Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:29 PM

110 posts, read 456,070 times

Advertisements

Don't let this thread scare you off Plattsburger - there are people in every state who don't want anyone else moving there. I heard the same thing when I moved to Oregon 10 years ago - that native Oregonians didn't like "outsiders" moving in, mainly because of the huge influx of people from California. I was worried that I wouldn't be accepted, but have had no problems. I don't expect to have problems in North Carolina, either. I move where my job takes me, and if there are a few people who don't want me there because I'm too liberal or not a native, that's their problem, not mine. Most people realize that we live in a very mobile society, and families who live in the same place for generations are now the exception, not the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Cool Not scared...........

Takes more than a little cornbread to scare me. I actually bake mine with jalapeno peppers chopped in and a little cheddar cheese and some minced onion, sort of like hush puppies.........The craziest thing about the putdown is that I am a southerner (born and bred twenty five years), and never really thought about people being "outsiders" until I moved north and got all the hillbilly, outhouse, no running water, toothless, inbreeding jokes from people. I quickly learned that people are people and there is just as much of all the above here as there. I think people who are uncomfortable with change or different types of folks than themselves tend not to welcome any part of "new" even if it might improve their lives and world. It is their loss because some of my best friends in the world live up here and I never expected it to turn out that way, either.......... Did you end up moving to Greenville? Weren't you looking around that area to find someplace to live? How was the search and what did you find?

Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 PM

110 posts, read 456,070 times
I haven't moved yet - but we are coming out there in just over a week to house hunt for a few days. My start date for my job in NC is March 5th. I'll be looking at Greenville, but for now I'm leaning towards Goldsboro, just because it's the city closest to my job (15 miles vs 35 for Greenville). Several of the people that I'll be working with live there, which is a plus. Also since it's an Air Force town there is likely to be more diversity. I stayed there last time I was out, in October. The north end of town looks pretty good, and I've seen some great properties online - NICE houses on 1 - 2 acres for under $200k. Sure a different world than where I am now. I still also like New Bern, but don't think I'd want to drive that far to work every day.
I've never had corn bread with jalapenos, but it sounds good! I'm all for trying something new. I feel sorry for people who get too "set in their ways" - they miss so much of the adventure of life!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Greenville is definitely on my list of possible places to live, and your post is very encouraging! I will be visiting the area next weekend. Do you know much about the Winterville/Ayden area? Looks to me like there's lots of new housing in that area, especially Winterville. I love antiques - do many of the towns around there have antique shops? What is the shopping like in Greenville?
Robin,

yes about the antiques. Wilson is known for its antique shops. It is even in there slogan.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
I haven't moved yet - but we are coming out there in just over a week to house hunt for a few days. My start date for my job in NC is March 5th. I'll be looking at Greenville, but for now I'm leaning towards Goldsboro, just because it's the city closest to my job (15 miles vs 35 for Greenville). Several of the people that I'll be working with live there, which is a plus. Also since it's an Air Force town there is likely to be more diversity. I stayed there last time I was out, in October. The north end of town looks pretty good, and I've seen some great properties online - NICE houses on 1 - 2 acres for under $200k. Sure a different world than where I am now. I still also like New Bern, but don't think I'd want to drive that far to work every day.
I've never had corn bread with jalapenos, but it sounds good! I'm all for trying something new. I feel sorry for people who get too "set in their ways" - they miss so much of the adventure of life!
Hey Robin! Just wondering where you ended up moving? How do you like it? I am fairly new to the Greenville area and am curious to here your opinion

Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,118 times
oops-hear your opinion. So was it Greenville, Goldsboro or New Bern???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina