Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 236,750 times

Advertisements

Those of you who live there, how do these towns "rate" as far as cost of housing, quality of life, cultural diversity, crime, etc.? If you could pick one of them to live in, which would it be and why? Which, if any, would you avoid at all costs and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Omg what a selection. It really depends on what makes a city home for you. Each city has it own quality of life that make any of those cities a good place to live. I wouldnt avoid living in any of those areas.
Cost of housing lowest to highest
Salisbury
Statesville
Kannapolis
Mooresville
Huntersville

I would pick Huntersville due to it close to the lake and Charlotte.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks SunnyKayak! You are so right about each person having his/her own idea of "quality of life." IF we end up there though, hubby will be in school so we will be on one income and will need the lowest possible cost of living while still living in a safe, pleasant area.

I know nothing about any of these areas and there is no guarantee we will be in any of them. I am just trying to find out as much detail about each as I possibly can so we can make an informed decision. We can't afford to make a bad choice. I mean no disrespect to anyone who lives in any of these areas. I need details though as my brain doesn't work well without them and it is up to me to make these kind of decisions for us....

Any details anyone? Please...

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I personally think the lowest cost of living would be Salisbury and Statesville out of that list due to they are furthest from other popular metro cities. Statesville is larger than Salisbury and both have that cute Southern NC town charm.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks again! That certainly does help. We would definitely prefer a small town since we are used to Alaska wilderness...

Any other thoughts anyone?

Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsnAK View Post
Those of you who live there, how do these towns "rate" as far as cost of housing, quality of life, cultural diversity, crime, etc.? If you could pick one of them to live in, which would it be and why? Which, if any, would you avoid at all costs and why?

SunnyKiak has costs about right , but things to remember ,

Mooresville was a one horse town 2 years ago is not aging gracefully . Has suffered from bad decisions made in the past and is now trying to correct for them.

Concord/Kannopolis are both totally dependant on the race track and a new medical reasch firm that is moving in, in process of building still.

Statesville is the county seat for Irredell county, and has a lot of areas that are just like that-a seat.

Huntersville is a very upscale area, that also did not exist 10 years ago. Personally I am afraid this area is either going to explode in population, or collapse under it's own weight . That will be deided by the city fathers, and of course mothers.

I did notice you missed Cornelius , which is right in the middle of all these towns ? Not sure how it was over looked, but it is quickly becomeing a bedroom community for the babyboomers . Highly over-rated and taxed community, somewhat like Davidson, but growing totally out of control !!

Hope this helps ??

Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannsher View Post
SunnyKiak has costs about right , but things to remember ,

Mooresville was a one horse town 2 years ago is not aging gracefully . Has suffered from bad decisions made in the past and is now trying to correct for them.

Concord/Kannopolis are both totally dependant on the race track and a new medical reasch firm that is moving in, in process of building still.

Statesville is the county seat for Irredell county, and has a lot of areas that are just like that-a seat.

Huntersville is a very upscale area, that also did not exist 10 years ago. Personally I am afraid this area is either going to explode in population, or collapse under it's own weight . That will be deided by the city fathers, and of course mothers.

I did notice you missed Cornelius , which is right in the middle of all these towns ? Not sure how it was over looked, but it is quickly becomeing a bedroom community for the babyboomers . Highly over-rated and taxed community, somewhat like Davidson, but growing totally out of control !!

Hope this helps ??

Very nicely put.

Most of these cities, Huntersville, Mooresville, were all built practically in the past 5 - 10 years. They do not reflect anything but rather upscale looking suburbia. This is ok with many people and people tend to like the newness of the area. However the huge influx of people and over development has created traffic nightmares for the area so keep that in mind. Most cities in northern Mecklenburg county and southern Iredell county are booming with growth, with all its positives and negatives.

Statesville is in central Iredell county and Interstates 40 and 77 intersect there. Its older and is not growing nearly as rapidly as its southern neighbors. It seems to have more crime there as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
I lived in Salisbury for a couple of years and my in-laws have lived there all their lives. I would choose it over any of the other options if cost of housing is a priority. It's safe, still quaint, and well-connected to the other towns you mentioned as well as Greensboro and the northeast via I-85.

BTW, I'm not so sure it's smaller than Statesville, and it is the county seat of Rowan county.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
....Statesville is in central Iredell county and Interstates 40 and 77 intersect there. Its older and is not growing nearly as rapidly as its southern neighbors...
By choice - whether a good or bad one remains to be seen. As a resident, I don't notice the crime being any less or more (grammar ) than anywhere else, and certainly not Charlotte. Unfortunately, unless one "knows someone", lake access for the masses is very limited. Very sad .

Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much everybody! I have been looking into housing and tend to agree that Statesville, Salisbury and the little communities between them seem to be most promising for what we need. We will only be there temporarily (1.5-2 years at most). Salisbury does seem best for us, Cooperwx, and we hope to find a small house to rent there. However, if we can't find a house then it will have to be an apartment in Statesville because, so far, I can't find apartments in Salisbury so far. Is crime really a concern in Statesville?

Sorry about missing Cornelius! I didn't google map in that closely at first. I am now though as the smaller areas seem to have the best prices on small houses to rent.

Thanks again! It really looks like a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina