 major university there (UNC-Charlotte). Where Raleigh has 3: UNC-Chapel Hill, N.C. State, Duke University. If you want a job in the financial/banking sector, look to Charlotte. If you want a job in healthcare (especially university-sponsored healthcare), look to Raleigh. Both cities are nice and have their own uniqueness to them. (Is "uniqueness" a word??)

Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
Both areas have their good points & bad. Charlotte has more people, but also more crime (within the city limits). But most newcomers settle into suburbia in both regions. Both areas are green and have some rolling hills. Charlotte has a nice skyline and more of a true downtown feel than Raleigh has, however, there is only 1 major university there (UNC-Charlotte). Where Raleigh has 3: UNC-Chapel Hill, N.C. State, Duke University. If you want a job in the financial/banking sector, look to Charlotte. If you want a job in healthcare (especially university-sponsored healthcare), look to Raleigh. Both cities are nice and have their own uniqueness to them. (Is "uniqueness" a word??)
OH, I almost forgot. Yes, Chapel Hill is pricey. Most people who move to that area (which is about 20 minutes SW of Raleigh), choose to live in Carrboro. The same main street runs through both cities, and unless you live there, you cannot tell when Chapel Hill ends and Carrboro begins. (Except that property seems to be cheaper in Carrboro.) If you are a former hippy/flower child from the '60s, you will love Carrboro.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Most certainly a former flower child :-D. And, now that I'm done raising kids, finding myself leaning more & more into that former relaxed mode. Infact, one of my rekindled dreams, is to own a GoldWing trike. I almost bought one for my last birthday, but decided not to as it wouldn't be rode most of the year here in Oregon. (The rain issue again!)

Thanks for the info on the health vs financial areas. I'm not part of the health industry at all. It would be most any type of office work that I'd be looking for. NC unemployment rate looks decent so, I was hoping to be able to field enough work through a temp agency until I got settled into the right area. Do you have any idea if that is a reasonable thought?

Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwithani View Post
Most certainly a former flower child :-D. And, now that I'm done raising kids, finding myself leaning more & more into that former relaxed mode. Infact, one of my rekindled dreams, is to own a GoldWing trike. I almost bought one for my last birthday, but decided not to as it wouldn't be rode most of the year here in Oregon. (The rain issue again!)

Thanks for the info on the health vs financial areas. I'm not part of the health industry at all. It would be most any type of office work that I'd be looking for. NC unemployment rate looks decent so, I was hoping to be able to field enough work through a temp agency until I got settled into the right area. Do you have any idea if that is a reasonable thought?
Oh definitely. I moved to Raleigh (Cary, actually) from Wilmington about 6 months ago, and I swear....I still get weekly agency calls from headhunters in the area, even though I started a new job. There are lots of agencies here with lots of office jobs. That goes for Raleigh & Charlotte both. The GoldWing trike would work well in Chapel Hill/Carborro. It is a very pedestrian-friendly area and has that "back to nature" feeling to it. UNC-Chapel Hill is located right smack in the middle of downtown, with very shady tree-lined streets and lots of little shops & restaurants. It is a very different area compared to the other cities in NC that we have talked about tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina