Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
So, the sales tax for the state is now 7%? I thought it was 4.25% previously with counties adding more. If the general state sales tax is 7%, then Buncombe county may increase?
Did any of these change in the latest legislation?
I think you mis-read something about the July changes. It was only electricity and gas that would be taxed at 7%. The over-all state sales tax is still 4.75%, with county add-ons still bringing it to 7%. http://www.dornc.com/taxes/sales/salesrates_4-13.html

The Buncombe County tax on groceries of 4.25% is pretty high. I think it is 2% in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Also Georgia eliminated taxes on all retirement income starting in 2012.

So, I guess that's three states surrounding NC where retirement income is protected. And man, if there is ever a time in life when taxes will kill you, it's in retirement.
Oops. I got that slightly wrong. GA has a generous deduction that is probably all most people need, but they go to zero tax on retirement income in 2016.

This article on retirement tax havens by Forbes was written in 2010, so it's not super current. Even so, NC is just not a retirement tax haven. That's why so many retirees spend part of their year in FL and part in NC, so they can claim FL as their home for tax purposes.

More States Woo Retirees With Tax Breaks - Forbes

Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Oops. I got that slightly wrong. GA has a generous deduction that is probably all most people need, but they go to zero tax on retirement income in 2016.

This article on retirement tax havens by Forbes was written in 2010, so it's not super current. Even so, NC is just not a retirement tax haven. That's why so many retirees spend part of their year in FL and part in NC, so they can claim FL as their home for tax purposes.

More States Woo Retirees With Tax Breaks - Forbes
GA has the right idea about reducing taxes on retirement income. NC is going to chase retirees away to other states. Based on my calculations, the taxes in NC (adding in sales and income taxes as well as "fees" on registering cars; I'm a renter so I would not directly pay property taxes) would put the annual NC tax total (for me) on par with states like Massachusetts and Oregon, two states not known for low taxes. I'd like to avoid moving to a state that taxes groceries. Even Washington State with its 9.5% sales tax doesn't include groceries or presc meds, unlike NC.

Things are definitely changing in NC, as they are in other states. States are looking for income and changing many of the "tax havens" mentioned in the Forbes article, such as Kentucky, that had excellent tax breaks for retirees and now that's all changed, rather dramatically. Michigan also cut the retiree income tax breaks for people turning 65 starting in 2013. It's tough to do research for retirement in various states when the game is changing continuously.

Last edited by xz2y; 08-09-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Folks, I don't think NC is going after the retiree market. At least those who worry about the tax burden.

and the new tax structure to be reflects that

Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Folks, I don't think NC is going after the retiree market. At least those who worry about the tax burden.

and the new tax structure to be reflects that
I think I agree with you!

It stinks. We run a business and pay for our own health care, which is only projected to rise. Not only do I have to accumulate toward my own retirement, but I also help one of my parents whose retirement nest egg was devastated by the economic meltdown and an incompetent financial planner at Fidelity. It's a lot on my plate.

I was thinking of relocating to NC, but that thought is getting further from my mind everyday. I don't need to move to a state that makes staying ahead financially more difficult. Not only is GA better for retirees, but there is a strong movement in GA to lower income taxes more.

Plus, I was looking around the Asheville area, and that's one of the most expensive places in NC. You can rent an enormous house in the GA mountains for the same money that will get you an apartment in Asheville. I think I'll just visit!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
I think I agree with you!

It stinks. We run a business and pay for our own health care, which is only projected to rise. Not only do I have to accumulate toward my own retirement, but I also help one of my parents whose retirement nest egg was devastated by the economic meltdown and an incompetent financial planner at Fidelity. It's a lot on my plate.

I was thinking of relocating to NC, but that thought is getting further from my mind everyday. I don't need to move to a state that makes staying ahead financially more difficult. Not only is GA better for retirees, but there is a strong movement in GA to lower income taxes more.

Plus, I was looking around the Asheville area, and that's one of the most expensive places in NC. You can rent an enormous house in the GA mountains for the same money that will get you an apartment in Asheville. I think I'll just visit!
probably wise, unless you have a great situation. Depending upon where you are in GA, it is really just on the other side of the mountain from NC. Mox Nix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina