Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 AM

673 posts, read 2,680,367 times

Advertisements

I am in Waxhaw, and just wondered if it was worth it to take a trip to High Point for furniture. Some people have told me you get much better deals there, but I think it is about 1 hour and 40 minutes away from me. Any recommendations if I go? I am looking for bedroom sets, hallway/entryway furniture, and a new bathroom vanity & sink. By the way, I am not one to buy the most expensive furniture. My home is nicely furnished, but I have done so on a budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Default Try Hickory and Morganton

You could do very well with the discount dealers and outlets in the places from Hickory to Morganton.

Bedroom sets - If you like the large wood sets - Try Dales on Highway 18 - That is off of exit 105 of Interstate 40 - If you are exiting from going westbound, turn left, and go south about 4 or 5 miles. You will see a sign for Dales on your right. It looks like a salvage yard on the outside (actually it is), with old lamp posts, marble slabs, etc...But, they always have a good selection of wood bedroom sets, at good prices.

There are other places in this area.

If you go up Highway 321 to Hickory - Stay on Hwy 321 (It turns into a 4 lane boulevard) - In the stretch going north from Hickory to Lenoir - It is called "Furniture Alley" by many. There are plenty of outlets and dealers - And you will get great bargains there. But, go up the whole stretch of Highway 321 (towards Lenoir), and do some price comparisions. You'll start to see the dealers and outlets one after the other...

In my opinion, this is much better than High Point...Though, High Point does have some discount places...I just think it is easier to visit more places along Highway 321...

If you are a dealer, then it is a whole different story...There are wholesale discounters scattered all around from Morganton to Hickory, and north to Lenoir - But, they are harder to locate.

Last edited by migee; 07-05-2007 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,598 times
Highpoint is the home of the international furniture market so this would lead people to assume you can get good deals there. The truth is its not going to very much cheaper in Highpoint unless you know some one from the market or a dealer rep. When I was young I worked the market and at the end of the event they would almost give away all the display furniture, plants, lights art work every thing was sold cheap.,but you need a inside connection now.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:57 PM

348 posts, read 430,112 times
I went to High Point when I first moved here 3 years ago. I have to say that I returned empty handed, as I found everything to be mostly expensive. It really surprised me, as I expected hardcore deals.

If you're in Waxhaw, check out the furniture store on Lancaster Highway--Furniture Factory Outlet World. 704-843-2128. There are great deals to be had! I found beautiful things at a great price. Delivery there is sketchy at best, as most people bring a u-haul truck and just load up. They do partner with trucking companies, but its inconsistent. So be warned. But it's a massively huge place with great deals.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 AM

47 posts, read 195,279 times
I suppose it really depends upon what you think is reasonable & a bargain. We moved down from Boston & actually did a lot of shopping before we came b/c we found it more difficult to find modern furniture down here. That being said we did visit Highpoint & the only place where we felt we found a "deal" was at Furnitureland South. We price compared with 2 stores in Raleigh that carried the bed we were looking for & it was @ 50% more in Raleigh. So from that perspective it was a deal. But I agree, on the whole, I didn't find Highpoint to be much of a bargain.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Some good suggestion above esp Furnitureland South.

There has been rumor the International furniture market being moved to Las Vegas so that might become a part of history for High Point. I like deep dark tones and Indian design so I tend to go to Gaffney SC to the Bombay Oulet there alot of same items carried on their website but instead of paying heavy shipping costs I just pick it up and take advantage of sc lower gas prices. They also have a Pottery Barn Outlet there as well.

Thomasville Furniture Oulet in Thomasville usually has a very good sale Memorial day and this coming Labor day if you want to wait for that I have a sales lady who has always been very helpful matching colors and fabrics and she would be glad to send you a brochure if you want just send me private message by clicking my name if you want her contact info. They usually carry what the main stores carries at some point. My favorite is there hemingway collection and Humprey Bogart collection.

It becoming harder to find good quality furniture as most of it is going overseas for production.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
We shopped in Raleigh and then called Furnitureland South with specific model #s and fabric selections. They were SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive.

This was after we drove out there and got completely overwhelmed by the scale of FLS. We found it virtually impossible to "look around" a place that big.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM

60 posts, read 309,168 times
Hickory, Hickory, Hickory!!
We stopped by the Hickory Furniture Mart (?) off of I-40 last weekend after a day trip to Linville Caverns (Fun! and cool on a hot day ) and I was blown away. I swear you would need at least a few days to see everything. It is four levels of wall to wall furniture.

We had been looking at a Bassett sofa at their store here in Concord and the way we wanted it made was going to be around $3000. We stopped in the "store" in the Mart that offers Bassett and we saw our sofa - $1500!

Of course, I asked what the catch was, and the guy said nothing. They can order the same sofa from Bassett, from Bassett for less. We haven't bought yet, and I'm still thinking there's a catch somewhere, but I'll post again when we get ready to buy.

Happy furniture shopping!
Nicole

Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Hickory, Hickory, Hickory!!
We stopped by the Hickory Furniture Mart (?) off of I-40 last weekend after a day trip to Linville Caverns (Fun! and cool on a hot day ) and I was blown away. I swear you would need at least a few days to see everything. It is four levels of wall-to-wall furniture.

We had been looking at a Bassett sofa at their store here in Concord and the way we wanted it made was going to be around $3000. We stopped in the "store" in the Mart that offers Bassett and we saw our sofa - $1500!

Of course, I asked what the catch was, and the guy said nothing. They can order the same sofa from Bassett for less. We haven't bought yet, and I'm still thinking there's a catch somewhere, but I'll post again when we get ready to buy.

Happy furniture shopping!
Nicole

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Sorry for the double post
My computer locked up for a minute
Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina