U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM
 
29 posts, read 94,204 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Hi, Does anyone have advice on affordable family insurance for a family of three. My son-in-law is self-employed at the moment and my daughter is a stay at home mom with a two year old. I'm concerned that when they finally move to N.C. they might not be able to find affordable health insurance. Some of the posts on this forum seem "frightening". If anyone has any leads, please post. Thanks again for such a wonderful forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2006, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,245 posts, read 95,540,253 times
Reputation: 40110
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
Hi, Does anyone have advice on affordable family insurance for a family of three. My son-in-law is self-employed at the moment and my daughter is a stay at home mom with a two year old. I'm concerned that when they finally move to N.C. they might not be able to find affordable health insurance. Some of the posts on this forum seem "frightening". If anyone has any leads, please post. Thanks again for such a wonderful forum.
Not sure what exactly is "frightening" on this forum, but for the self employed and unemployed in NC Blue Cross Blue Shield advertizes individual policies for reasonable prices. You could go to their website and probably find more info. Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,985 posts, read 17,953,041 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
Hi, Does anyone have advice on affordable family insurance for a family of three. My son-in-law is self-employed at the moment and my daughter is a stay at home mom with a two year old. I'm concerned that when they finally move to N.C. they might not be able to find affordable health insurance. Some of the posts on this forum seem "frightening". If anyone has any leads, please post. Thanks again for such a wonderful forum.
HI there. I hope this helps,, Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC rates

5000 deductable 50% insurance 30 co pay family of three $ 325 month

2500 deduct 80% insurance ( which means they pay 20% after deduct) is $ 462.00 a month with 15 dollar copays.
I quoted the cheapest and the middle of the road, there are ones in between and higher as well. We were a family of 6 and we payed almost 750.00 for ours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 25,958,317 times
Reputation: 3849
Their current health insurance provider doesn't operate in North Carolina?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,591,428 times
Reputation: 164
Default Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
Hi, Does anyone have advice on affordable family insurance for a family of three. My son-in-law is self-employed at the moment and my daughter is a stay at home mom with a two year old. I'm concerned that when they finally move to N.C. they might not be able to find affordable health insurance. Some of the posts on this forum seem "frightening". If anyone has any leads, please post. Thanks again for such a wonderful forum.

Hi Grandma,

What we found when checking into BC/Blue Shield of N.C. in a similar situation was that the least expensive of the policies were reimbursement type policies. In other words- we paid the bill up front and waited for them to approve the claim(s) and reimburse us. If you've ever haggled with an insurance company over a paying a simple annual OB - GYN visit, for example-as I have, perhaps you can understand why a policy like that wasn't attractive to us.

Also, BC/ BS, oddly enough, in our experience, was a company that charged the same for a family plan as it did for adding *only* a spouse.

We've had some pretty good health insurance in our lives and been most grateful for it. I can't count BC/ BS among those who have provided it. Our current health insurance is with United Health Care. They are great! Unfortunately the company who provides us with insurance is switching to B/C/ BS at the end of October. We are *NOT* looking forward to the hassles, haggling, and additional expense

If your son-in-law is looking into Blue/Cross Blue Shield in a self employed situation I'd advise him to read the fine print carefully.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-16-2006 at 05:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 25,958,317 times
Reputation: 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Hi Grandma,

What we found when checking into BC/Blue Shield of N.C. in a similar situation was that the least expensive of the policies were reimbursement type policies. In other words- we paid the bill up front and waited for them to approve the claim(s)and reimburse us. If you've ever haggled with an insurance company over a paying a simple annual OB - GYN visit, for example-as I have, perhaps you can understand why a policy like that wasn't attractive to us.

Also, BC/ BS, oddly enough, in our experience, was a company that charged the same for a family plan as it did for adding *only* a spouse.

We've had some pretty good health insurance in our lives and been most grateful for it. I can't count BC/ BS among those who have provided it. Our current health insurance is with United Health Care. They are great! Unfortunately the company who provides us with insurance is switching to B/C/ BS at the end of October. We are *NOT* looking forward to the hassles, haggling, and additional expense

Regards,

Cassie
Blue Cross doesn't publish payment amounts for common medical procedures?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
 
1,035 posts, read 2,783,989 times
Reputation: 246
If you have a traditional plan NOT HMO, an ins company will generally pay what is usual and customary for the service in the area
So if your dr charges $150 but U &C is only $100, you are only getting back the $100 or the % they pay -
WIth an HMO, the dr and HMO have a neg price but you don't pay up front-only your co-pay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 PM
 
38 posts, read 178,025 times
Reputation: 29
It all depends on where you're moving from, but we moved from WA to NC and were HORRIFIED with the insurance costs we found. Even the folks at BCBS said they hear complaints of being so costly in NC. We have just left NC and never did really find a great insurance policy. High insurance costs were the cry of many newcomers we spoke with.

If their budget is tight, I would just advise that they do secure real quotes (that go all the way through the underwriting process so there's no last minute surprises) so they are aware of what their real costs would be.

Smart to do the homework ahead of time! Something we just took for granted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,985 posts, read 17,953,041 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoozeJoy View Post
It all depends on where you're moving from, but we moved from WA to NC and were HORRIFIED with the insurance costs we found. Even the folks at BCBS said they hear complaints of being so costly in NC. We have just left NC and never did really find a great insurance policy. High insurance costs were the cry of many newcomers we spoke with.

If their budget is tight, I would just advise that they do secure real quotes (that go all the way through the underwriting process so there's no last minute surprises) so they are aware of what their real costs would be.

Smart to do the homework ahead of time! Something we just took for granted.
Did you go back to WA? I am from Or and we just left NC also. But we went to AZ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,591,428 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
If you have a traditional plan NOT HMO, an ins company will generally pay what is usual and customary for the service in the area So if your dr charges $150 but U &C is only $100, you are only getting back the $100 or the % they pay -
WIth an HMO, the dr and HMO have a neg price but you don't pay up front-only your co-pay.
Hi Weis,

The question was about health insurance being self-employed. My response was about checking into similar policies with BS/ BC of N.C. in that context.
The least expensive of those were reimbursement policies where we paid the bill up front, waited for the insurance company to approve the claim and reimburse us. The least expensive of those reimbursement plans also charged the same for a spouse as they did for a family.

However, we have also had BC/BS through a previous employer. Same price to add only a spouse as an entire family. It was the worst insurance and the most difficult time we have ever had with an insurance company. They can publish whatever they want to. Doesn't mean they won't fight the claim or drag it out for months before paying it. It took me 4, count 'em 4-- months and numerous phone calls before they finally paid the bill on an annual OB -GYN visit. I honestly began to wonder if they did it just to get people to cave in and pay the bill themselves. Certainly would have been less aggravation and less costly considering the amount of time I put into getting them to pay what they were supposed to pay.

Regards,

Cassie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top