Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 17,274 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to NC for a job in Fayetteville, but judging from what I've heard, there's a high crime rate, and doesn't seem like a safe place at night. I'm coming from the Lakeview area of Chicago, 30 years old, like music, running, food, arts, etc.

Can anyone give me any ideas of some surrounding towns that might be a good fit that are within a 30-45 minute commute from Fayetteville?

Thanks,
Dylan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM

3,614 posts, read 4,448,519 times
30-45mins I would definitely say Southern Pines or Pinehurst....although SP is catching up to Fayetteville rapidly this year in terms of violent crime.

but i still felt safer in SP than i do right now in fayetteville. the drive is not too bad, it is just a looooong 2 lane back road with no lights, driveways, business or anything....straight shot through the woods, people go anywhere from 50-90 there.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,795,586 times
To the OP - I agree with the PP, just be award that Southern Pines and Pinehurst are a lot slower-paced than Chicago. If you want major entertainment options, you will be driving to Raleigh or Durham anyway. (The Raleigh-Durham/Triangle area is realistically too far to commute to Fayetteville on a daily basis.)

Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 AM

460 posts, read 774,981 times
You could also look at Lillington, Sanford and Raeford, depending upon where in Fayetteville you are going to be working.

However, as noted in other threads, Fayetteville is not as bad as its reputation would have you believe. I lived for 12 years in and around Ft. Bragg / Fayetteville and never once was a victim to a violent crime. I generally steered clear of the notable bad areas in town, but otherwise didn't do anything other than take some very basic, common sense precautions.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM

983 posts, read 3,972,869 times
I've lived here all of my 42 years and I agree with MPRetired.

There's also Stedman & Eastover. You're less than 20 minutes from Fayetteville, but more "country" living. EXCELLENT schools in that area--you're in the Cape Fear HS School District and all of the elementary schools in that district, sans one, are fantastic schools.

As for not being safe at night...I've never been anywhere I "shouldn't" be...meaning hanging out with a bad crowd in a bad neighborhood, or up to something I really shouldn't be...and I've never felt unsafe. I'm comfortable being in town at 9-10pm at night with my 2 daughters, without having to have my husband along. And back in the day, "BK"--before kids, I hit a few clubs, leaving at 1am-2am, and never felt scared either.

Keep your things locked up, don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car, and always be aware of your surroundings...but you should to that ANYWHERE you are....not just Fayetteville.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 19,014 times
Hi all. I've been lurking the forum for a while but haven't posted. Anyways I will traveling to Fayetteville on Friday for a job interview at Highsmith-Rainey. If I am offered the position, can anyone recommend some nice apartments nearby? I'm 23, single & childless lol.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 AM

983 posts, read 3,972,869 times
What's your budget?? Do you have a car?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 19,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
What's your budget?? Do you have a car?
Yes I have a car, and I have been trying to research the rental market (via craigslist and realtor.com so I'm not sure if its the best tools). $800/month seems to be a reasonable price to afford a nice apartment in a decent part of town, correct? Or do I need to increase a bit more?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 17,274 times
Default Good towns to live in near Fayetteville?

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Fayetteville from Chicago, and previously lived in Northern Maine for 5 years during College. In Maine I loved the vast amount of woods, trails, lakes, etc, and in Chicago I enjoyed the coffee shops, bookstores, and live music options.

I like to run, hike, and bike, but also like having access to town areas with coffee shops, book stores, etc.

What are my options? I've heard good things about Hope Mills and Pinehurst, but I don't know if they have enough woods.

What are the most "woodsy" places around? How about College towns?

Thanks
Dylan

Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,795,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg30 View Post
What are the most "woodsy" places around? How about College towns?
Fort Bragg owns a huge amount of woods which they use for training.

If you go west about an hour and a half, you will be in the Uwharrie National Forest. That's not a feasible commute, but I think you can find rural housing in Carthage and West End. There are also interesting walking trails in Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. It's not a rigorous hike, but you will see a progression of the native trees as you go down to the river.

There are colleges around, but the only real "college town" is Chapel Hill. Campbell College in Buies Creek might have some entertainment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina