Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,296,170 times

Advertisements

Two gay couples request marriage licenses, are denied but official voices support

A local official charged with overseeing marriage and other licensing matters in Guilford County denied marriage licenses to two same-sex couples today, but issued a public statement in support of marriage equality and opposing laws which discriminate against same-sex couples.

In a statement on his Facebook page, Guilford Country Register of Deeds Jeff Thigpen, said he supported marriage equality, but could not fulfill the couples’ requests.
Quote:
“While I strongly believe that the recent US Supreme Court decision in United States v. Windsor makes it clear that North Carolina law prohibiting the issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couples violates the United States Constitution’s Due Process Clause contained in the Fifth Amendment (including its equal protection component), this issue is currently making its way through the courts and it would be irresponsible for this office to act before the Court has issued its ruling,”

read more here. N.C. official denies marriage licenses, but issues statement of support | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 AM

875 posts, read 1,158,006 times
This is exactly how it should be. A government official cannot selectively follow or enforce the law. However, he needs to leave his personal politics at home. I'm also glad to see that my tax money has enabled him to go to law school since he is obviously an expert in constitutional law, especially about how law is decided on "beliefs" instead of evidence.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,129,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
This is exactly how it should be. A government official cannot selectively follow or enforce the law. However, he needs to leave his personal politics at home. I'm also glad to see that my tax money has enabled him to go to law school since he is obviously an expert in constitutional law, especially about how law is decided on "beliefs" instead of evidence.

Yet we continue to have legal restrictions on gay Americans based on the "belief" that homosexuality is morally wrong.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
He did leave his politics at home. He did his job as registered of deeds and followed what NC law states and deny marraige between the same sex couple.
His FB account is his personal account and he has freedom to state whatever he believes.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,092,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
He did leave his politics at home. He did his job as registered of deeds and followed what NC law states and deny marraige between the same sex couple.
His FB account is his personal account and he has freedom to state whatever he believes.
Thank you. I cannot wait until we have legalized marriage for homosexuals. Because they deserve to have equal rights under the law.

And, as a bonus? It'll really tick off all the people who cannot separate church and state.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yet we continue to have legal restrictions on gay Americans based on the "belief" that homosexuality is morally wrong.
Such as? As far as I know, the Constitution applies to homosexuals just like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Thank you. I cannot wait until we have legalized marriage for homosexuals. Because they deserve to have equal rights under the law.

And, as a bonus? It'll really tick off all the people who cannot separate church and state.
Marriage is a privilege granted by the state, not a right. The state has an interest in promoting marriages that produce children. Marriage has been defined since the dawn of human civilization as between man and woman. Once you change the definition of marriage you destroy a societal foundation.

Call it a civil union and be done with it.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
He used his personal Facebook account to make an official statement on behalf of his office, hardly leaving his politics at home.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,417,445 times
Quote:
Marriage is a privilege granted by the state, not a right.
Quote:
Marriage is one of the 'basic civil rights of man,' fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. State of Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541, 62 S.Ct. 1110, 1113, 86 L.Ed. 1655 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190, 8 S.Ct. 723, 31 L.Ed. 654 (1888). To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.
Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

Quote:
The state has an interest in promoting marriages that produce children.
It does? Then why is there no test of one's fertility to make it necessary to get a marriage license? Why no oath that one is entering into the marriage with the intent to have children? Why allow seniors who are clearly past reproductive age to get married? Hell, if it's just about production of children why implement a system that limits potential reproductive partners?

Quote:
Marriage has been defined since the dawn of human civilization as between man and woman. Once you change the definition of marriage you destroy a societal foundation.
Demonstrably false as to your first point and as to the second point, the definition and obligations of marriage has changed many times over the course of history.

Beyond that in Western civilization alone, when was the last time you paid a dowry for a bride? When was the last time you arranged a marriage contract with someone, sight unseen? If marriage has remained unchanged, how is it that, I biracial man (or mulatto as we were once called), can marry my wife, a white woman, in NC and that marriage be valid? Marriage has changed whether you'd like to believe it or not.

Quote:
Call it a civil union and be done with it.
Fine, but give it all the rights and privileges of marriage.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

I stand corrected, as the article above was misleading. He posted a link to some account and it does have Guildford County letterhead on his FB account.

I assume he and others use this area to share their views and feelings.
To be fare to you netbrad it would be up to the county commissioners to decide what is appropriate.
This gentleman did follow his job, but still guildford county apparently affords him the freedom to do his job.

He made the statement as the couple that he denied came in on his daughter birthday.
as seen below.
Quote:
These couples chose to come to the Guilford County Register of Deeds on Monday, September 16th-my daughter Elle's birthday.

Elle turns 10 years old today. She's a bright and energetic young girl. I have no idea who she will ultimately choose to spend the rest of her life one day. As a father, I want her to be loved, appreciated and cared for. I want her to take marriage seriously along with the fidelity and commitment. And selfishly, I want to make the world's greatest father/daughter dance video at her wedding!

I have no idea if she will be straight or gay. I just hope and pray she'd live in an America that did two things: uphold what is at the heart of all of our values as people-that we'd want to treat each other the way we'd want to be treated. In addition, we'd uphold a central value of who we are as a nation: that we are all created equal. That's what I want for Elle.

Cheryl, Tracey, Sheila, and Deborah deserve that too.
The actual letter Statement on Marriage Equality and Couples Visiting ROD office today.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)
That is a single judges opinion about interracial marriage between opposite sex couples, not about homosexual marriage.

Quote:
It does? Then why is there no test of one's fertility to make it necessary to get a marriage license? Why no oath that one is entering into the marriage with the intent to have children? Why allow seniors who are clearly past reproductive age to get married? Hell, if it's just about production of children why implement a system that limits potential reproductive partners?
I meant the state had an interest (historically speaking) in ensuring marriage produced children, not making the production of children a requirement. That still doesn't change the fact that marriage has always been defined as between a man and woman throughout human history.

Quote:
Demonstrably false as to your first point and as to the second point, the definition and obligations of marriage has changed many times over the course of history.
Your picture consists of selected Bible versus, I am not referring to the Bible in any way.

Quote:
Beyond that in Western civilization alone, when was the last time you paid a dowry for a bride? When was the last time you arranged a marriage contract with someone, sight unseen? If marriage has remained unchanged, how is it that, I biracial man (or mulatto as we were once called), can marry my wife, a white woman, in NC and that marriage be valid? Marriage has changed whether you'd like to believe it or not.
The ceremonies and customs around marriage have changed but all of the examples you mention were/are still between a man and a woman which is the traditional definition.

Quote:
Fine, but give it all the rights and privileges of marriage.
Agreed, however I'm not sure what additional rights are granted by marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina