Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 AM

9 posts, read 15,643 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida for the most of my life until I joined the svc in 2002. Since then I've lived in numerous areas such as NC, MD, Ca, IL, ME and so forth. While in the svc I got married and had 3 amazing children. In 2011 I got out and wanted to focus more on raising a family and getting a better paying job. I am now a PTA and my wife is a nurse. We just recently moved back to Florida in August however I am not liking it the way I used to when I was growing up. Maybe because I have matured and have family now, needless to say Florida does not seem like my cup of tea anymore. Granted I do like the warm weather and the beach from time to time but Florida over the yrs have become over populated, saturated with tourists, crime rates have increased, school system is not up to par, humidity is dreadful, hell it was dreadful even when i was growing up in Ormond Beach but that was then, job market is good but unemployment is increasing. Furthermore, while I was in the svc I had the luxury to travel. I was able to visit the mtns of georgia and NC and WOW!! It was beautiful. Lakes were amazing, the towns were small, and the communities were awesome. This is something I would like to ultimately settle down to. I love to hike, camp, fish, mtn biking, boating and any other outdoor fun. I am done with the big city life and want to raise my family in a well suited small town community. I do like Asheville and north western parts of NC. My question is does anyone have info as far as to cost of living, education for kids, job market/growth, housing market things of that nature. Any info would be helpful and I would be much obliged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Asheville'e economy is heavily tourist dependent. Jobs can be hard to come by and low-paying. It's a great place to live if you can line up a good job before moving, but don't plan to move there and find a job. Lots of retirees in the area, too.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:10 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Born_Maine at Heart View Post
My question is does anyone have info as far as to cost of living, education for kids, job market/growth, housing market things of that nature. Any info would be helpful and I would be much obliged.
There are numerous answers to your questions about Asheville in the Western NC sub-forum. The consensus is that the COL is fairly high relative to the pay of the available jobs. Jobs are hard to get, but there was one success story by a guy who is an auto mechanic.

It would help if you listed what your jobs skills are, for example, I don't know the acronym "PTA"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina