Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
( northern VA -- which is very *not* southern

Many in southern VA instead use the terms pretentious; phony; "yankee wannabes" etc to describe *some* of the northern Virginians (some are just as southern than those in southern Virginia). ;o
That's interesting, Fern. I've never really spent much time in southern VA. The only time I encountered something kind of similar to what you're referring to was in Richmond, where there is sort of a social set of women ( for lack of a better term) who based their sense of self-worth (and thereby the automatic lack of worth of others) on their family names and long family history in the area. I brushed it off. Plenty of nice folks there who didn't. Plus I can't imagine that Richmond is the only place in the nation where that occurs. Richmond is not my cup of tea as a place to live for other reasons, but the social set kinda stuff doesn't get under my skin. I ignore it.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-17-2006 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2006, 08:32 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I think people want to know what Check's reason is for posting on this forum, rather than question his right to do so. Most posters live here in NC, are former residents, or are considering a move to or from NC.
Check claims to be a lifelong NY resident with no intention of moving so the question becomes, why is he posting?
If I had to guess, it would be because he is defending NY, on this, the most active part of the site.
Am I correct, Check?
Maybe Check wants to know why people leave his state or why people come back. The best place to do that is in both forums.

I don't live in NC and I ruled it out after a weeklong visit to Asheville and vicinity this year and research but I'm reading the forums in all of the southeastern states (and my current mid-atlantic and former northeast state) because I want to know why everyone is moving around so much and the problems they create for the new location when they make poorly informed decisions. I like to jump in when the discussion is good.

Where I live now is a nice place to live. Where I lived before this was a nice place to live. It's just those places were good places to live in that stage of my life. They're just not right for me now in this stage of my life. I know what I want and I hope I have found it but I'm not coming with baggage from the old place. I'm not trying to escape anything. I like the new place for what it is now, not what it could be. Therefore, I don't want people moving there who will want to come in and change the place to make it more like the places they left. I especially don't want them coming there in huge voting clumps (master planned communities that do their PR work in certain states) which does have the potential to change the make-up of the town.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:40 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...I want to know why everyone is moving around so much and the problems they create for the new location when they make poorly informed decisions. I like to jump in when the discussion is good.

Where I live now is a nice place to live. Where I lived before this was a nice place to live. It's just those places were good places to live in that stage of my life. They're just not right for me now in this stage of my life. I know what I want and I hope I have found it but I'm not coming with baggage from the old place. I'm not trying to escape anything. I like the new place for what it is now, not what it could be. Therefore, I don't want people moving there who will want to come in and change the place to make it more like the places they left. I especially don't want them coming there in huge voting clumps (master planned communities that do their PR work in certain states) which does have the potential to change the make-up of the town.
LAURAC, I'm impressed with your thoughts - very balanced and logical. I really connect with your viewpoint of certain places being appropriate for those certain stages of your life. That is very much in the forefront of our thoughts for where we will relocate to (or stay) after our kids have graduated from high school. (Sometimes I wonder if the area can still work, just downsize to a smaller home. Time will tell...)

Takes much thought, visits and consideration, and yes, no old baggage from the previous locale. Hopefully we don't end up in a spot that at one time had interesting character then becomes a cookie-cutter, generic Stepford Land.

My compliments to you for an interesting post.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
Maybe Check wants to know why people leave his state or why people come back. The best place to do that is in both forums.
That would make sense except Check doesn't come on here curious and full of questions. He's more likely to throw out one-liners and make snide remarks.

I agree with Adream. Good post!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:35 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
That would make sense except Check doesn't come on here curious and full of questions. He's more likely to throw out one-liners and make snide remarks.

I agree with Adream. Good post!

Well, now he is banned...

Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Well, now he is banned...
I noticed that too. I also noticed that Alm I700 and T.S. have been banned as well, along with a coupla of other people.

Life goes on.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-19-2006 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
I wish they were not banned. They did not use profanity or anything. All they did was express their rude unpopular opinions. So what. Even when someone angers me, at least I am challenged, so their being banned is a loss to me.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
I wish they were not banned. They did not use profanity or anything. All they did was express their rude unpopular opinions. So what. Even when someone angers me, at least I am challenged, so their being banned is a loss to me.
I agree. Unless I missed something, none of the above were particularly offensive. Then again, the mods may have cut some of their last posts. They seem to be much more...let's say, dilligent, lately.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I agree. Unless I missed something, none of the above were particularly offensive. Then again, the mods may have cut some of their last posts. They seem to be much more...let's say, dilligent, lately.
Just FYI, some of these posters were banned for conversations they were having on other city-data boards, not for what they said on this board

Old 11-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Nyer-

I'd say that makes you a bigger person than some other people.

I don't have any insider knowledge. I noticed it when some past threads were revived -- which happens when new members post at the end of a thread - and the whole thread gets bumped up. In skimming through some past posts to get the context, I noticed it. I have a habit of reading peoples' member names. I also noticed in the past that several of the posters had previously been restricted. That's also noted under the members' forum names. So perhaps the forum moderators or city data moderators felt that the members had been given fair warning? I can't speak for them and am not attempting to. This is my opinion only........erroneous as it may possibly be.

I suspect but do not know for sure that at least one person was banned for sending spam mail. I was one of many recipients. I'm grateful any time someone stops someone else from sending me unwanted spam mail.

I don't always agree with the rules here but they iz what they iz. I think the problem is, in part, that too few people read them. And they're often kind of subjective.

At any rate I think this thread is getting off topic .... which is another no-no. ( Yes, I'm aware that I've contributed to that, y'all) Ummm.... what was the original topic again? (Just trying to make a funny here) Oh yeah, why are so many people moving to NC? I also liked Laura C's post a LOT and thought it worthy of a repeat.

Quote:

I don't live in NC and I ruled it out after a weeklong visit to Asheville and vicinity this year and research but I'm reading the forums in all of the southeastern states (and my current mid-atlantic and former northeast state) because I want to know why everyone is moving around so much and the problems they create for the new location when they make poorly informed decisions. I like to jump in when the discussion is good.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-20-2006 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spaces, additonal thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina