Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,199,229 times

Advertisements

What is it with the folks from Charlotte constantly putting down the Triangle on this Forum? Do they feel so threatened by the Traingle's emergence that they somehow think they have to constantly pop in and tell those who inquire about us that we are something that we are not? Frankly, I never go into the Charlotte room and could care less about what is being discussed there. However, if I read one more post from a Charlotte person saying that the Triangle has no urban life, no culture, nothing to do, etc., I am going to puke.
Let's face it folks, we don't need to disuade any inquiry about either NC area. Both areas (and others in NC) have plenty of growth opportunity and bright futures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,565,732 times
It all relative and it is a forum that is subjective to ones opinion.

I can find plenty of threads in the Raliegh forum that bashes Charlotte.
Anytime there is a thread labeled Raliegh vs Charlotte depending on its location one side is going weigh more than the other. If it located in Raleigh forum it will lean more to choose Raliegh and if it is in the Charlotte forum it will lean towards Charlotte.
It would be no different if someone was to ask Chicago vs New York and it was posted in the Chicago forum.
The best option for those type of threads be done in the state forum so hopefully both sides can weigh on the debate but it will still be bias depending on frequency of members who know both areas and not just hear say can offer valid opinions or facts.

One might enjoy Raleigh historic trolley tours while another person may prefer
riding LYNX HOME (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/LYNX/home.htm - broken link) Charlotte Light Rail. Historic Raleigh Trolley Tours in Raleigh Durham, NC - AOL City Guide (broken link)
One person might prefer seeing professional hockey in Raliegh or minor league in Charlotte. One person may prefer seeing a local production by Raliegh Little Theatre Raleigh Little Theatre while another may prefer something on an International level that occurs in Charlotte Holiday Wonders | Best Chinese Shows - Charlotte (broken link)

Each area offers wide variety of arts, culture and recreation and diversity and one city may have something the other area doesnt

Some of the threads are not bashing Raliegh the city itself but the state goverment located in Raliegh. So if you see a statement like Raliegh only gives 1.99 per person in road improvement money while it gives east of 95 12 dollars per person, it just a statement about the goverment and not the city.

It is all matter of each individual perspective what they enjoy and it a short drive or amtrak ride to either location to enjoy them both.

Each city has it plus and minuses The niche is try finding area in this state that suits your lifestyle best.
I would love to see a thread in the state forum comparing what each city has to offer so that future residents can make a non bias decision on which city would serve them best.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,307,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Anytime there is a thread labeled Raliegh vs Charlotte depending on its location one side is going weigh more than the other. If it located in Raleigh forum it will lean more to choose Raliegh and if it is in the Charlotte forum it will lean towards Charlotte.
It would be no different if someone was to ask Chicago vs New York and it was posted in the Chicago forum.
The best option for those type of threads be done in the state forum so hopefully both sides can weigh on the debate but it will still be bias depending on frequency of members who know both areas and not just hear say can offer valid opinions or facts.

One might enjoy Raleigh historic trolley tours while another person may prefer
riding LYNX HOME (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/LYNX/home.htm - broken link) Charlotte Light Rail. Historic Raleigh Trolley Tours in Raleigh Durham, NC - AOL City Guide
One person might prefer seeing professional hockey in Raliegh or minor league in Charlotte. One person may prefer seeing a local production by Raliegh Little Theatre Raleigh Little Theatre while another may prefer something on an International level that occurs in Charlotte Holiday Wonders | Best Chinese Shows - Charlotte (broken link)

Each area offers wide variety of arts, culture and recreation and diversity and one city may have something the other area doesnt

Some of the threads are not bashing Raliegh the city itself but the state goverment located in Raliegh. So if you see a statement like Raliegh only gives 1.99 per person in road improvement money while it gives east of 95 12 dollars per person, it just a statement about the goverment and not the city.

It is all matter of each individual perspective what they enjoy and it a short drive or amtrak ride to either location to enjoy them both.

Each city has it plus and minuses The niche is try finding area in this state that suits your lifestyle best.
I would love to see a thread in the state forum comparing what each city has to offer so that future residents can make a non bias decision on which city would serve them best.

Sunny,

While I have seen some good civil debates on the pros and and cons of Charlotte vs Raleigh with the results leaning one way or the other depending on which forum it is in, I think the "bashers" rnc2mbfl is reffering to aren't people just expressing their opinions but people outright "flaming' Raleigh with misleading information. I have seen several such posts that claim Raleigh "Has no downtown". That is not really a matter of opinion. One particular poster comes to my mind when discussing Raleigh bashing. Here is a gem from a while back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen City Lover View Post
Raleigh (definately is NOT a city).....is the WORST place in NC.....BORNG!!!!!
Perhaps there are Charlotte bashers to this degree as well, but I have not seen a case this extreme yet.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

There's a difference between discussing such things in one's own forum. It's completely another to go into the other city's forum and do the same. I don't purposely go into Charlotte's forum and seek out opportunities to "put it down" or covertly make it sound "rinky dink". An example of this is found in your comparison of the cities' holiday cultural events.

Believe me. I have been very tempted do exactly that. Because, if you do look at all the objective data out there, the Triangle is going to look awfully good to a lot of people. In the meantime, one only has to dig through the piles of "city data" that is already out there.

BTW, it's spelled "Raleigh", not "Raliegh". :-)

Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Believe me. I have been very tempted do exactly that. Because, if you do look at all the objective data out there, the Triangle is going to look awfully good to a lot of people. In the meantime, one only has to dig through the piles of "city data" that is already out there.

BTW, it's spelled "Raleigh", not "Raliegh". :-)
Okay. So, I have learned that you cannot split up one's quote into pieces and add replies within it. My previous post makes it appear that my comments are his/her quotes. I apologize!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:56 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,457,555 times
Does it really matter if someone bashes the area or not? I mean, I am not going to put my house on the market, ask my husband to quit his job, and pull up roots, just because someone tries to incite an argument over whether Raleigh is a good place to live or not. I like it here, I think it's wonderful, and for all the bashing someone in another area wants to do, it isn't going to change my mind.

I think people like that are either quite silly, or quite ignorant. Aesop's fable of the fox and the grapes also comes to mind.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:17 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,132,934 times
I lived in Charlotte for 10 years. I've lived in Raleigh for a year and three months. IMOP, comparing Charlotte to Raleigh is like comparing apples to oranges. Both cities have pros and cons. I had a great time in Charlotte, but I knew that it was time to move on a couple years ago. I don't understand the bashing. There is a place and time for every place. The world needs to learn a little more respect for differences in opinion. (I've had to remind myself of that fact more than once.)

Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,676,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What is it with the folks from Charlotte constantly putting down the Triangle on this Forum? Do they feel so threatened by the Traingle's emergence that they somehow think they have to constantly pop in and tell those who inquire about us that we are something that we are not? Frankly, I never go into the Charlotte room and could care less about what is being discussed there. However, if I read one more post from a Charlotte person saying that the Triangle has no urban life, no culture, nothing to do, etc., I am going to puke.
Let's face it folks, we don't need to disuade any inquiry about either NC area. Both areas (and others in NC) have plenty of growth opportunity and bright futures.
Not sure if it's bashing...but folks from Charlotte just don't seem to like any other area in NC getting the press.

I remember a few years ago a couple of professional looking men sitting behind us at a Hurricane's game. They were highly pissed that Raleigh had the 'Canes instead of Charlotte.

They viewed Raleigh as a 'hog town in the middle of no where' and didn't deserve such things. They took it personally that they had to travel to here to see a hockey....it should just be at their door step.

As others have said, both cities have their pros and cons depending on what someone is looking for.

I to get tired of certain folks from Charlotte looking down their noses at Raleigh...but they'll get over themselves one day.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,429 times
I hadn't noticed any Charlotte-bashing-raleigh threads, but from what you described, it's no different than the Raleigh and Cary folks bashing Durham...

But one thing I'd agree with... I wouldn't move to Raleigh for the 'culture'.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 AM

But one thing I'd agree with... I wouldn't move to Raleigh for the 'culture'. [/quote]

Except for the State History, Science and Art Museums, The NC Symphony, Ballet, The touring broadway shows at the performing arts center, local theatre productions at Theatre in the park or Raleigh Little Theatre, First Fridays art walks, Artsplosure, SparkCon, various international festivals, annual historic neighborhood events, outdoor concerts at Walnut Creek Amphitheater, events at NC State, indoor concerts and events at the RBC Center, arts/craftsmen shows, live music at various downtown locations, etc., there's just nothing to do.

For those who tuck themselves away in their suburban neighborhoods and never leave them, I'd suggest taking a peek out of it to discover the things that are at your doorstep in Raleigh. You just might have some fun and discover all the city offers you. Then, I'd suggest looking beyond Raleigh to the rest of the Triangle to see what is offered in neighboring Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary. Go live your life, it's your one and only chance! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina