Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,545,693 times

Advertisements

I never really put much deep thought into it til recent various news who owns the river beds and lake beds the state or various power companies?

Who manages, control own upkeep the rivers and lakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,894 times
I know of the Riverkeepers, bur am unsure if they are state workers or a non-profit or something. Probably the latter, now that I think about it, considering NC has park rangers, and most of the rivers and lakes have state parks. I imagine it's the rangers.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM

I know the state wildlife officials police the lakes but who maintains it?
Im asking this because I know for instance on High Rock Lake Alcoa has set up rules on piers?

With the recent flooding alot of debris and trash in the lake and the complaints have been going to Duke Energy to clean it up.

Is the lakes manage by the state or power companies.
If the state owns it then shouldnt they clean and maintain and regulate?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,225,038 times
I believe that Alcoa is manageing the lake levels and following Federal Rules for Rivers under FERC.They can control who can build and what the pier is constructed of using the FERC. guidelines.
The Land under the lake and river is public property (Federal I believe). Lake front property only goes to the High Water mark, thats why homeowners are not able to stop people from walking on the lake bed when the water is down. The State must sign off on any agreement for a new 50 year lease for Alcoa to manage the dams and waterways.
State has a lawsuit to allow other bidders for manageing the lake and river.
Alcoa should be keeping debris out of main channel so boats can still use river.
In past years Rowan has had lake front vol. clean up during fall.

Last edited by Boss; 08-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: info

Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
Depends. Typically water supply lakes are managed and controlled by the army corps of engineers. They may develop certain agreements with utilities and local governments that use the lake as well. Volumes of the lake are allocated for different uses. Even then, water quality standards are enforced by the state(use to be DWQ but now DWR).

Surface waters (lakes, rivers, etc) are considered "waters of the state" and are subject to various water quality and riparian buffer regulations the state enforces in order to comply with the federally mandated clean water act. Most of these regulations are enforced by DWR but in some cases (like buffers) a local government may ask for and be delegated authority to implement the requirements.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I believe that Alcoa is manageing the lake levels and following Federal Rules for Rivers under FERC.They can control who can build and what the pier is constructed of using the FERC. guidelines.
The Land under the lake and river is public property (Federal I believe). Lake front property only goes to the High Water mark, thats why homeowners are not able to stop people from walking on the lake bed when the water is down. The State must sign off on any agreement for a new 50 year lease for Alcoa to manage the dams and waterways.
State has a lawsuit to allow other bidders for manageing the lake and river.
Alcoa should be keeping debris out of main channel so boats can still use river.
In past years Rowan has had lake front vol. clean up during fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Depends. Typically water supply lakes are managed and controlled by the army corps of engineers. They may develop certain agreements with utilities and local governments that use the lake as well. Volumes of the lake are allocated for different uses. Even then, water quality standards are enforced by the state(use to be DWQ but now DWR).

Surface waters (lakes, rivers, etc) are considered "waters of the state" and are subject to various water quality and riparian buffer regulations the state enforces in order to comply with the federally mandated clean water act. Most of these regulations are enforced by DWR but in some cases (like buffers) a local government may ask for and be delegated authority to implement the requirements.

Thanks Boss and NRG.
It always been in back of my head but never thought to much into and accepted what is way it is.
This lawsuit the state impose on Alcoa had McCrory state its the peoples water so it had me curious about Alcoa and Duke part.
Since Alcoa doesnt produce power anymore if they are not relicense I am hoping the state would control High Rock and release the ban on piers.
IMO its holding High Rock back from urban growth besides it insane lake front property.

I applause who ever put pebbles on shores of this island that I kayak to, maybe it was army corp to prevent erosion of the island into the lake but from I no longer enter in deep mud.

This week I watching online resident of Lake Wylie complaining about debris and trash wondering if Duke was going to clean it up (I know different state) High Rock and I am sure other lakes in this state have had same issue. I was curious why did it become there problem and what happens if they dont or was it the state responsibility.

I know high rock has RiverKeepers and Boss I to would consider volunteering just need a tetanus shot.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,840 times
Duke Lake Managemt "owns" the three lakes of Mecklenburg. they manage them under regulations set forth by the Clean Water Act, which is enforced by various agencies.

As for rivers... Well many times they are "owned" by adjacent landowners. As NRG stated however, they are considered "waters of the state" and all citizens should have legal right to travel in the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: