Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM

328 posts, read 767,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhovianGirl18 View Post
People make fun of her accent because it's southern. She hates the food there and misses hush puppies, other good southern food and good BBQ, and cheerwine. She misses the southern heat and humidity.

Who in their right mind would miss the humidity? Seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
Who in their right mind would miss the humidity? Seriously!
I'd nix the humidity and go with her missing the heat and the tobacco and cotton fields. Something in touch with the lay of the land.

I'm 46 and a native. Never even tasted Cheerwine.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Did she have grandparents in the South as well? If so, perhaps she could miss her southern grandma's biscuits and molasses.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I'm sure they do have biscuits in Mass (seems like every fast food restaurant has them now), but depending on the time period of when your story is set they might not have been common then.

Off topic, but once, 20 yrs ago, my spouse was standing in line at Biscuitville behind a woman w/ a Northeastern accent who asked for a bagel (at Biscuitville!?!) and then when the person working the counter told her they didn't have bagels she asked, "well what do you have that's bread-y then?" Ummm, biscuits?

I doubt if the humidity is that different in Mass, but the heat in the summer is.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM

23 posts, read 67,565 times
Sorry if I insulted people if the alcoholic dad and the mom with no job. I didn't mean it like that I just meant if it to be a little information on why she moved.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
yes, of course she sounds authentic!

Why, MOST southerners are products of the unemployed and alcoholic, so astute of you to notice!

I hope you aren't forgetting the pick up truck, the trailer park, and the cousin-wives! Yeah boy! I'd love to read more, but I got me a turkey shoot to 'tend to afore church! Yeeeeee-haw!
Don't be a jerk! I didn't say her dad was an alcoholic because he is in the south!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm sure they do have biscuits in Mass (seems like every fast food restaurant has them now), but depending on the time period of when your story is set they might not have been common then.

Off topic, but once, 20 yrs ago, my spouse was standing in line at Biscuitville behind a woman w/ a Northeastern accent who asked for a bagel (at Biscuitville!?!) and then when the person working the counter told her they didn't have bagels she asked, "well what do you have that's bread-y then?" Ummm, biscuits?

I doubt if the humidity is that different in Mass, but the heat in the summer is.
Lol she must have not read it right

Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
just write what you know. and if that is accurate, you are fine

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
I'd second the suggestion to ask on the Massachusetts board. Cornbread is universal, but northern cornbread is sweet.

I can't speak for New England, but as a native of the MidWest, biscuits were not a rarity. There were beaten biscuits & baking soda biscuits.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhovianGirl18 View Post
Don't be a jerk! I didn't say her dad was an alcoholic because he is in the south!
You might want to throw in that the character is oversensitive to anything that may be interpreted as criticism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina