Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
well I wanted to retire next year, not quite old enough for Medicare. I could have cobra'd my employers insurance for 18 months at a mere 700.00 a month. I could have went with a private carrier, alas, not with a bad heart, no one wants to cover you, however if I could have found a carrier, it would have been between 1200.00 to 1400.00 a month...not able to do that on SS. My SS will be 14,000.00 a year. My portion of the insurance coverage will be around 50.00 a month (Silver plan) after the federal contribution. For me it works, for me I can get out of the work force and some young person can come take my job (which has fabulous medical benefits ) The more money you make the more you will pay.
And what happens if you move out of state? Say in the middle of the year? Then what?
Yes so your situation represents the great in the ACA. So many are in that situation who could not otherwise get coverage.

I actually was wondering the same thing about moving out of state in the middle of the year (I'd have to sell a house so it probably wouldn't be anyway). Surely that will happen to folks...but I doubt that detail was thoroughly planned.

I agree that in a few years we won't recognize this. Might be a rough few years until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The cynic in me thinks that this is driving towards single payer. And I'm not judging whether that would be good or bad. It's just suspicious.
When this first started up, they wanted a single payer system (which would have been ideal), but settled on the ACA in order to attempt to compromise with the Republicans. Hopefully this is just a stepping stone on the way to a more stable national healthcare system. I for one, cannot wait to present my case to the national death panel.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Apparently it will be bad for NC:

Based on a Manhattan Institute analysis of the HHS numbers, Obamacare will increase underlying insurance rates for younger men by an average of 97 to 99 percent, and for younger women by an average of 55 to 62 percent. Worst off is North Carolina, which will see individual-market rates triple for women, and quadruple for men.

Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes

Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Looked at the #'s and a family of 4 earning $50,000 will be able to get a mid grade plan for $282.00/mo after tax credit. This is above the avg. earnings in NC by about $6000. So lower earners will find larger tax credits.

This is less then most co. plan to charge their employees.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Apparently it will be bad for NC:

Based on a Manhattan Institute analysis of the HHS numbers, Obamacare will increase underlying insurance rates for younger men by an average of 97 to 99 percent, and for younger women by an average of 55 to 62 percent. Worst off is North Carolina, which will see individual-market rates triple for women, and quadruple for men.

Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes
Well, someone is going to have egg on their face come Oct. 1. If it's the administration then we're all screwed. But I have a feeling they are not counting on wool in order for their plan to work and if MI is wrong then the administration will just strengthen their line on how the right will lie to scare you out of benefits. Not good for the right I'd say.

I don't think we'll see 4X raise in anything in NC. It's peculiar to state this since sample rates have already been released. Even Justice Institute is surprised by how low the numbers are considering the lack of competition.

For me, the rates look very reasonable and that's before tax breaks and consideration that I can't buy affordably on the open market due to pre-existing conditions.

My beef with the whole thing is states rights. As a nation we keep doing things because they are "right" versus that little clause about the states. And I don't care about commerce clause arguments or even the right for the fed to tax based on Supreme Court whacky decisions. That's just how I feel.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Looked at the #'s and a family of 4 earning $50,000 will be able to get a mid grade plan for $282.00/mo after tax credit. This is above the avg. earnings in NC by about $6000. So lower earners will find larger tax credits.

This is less then most co. plan to charge their employees.
Except when insurers and doctors start exiting the market due to ever increasing costs, then everyone will pay a lot more. My rates increased 30% over last year because of this. The haves are being forced to pay for the have nots against their will because it isn't "fair". It was never about insurance anyway, it was about having the ability to pay for medical services.

Quote:
For me, the rates look very reasonable and that's before tax breaks and consideration that I can't buy affordably on the open market due to pre-existing conditions.
I'm sorry about your condition but as I've stated above, my rate increase is paying for your ability to get insurance. So are the increased taxes on medical manufacturers (many of whom have laid off people) and other cost increasing portions of the bill.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I'm sorry about your condition but as I've stated above, my rate increase is paying for your ability to get insurance. So are the increased taxes on medical manufacturers (many of whom have laid off people) and other cost increasing portions of the bill.
Your rates are not paying anything for me. OTOH 50% of the property taxes I pay go to children's education for kids I do not have. Apparently, some think that educating kids I don't have makes the world a better place and therefore benefits me. I am not trying to bring the argument to a general one as I am speaking of property taxes that are paid on the local level. There's a big difference between local and a federal mandate.

But we also have a department of education that some think would be cruel to eliminate on a national level and then there's medicare and medicaid and social security that people also think have good preventative measures but still are questionable on the federal level. This is why the GOP is trying so hard to overturn ACA because once it's there it will be impossible to take back. Of course that's unless the GOP is right.

I am not qualified to participate in Obamacare. That doesn't mean I can't check a rate chart.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Your rates are not paying anything for me.
I apologize then. I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant that with the ACA you could get insurance after previously not having it.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default control

If the costs are indeed as high as shown for a family of four in NC, This will hurt business here more than it will hurt everywhere because people will look else where.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I didn't realize that Coventry was only offering plans in certain counties (BCBS will in all) - it's really unfortunate that we don't have the same level of competition here because that will only hurt the consumer:

Little Competiton, High Premiums In NC Health Insurance Marketplace | WFAE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina