Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That's just great. I sure hope that the legislature goes back to the usual Democratic majority after November.
The dems screwed up many things for the 100 years they had control NOW it is the adults turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM

90 posts, read 192,860 times
From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), but national forests are not completely off limits to this type of stuff are they?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
Rep. Becky Carney, D-Mecklenburg says she "pushed the wrong button."
How many buttons were there, nine?
Like NorasMom says, is there not a Confirmation Prompt?
How can any human being "push" a wrong button?
It's much easier to "push" the Right button and then lie about it.
Even i could do the mistake, unless i decide ahead of time which button to press...in this case i would keep telling myself "press the red button" as i walk towards the voting machine. but, these things should be allowed to correct, what a shame to democracy!!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Default Thoughts on fracking in NC?

So the Governor has signed the bill for fracking to begin in NC. It now includes even more counties than previously revealed, 10 or more, I believe, with some being in western NC. I for one have great concerns, given I have family in NE PA who have been dealing with this for several years, and three of them have died all within a year and a half of each other (my brother - cancer, his wife & son - leukemmia). Knowing that doctors and firemen have to sign non disclosure agreements before attempting to treat/save someone is clearly a red flag. Parts of Durham and Wake counties are on shale. I cannot imagine what this is going to do to the infrastructure given what I've seen in PA, not to mention the rents and crime that have risen there as well. Of course our health is the most obvious concern.

Last edited by hula; 06-05-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I will move out of state because of it (and because our legislature couldn't care less about NC residents).

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I will move out of state because of it (and because our legislature couldn't care less about NC residents).
We are considering the same, although in doing research between pipelines, coah ash, tar sands mining, and of course politics, there's very few places to go anymore. We were considering Vermont (great politics), but there's a pipeline that Canada wants to build that would go though the entire state. Also read about one from PA thru WV, VA, and NC in the planning stages.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I bet a lot of people are wishing now they hadn't voted for ole Pat. We tried to warn y'all

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
This is the part of the bill that gets my blood boiling:

The North Carolina Senate on Thursday voted to make it a crime to disclose the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, even as big U.S. oil companies elsewhere consider releasing more information about the fluids to address public concerns about the environment.

North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets | Reuters

Between this fracking bill and the total pass that Duke Energy got for dumping coal ash into our rivers show how shamelessly the republicans in the legislature and governors mansion have sold themselves to the energy lobby.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
We need to nationialize our energy resources, much like we do some of our other natural resources, and start thinking of them as items of national security. They should be held and not sold abroad regardless of price.

We need to start working on alternative forms of energy. We should be as self-sufficient in our energy as we can be. We should not be held hostage by any external entity for anything we as a country need.

No more "blood for oil" ever again. And it should be "no more blood for <insert anything here>" ever again.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM

There's a series on Showtime called "Years of Living Dangerously" and one of the episodes in particular, "Winds of Change" covers a lot about fracking. There was info there I hadn't seen covered in Gasland I or II, particularly on the toxins in the air, which I believe is what got to my family members in NEPA who died.

I also wonder if they intend to use the water from Jordan Lake to frack with and maybe that's why they wouldn't do anything to improve the condition of it. It takes over a million gallons a water a day to frack one well and a well can be active for up to two years.

One thing people may not be prepared for either is once they decide the well is dry they charge the homeowner to have the equipment removed. This starting happening in NEPA this year and people were not prepared for this.

One thing to do is have your water tested NOW and from a company you can trust. What used to be a very low charge test, around $60 has been jacked up over time and now costs anywhere from $500-$1000 in PA. If you don't test before you'll never know what's in the water before they start filling it with all the poisons that they will later try to say were there all along.

http://www.cwfnc.org/community-news/...rinking-water/

Last edited by hula; 06-05-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina