Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,157 times

Advertisements

I would just like to start a thread where we North Carolinians compare healthcare.gov experiences.

Mine so far: I thought I had succeeded getting through because I was able to download a .pdf file with my "eligibility notice" and the exact amount of my subsidy. Unfortunately, it says "more information is needed" and then does not tell me what the info is!!

A call to a nice but essentially clueless girl at healthcare.gov gave me no further info. She lamely suggested I send in a copy of my driver's license. Clearly, not the problem. I'm well past the identity verification portion of the program. I suspect the problem is income verification.

Has anyone successfully gotten income-verified? What stuff did you send in?

I have called Blue Cross a couple times and once got a very well-informed rep. She said that each night they get sent something called an "834" which has the info for those people who have successfully qualified for a subsidy. She also noted that a truly successful applicant gets a "confirmation number". I have never gotten a confirmation number and they have never received anything from healthcare.gov about me.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation number? Can you tell your story?

Finally, has anyone had any success simply by sending a paper application through snail mail? That's about to be my next step.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,923,943 times
This story will answer part of your question:

Rocky Start For North Carolina Health Care Exchanges « CBS Charlotte

I have a friend who has broken out on his own, and want to buy coverage. They are all healthy 2 adults 2 kids and the web site is preventing him from buying healthcare. He is a my bellweather, he is a big Obama/Obamacare supporter and I'm starting see his resolve is cracking.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,594,965 times
I'm starting to see reports that the Obamacare website has been the subject of DDOS attacks, in order to make it impossible to use.

Denial-of-service tool targeting Healthcare.gov site discovered | Ars Technica

Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
The problem with NC as well as 25 other states is that they refused to set up their own exchange and have done as little as required by the ACA to, IMO, the determent of it residents.

I would not get too excited about the national site, the website is not the ACA, it is just a website that will be fixed. Anyway if Part D is any example, two-thirds of Medicare beneficiaries who enrolled in a stand-alone Part D plan didn’t sign up until after coverage began on January 1, 2006. Twenty-two percent signed up in the final month of the open enrollment period.

Anyway, if the cheapest insurance you can get is more than 8% of your modified adjusted gross income, or if you are a native American, or if you are not a citizen you do not have to pay a fine.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,923,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The problem with NC as well as 25 other states is that they refused to set up their own exchange and have done as little as required by the ACA to, IMO, the determent of it residents.

I would not get too excited about the national site, the website is not the ACA, it is just a website that will be fixed. Anyway if Part D is any example, two-thirds of Medicare beneficiaries who enrolled in a stand-alone Part D plan didn’t sign up until after coverage began on January 1, 2006. Twenty-two percent signed up in the final month of the open enrollment period.

Anyway, if the cheapest insurance you can get is more than 8% of your modified adjusted gross income, or if you are a native American, or if you are not a citizen you do not have to pay a fine.
The difference is that was 2006, significantly more is done online now and those were elderly users who for the most part weren't tech savvy.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Yep, and that was the point.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
I completed my application by phone on October 12. I was told I would be contacted about my qualification. I have heard nothing.

I DO have insurance available through my employer, but at much more than 8% of my income. I am a part time hourly. Our Open Enrollment period just ended, so I had to go ahead and sign up for it.

Since it has been 4 weeks, I guess I have a couple of options: Call the 1-800 number back to see if they can tell me anything; attempt to sign on to the website, maybe I can look at my eligibility notice there; call BC/BS NC to see if they have received my 834.

Thanks for the info, Goat1!!! I've been busy with other things and was hoping if I ignored the problem for a while it would sort itself out.

I can only imagine the task ahead for the Marketplace: to verify all those applications? That is pretty crazy.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
healthcare.gov crumbling under performance testing with 200 users is the fault of NC? Interesting. That seems to imply that 50 governments deploying systems would be successful because the fed doesn't know how to create a functioning website. After all 50 gives you a better chance that some state would succeed but why do you think NC would be one of them?

What stellar reports are coming in from other states? Perhaps their talent should be tapped for the national deployment.

The product was broke. They knew it was broke but they shipped it anyway and then blamed everything else when it didn't work. Do you not think these attitudes might bleed over to other parts of the implementation or is the website just special and the people in charge of it won't screw up other parts.

I'd say watch for foreshadowing. FOIA requests have already been made for logs which of course we don't really need now because the contractors weren't going to fall on govco's sword and they told us it was broke to start with.

But your logic is clever. If NC would have launched their own exchange then the feds would have done their job right and NC would have done their job right. It's all Pat's fault.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
healthcare.gov crumbling under performance testing with 200 users is the fault of NC? Interesting. That seems to imply that 50 governments deploying systems would be successful because the fed doesn't know how to create a functioning website. After all 50 gives you a better chance that some state would succeed but why do you think NC would be one of them?

But your logic is clever. If NC would have launched their own exchange then the feds would have done their job right and NC would have done their job right. It's all Pat's fault.
The OP was not referring to the website itself, but the process of getting approved for a subsidy. I applied without using the website so the fact that the website may or may not work is irrelevant to me.

Maybe you might know...if NC had chosen to participate in the system, would that have involved hiring staff to process and approve the applications? or is that all the job of the feds?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

What stellar reports are coming in from other states? Perhaps their talent should be tapped for the national deployment.
Well, it's a couple of weeks old, but this gives you an overview. Apparently, for once in our lives, we should aspire to be more like Kentucky.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...es.html?ref=us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina