Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,405,502 times

Advertisements

I am happy to make recommendations. I was born here, live here and I know NC pretty well. I answered the OP. But I can't make helpful recommendations when someone says "Where should I move?" It's a huge decision. I'm hesitant to just throw out names of towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM

354 posts, read 622,794 times
[quote=faithin;34347225]I want to move to NC but have no idea what city, I have heard good things about Greensboro.
I live in MD.[/

what is your field of work? Raleigh/Durham has decent paying jobs its one of the better Metropolitan areas in NC.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:19 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATAJ10 View Post
Wow that's not ignorant at all. So one can't have a valid opinion of a place based on visits alone, regardless of length or frequency of stay?

Okay, so I have never owned or rented a property in NC. But spending weeks on end with family there doesn't count as exposure to a place?

What would this world come to if people could actually come on this site and have friendly, experience-sharing discussions....
I did not mean to come across as inhospitable. I'm merely saying that seeking employment and trying to support yourself in a particular area is far different than enjoying a vacation in the comfort of a relative's house.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,405,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I did not mean to come across as inhospitable. I'm merely saying that seeking employment and trying to support yourself in a particular area is far different than enjoying a vacation in the comfort of a relative's house.

I agree. I have visited Paris but have no idea what it would be like to live there.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATAJ10 View Post
Wow that's not ignorant at all. So one can't have a valid opinion of a place based on visits alone, regardless of length or frequency of stay?

Okay, so I have never owned or rented a property in NC. But spending weeks on end with family there doesn't count as exposure to a place?

What would this world come to if people could actually come on this site and have friendly, experience-sharing discussions....
"Visits alone" is more than these other posters have. We're talking about the ones who say "I've never been to NC but I want to move there--tell me where I should move!"?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 33,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Visits alone" is more than these other posters have. We're talking about the ones who say "I've never been to NC but I want to move there--tell me where I should move!"?
Fair enough, I guess you all have Forbes to thank for that one!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
a k

1 posts, read 699 times
hi... I lived 25 years in las vegas and recently moved by myself ahead of my wife and 5 year old son ,to Atlanta in august and I am working but not a great job.I am not too crazy about Atlanta,(traffic,crime,and low wages).We are reassessing our permanent move and considering NORTH CAROLINA. My wife is in State govt,and I in Food &Beverage mgmt.
What advice would you give us and what city should top the list in NC??????thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
We are reassessing our permanent move and considering NORTH CAROLINA. My wife is in State govt,and I in Food &Beverage mgmt.
What advice would you give us and what city should top the list in NC??????thanks
If your wife wants to continue working for state government, then you have to consider Raleigh, the capitol. However, please see the recent threads on state benefits and morale under the Raleigh sub-forum.

The person in Food and Beverage management could probably work in many larger or smaller cities. Pinehurst, Wilmington and Winston-Salemare tourist oriented and have many hotels. Some people call Charlotte a smaller version of Atlanta. Please read up on Charlotte in the Charlotte sub-forum. Obviously, Charlotte is becoming more crowded day by day with new residents. Please think about your life goals and and visit some of the cities before you move again. Obviously no group of strangers on an Internet site can tell you where you would enjoy living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina