Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Is this sarcasm?
Nope.

Quote:
The insurers following the law...
...isn't the issue. Read the quote again if that still isn't clear.

They knew long before now what their plan was.
In 2010 HHS pointed out the conflict...
Their actuaries and analyst's did their calculations...

They had the choice in HOW to go about it.
They chose to not act in their clients best interest or in the best interest of the Country as a whole.

A simple "ahem, do you guys realize..." would have done it.
And that could have been done **years** ago.

Quote:
I was not aware...
That comes up a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Blue Cross seeks higher rates for revived health plans :: WRAL.com

Apparently there will be a 16-23% increase in premiums for reinstated plans. I sincerely wish everyone the best in finding a plan they can afford, whether it be an old plan or a new one!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I don't want my plan reinstated....i'm paying $170 a month but have a $4000 deductible!

Who would want that?

Still anxiously awaiting the approval of my application for a subsidy that will include a better BC/BS policy.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I don't want my plan reinstated....i'm paying $170 a month but have a $4000 deductible!

Who would want that?

Still anxiously awaiting the approval of my application for a subsidy that will include a better BC/BS policy.
That doesn’t sound so bad to me. Basically you are paying for your basics. Checkup, bloodwork, colds and flu, maybe some stitches. Pretty much everything if you have a healthy year. You are going to shop around for the best deals and quality. But if you need serious care, and I won’t jinx you by listing any, you’re only out the balance of the $4k. It would be a hardship, but it won’t bankrupt you. We need to get away from the co-pay model where we don’t care about how much care cost. Good Luck.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I just received a letter from BCBS saying I could now keep my old individual policy for a year and there would be a price increase but didn't say how much.

My concern of getting an ACA exchange policy is that too many hospitals are being excluded. In New Hampshire, almost half of their hospitals are being excluded from Obamacare.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I just received a letter from BCBS saying I could now keep my old individual policy for a year and there would be a price increase but didn't say how much.

My concern of getting an ACA exchange policy is that too many hospitals are being excluded. In New Hampshire, almost half of their hospitals are being excluded from Obamacare.
Hospitals can't sign up for "Obamacare". They're either in-network for the plan you purchase or they're not. Just like it works now. In the case of "on-exchange" plans, the more limited networks will be in the Bronze level, and they'll cost less. Limiting the network to the most cost-efficient facilities is the primary way to get the premiums down.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Quote:

I don't think that will be the case here though, since BCBS are issuing ACA plans and pretty much they run the show in NC.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
Quote:
Excluding the less-than-accurate terminology in the above quote, I do hear what she/he is saying. You must carefully check which doctors and hospitals are "in-network" in these new ACA health plans. Here in Durham, NC, neither hospital is in the BCBS "Value" network! However, BCBS' "Advantage" network does include the Durham hospitals...for more money of course. This is the downside of the near-monopoly Duke has on healthcare here in Durham.

Insurance is so complex, it is easy to understand that folks will blame the wrong culprit for any shortcomings.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Received my rate renewal for my current BC/BS of NC policy which was established in 2012, a PPO with a $5000 deductible, HSA eligible. When this policy was issued, I was rated at the highest legal premium for my age (then 55) due to the fact that I take 3 prescription medications (all generic and cheap).

Premium in 2012 - $351
Premium in 2013 - $391
Premium in 2014 - $483

Cost for a nearly identical policy on the ACA exchange - $492. I do not qualify for subsidies.

The exchange policy would give me the additional benefits of free birth control (I'm 57 years old), pediatric dental and vision for my non-existent children, and mental health services, which I may need to help me control my anger issues at this entire debacle.

By the way, since 2007, my total medical costs including prescriptions have NOT exceeded $750 per year.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I was shocked at the costs when I ran the numbers. I have a grandfathered policy that I hope will not increase too much next renewal.

I don't know how a lot of people are going to be able to afford these premiums. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina