U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,248,081 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I just love the charm and character of the 1920's Craftsman Bungalow.
I want to buy one as an investment, summer/retirement home.

Is there an area or city in NC where there are a lot of these type homes?

I try various searches on realtor websites and can't seem find many. Some realtors didn't even know what a Craftsman Bungalow is.

Would like at least a 1/4 acre, close to a major city.

Best regards,
Tom
Rate this post positively

Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,113,272 times
Both Raleigh and Durham have tons of them!
Just find any real estate agent who specializes in the older urban neighborhoods, they should know exactly what you want and how to get one.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM

129 posts, read 728,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Hi there.

I just love the charm and character of the 1920's Craftsman Bungalow.
I want to buy one as an investment, summer/retirement home.

Is there an area or city in NC where there are a lot of these type homes?

I try various searches on realtor websites and can't seem find many. Some realtors didn't even know what a Craftsman Bungalow is.

Would like at least a 1/4 acre, close to a major city.

Best regards,
Tom
Hi Tom,

Not only do I know what they are, I love them! I currently know where one is located for sale on a main st in a little town in western NC. The home was renovated a couple of years ago, sits on about 1/2 an acre. It's located about an hours drive from Asheville or Charlotte NC and Greenville SC. If you need more info just PM me and I'll be happy to elaborate.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,915,232 times
Default Greensboro has many

Greensboro has some neighborhoods with these types of homes (Sunset Hills, Lindley Park, Aycock District), although I wouldn't consider them "summer homes" since they are in city neighborhoods.

EDIT: This website ( http://www.blandwood.org/links.html ) has links to a few of the neighborhoods (see bottom of that page for the neighborhood links)

Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM

212 posts, read 1,025,806 times
Check out Wilson, NC, the "City of Bungalows". Some incredible bungalows in the West Nash Historic district. Be aware that the neighborhoods to the East and South are very tough.

the new hwy 264 bypass around Knightdale puts you inside of 40 minutes to the Raleigh city limits.

Last edited by clodhopper; 10-17-2006 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 40,969 times
Default Craftsman Bungalow Homes

We may have just the house for you, Tom. We own a wonderful Craftsman-style bungalow in West Jefferson, in the northwest corner of NC. West Jefferson is fast becoming a popular vacation and retirement spot. Wonderful downtown with lots of art galleries, and our house is located smack dab downtown, in front of the library, on a half-acre of fenced land. We love our house and are currently finishing up a gorgeous restoration, accomplished by my husband, a carpenter and furniture maker. But sadly, we are also contemplating a possible move in mid-2007. It may be that we will have to sell the house. If we do, we want to sell to someone who won't come in with a can of white paint and cover up the woodwork my husband has just spent a year restoring! Feel free to be in touch if you are going to be in the area and want to see the house. Can't promise that we're selling, but....

Also, there are several other beautiful bungalows in our neighborhood. None currently for sale, but things happen.

I see you live in New York. Are you in Manhattan? We might arrange a little home-trading vacation....

--Ginny T

Old 02-24-2007, 09:14 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,892,171 times
Hi Tom,

There is a very popular builder in the Charlotte area who specializes in Craftsman style, Saussy Burbank. They have communities of new construction in Belmont, McAdenville, South Charlotte and Fort Mill, SC.
If you're looking for a true older craftsman style built prior to say 1960 or so you'd find them is Dilworth, Myers Park, Eastover sections of South Charlotte. You could access my website, found under my profile, and do a property search to find what's on the market. If you have specific questions send me a note.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 81,113 times
I have noticed many Craftsmen Bungalows in the Asheville area. I found them on Craigslist.com Good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM

62 posts, read 309,419 times
Wow - if a realtor doesn't know what a craftsman style bungalow home is, I think they must be in the wrong business. However, there are a lot of new ones out there so maybe that is the reason.
There are tons of bungalows around many large cities in NC and even more in small rural towns. You might want to choose what area you desire and then narrow down your search.
Otherwise, you may find the perfect home only to later learn it is not the area that you desire. It is always wise to prioritize what your needs are regarding a certain area first.
Good luck in your search.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,248,081 times
Wow! My thread got revived from October.
I was happy to see more add ons.

Thanks everyone, and you're right Cindy about the location being the priority. I was looking for something close to a major city (meaning Raleigh, Charlotte, WS, Ashville etc)

And Ginny anyone who would have the nerve to cover up the millwork by painting it white would have to have their head examined lol.

The ideal situation would be a 1925 Craftsman, about 1800-2000sf, nicely finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina