Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 5,682 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance in my further research of my family relocating to NC. My family consist of myself, my husband, and my infant son. After this past year of having very hard times with the lost of my husbands employment it has simply become to expensive to keep up our lifestyle here in PA. With the last bit of savings we have decided to take that and move further south where the cost of living is less expensive. We have spent our last 3 wedding anniversaries in different parts of North Carolina (High point, Burlington, and Raleigh) and we really enjoyed the southern feel coming from the north, and it will also be close enough for our family in PA to come visit. These past few months it has been very hard to find a job anyway in NC coming from out of state. My husband comes from a medical lab tech background (without any college degree) he has 8 years of experience. I have over 12 years in customer service and even some supervisory background + about 30 college credit completed. We have about 10k saved to pack up and move down to pay a few months rent and try to secure a job being a local. Would that be enough? How much is a good amount for a pretty decent neighborhood? Local enough to be within 20 min driving distance to malls or Markets but doesn't have to be in the city. How are the landlords there? Would they allow us to buy our lease out? Here in PA some landlords will take 6 months up front on a 6 months lease? Also, how is the job market? What areas would we most likely be able to find employment given out background? What areas are safe? I understand they're aren't any absolute safest neighborhoods in the county but I woulnt want to fear or my life just simply taking my child for a walk. Shoot me in the right direction the state is so big I couldn't possibly afford to visit every county. I would like to narrow my search to 3 cities/towns. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
Have you considered Charlotte? I understand the reasons for the places you have mentioned. I may be wrong but I believe housing etc is cheaper in Charlotte than it is in Raleigh

Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 AM

I haven't I narrowed in on Raleigh believing that it is better and more cost effective as far as affordability for housing and job marketablity. I am more than open to looking into charolette. Thanks for the advise.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Just my opinion, but I don't think 10K is enough savings to make the move without a job secured. Could you live for 6 months without jobs on it?

I would also look for the best job market for your particular fields. I also think the Charlotte area will offer you better chance than Burlington or High Point. Also, I think you should look at the Greenville and Spartanburg areas of South Carolina for a better job market. They are also safe and have even cheaper real estate.

Others have also mentioned that you could obtain a local cell phone number to put on your resume so it looks better if you job hunt before you move.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:59 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer99 View Post
My husband comes from a medical lab tech background (without any college degree)...
That's a rather vague job description.
If that is the phrasing used on a resume or application it's no wonder finding work is hard.

With certification and experience it shouldn't be hard to get a lab tech job.
Getting a good lab job that will support a family is tougher. Anywhere.

Quote:
We have about 10k saved to pack up and move down...
Save your money.

Send him down by himself. Rent a cheap room w/ utilities included.
With that local address try to SECURE a job.

After a few months and some degree of security settles in...
THEN decide when (or if) it's time to move the rest of you down.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 AM

He worked forna huge well known medical company and that was his job title (lab tech) before they downsized their plant here. I wasn't describing what he does I was given the work field in which we were looking for. Furthermore, I've even went as far as having family member whom are human resource directors look over both of our resumes prior to sending those out to employer in NC. I think we're good in that area. Thank you for your opinion regarding the verbiage of our resumes however; I don't think that's playing a part in our job findings.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM

goldenage1 thank you! They are great tips. I have just recently added local phone numbers to our resumes. Hopefully, that will give us a boost. I'll look into those towns as well. i appreciate the feed back.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking for some guidance in my further research of my family relocating to NC. My family consist of myself, my husband, and my infant son. After this past year of having very hard times with the lost of my husbands employment it has simply become to expensive to keep up our lifestyle here in PA. With the last bit of savings we have decided to take that and move further south where the cost of living is less expensive. We have spent our last 3 wedding anniversaries in different parts of North Carolina (High point, Burlington, and Raleigh) and we really enjoyed the southern feel coming from the north, and it will also be close enough for our family in PA to come visit. These past few months it has been very hard to find a job anyway in NC coming from out of state. My husband comes from a medical lab tech background (without any college degree) he has 8 years of experience. I have over 12 years in customer service and even some supervisory background + about 30 college credit completed. We have about 10k saved to pack up and move down to pay a few months rent and try to secure a job being a local. Would that be enough? How much is a good amount for a pretty decent neighborhood? Local enough to be within 20 min driving distance to malls or Markets but doesn't have to be in the city. How are the landlords there? Would they allow us to buy our lease out? Here in PA some landlords will take 6 months up front on a 6 months lease? Also, how is the job market? What areas would we most likely be able to find employment given out background? What areas are safe? I understand they're aren't any absolute safest neighborhoods in the county but I woulnt want to fear or my life just simply taking my child for a walk. Shoot me in the right direction the state is so big I couldn't possibly afford to visit every county. I would like to narrow my search to 3 cities/towns. Thanks for your help!
You don't say which part of Pennsylvania. Like NC, Pennsylvania is a big state. This is important because if you are in the area between Philadelphia & Pittsburgh, you should be aware that for decades the housing market in Philadelphia has been compared with Charlotte because of the housing glut there since the mills closed in the 60s & 70s. You should be looking at Philadelphia as well as NC. Have you also looked at Delaware?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
He worked forna huge well known medical company and that was his job title (lab tech)
Again... your phrasing tells nothing.

Quote:
regarding the verbiage of our resumes however;
I don't think that's playing a part in our job findings.
I'll stick.

Good luck whatever might come of it.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM

We are coming from Philadelphia. We haven't looked into Delaware at all. To be honest, once things seemed not to be working at here in our home state we started looking further south. Delaware isn't too far from here so the cost of living would be right around the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina