Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,050 times

Advertisements

Recently I moved from Georgia and accepted a teaching position in a severely rural area in Eastern NC. This move has been quite difficult as I was extremely uninformed (if not ignorant) prior to moving to the area. However, once this school year ends I don't want to abandon all hope for North Carolina - maybe just Eastern NC. I've made an effort to travel around this portion of the state to see if there's anything better and I've been a little disappointed. Is there something I'm missing out this way?

However, I have been to Raleigh and enjoyed its cleanliness for the size of the city but didn't spend enough time to get a real feel for it. Visited Chapel Hill/Carrboro and nearly fell in love but worry about job availability and the cost of living. Played around in Charlotte during a visit while in college and liked the eclectic neighborhoods.

It's not likely that I will continue a career in secondary education and will likely make a move toward something in either higher education or the nonprofit sector. Is there a particular city where this sort of job search will yield the best results? I'd like to live in a place that has a much more open-minded population, is dog friendly, moderately affordable for a recentish grad-school graduate with too many loans, relatively close to places where you can easily get lost in nature, somewhat vegetarian friendly, lively, upbeat, but does not have to meet the standards of a utopia.

If you took the time to read this, thank you.
If you took the time to make a suggestion, double thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
Even people that live in NC are often down on the east. But most of the mid-size cities in NC that have a state university in them will have pockets of what you're describing. In other words, there are usually some parks nearby (state/county/city operated) and some kind of arts scene and people who buy organic food.

I think Greensboro has a good balance of all of that by NC standards. The cost of living is a little less than Charlotte and Raleigh, and it's within a reasonable day trip drive of the other major cities.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Durham - tons of teaching jobs because they can't keep teachers.
Charlotte - ditto.
Raleigh - ugh. Wake County Schools. Former teacher here, so I know.

What you're describing sounds like paradise to me too, which of course doesn't exist. But since you mentioned vegetarian friendly, open mindedness and nature, I'd look into Greensboro as well. Also Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Durham is cool in some spots, but secondary teaching from what I hear is a nightmare there.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsle View Post
It's not likely that I will continue a career in secondary education and will likely make a move toward something in either higher education or the nonprofit sector. Is there a particular city where this sort of job search will yield the best results? I'd like to live in a place that has a much more open-minded population, is dog friendly, moderately affordable for a recentish grad-school graduate with too many loans, relatively close to places where you can easily get lost in nature, somewhat vegetarian friendly, lively, upbeat, but does not have to meet the standards of a utopia.
Colorado Spring, CO, Ann Arbor, MI. Asheville in North Carolina meets some of your criteria, but it would be very hard to find a job there.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 41,513 times
I'm kind of curious as to why you didn't like teaching in Eastern NC? Also,what didn't you like about that region? I do know that a few years ago, a lot of experienced teachers from NY were flocking to NC to teach because they were in huge demand in cities such as Durham. I'm not sure if the situation has changed or not. I've heard that Carrboro is kind of funky and there's a Farmer's Market there.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,050 times
Thanks, guys! I had not considered Greensboro so it looks like I'll have another trip to add to the list. I truly appreciate your advice.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
When you say higher education do you mean at a university or college? Are you wanting to teach in higher ed or something else?

Certainly Chapel Hill and Carrboro have what you're looking for. Durham is a great city with many vegetarian-friendly and dog-friendly options. Raleigh could work for you, too. Asheville is gorgeous and you'd love it. Harder to find non-service industry work there as the economy is tourism driven.

If you're interested in staying closer to the ocean, Wilmington could be good for you or some of the smaller coastal towns like Beaufort, Morehead City, Southport, or Ocracoke, Nags Head, etc, although the OBX towns are also a tourist driven economy so jobs are more scarce.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
I'm kind of curious as to why you didn't like teaching in Eastern NC? Also,what didn't you like about that region? I do know that a few years ago, a lot of experienced teachers from NY were flocking to NC to teach because they were in huge demand in cities such as Durham. I'm not sure if the situation has changed or not. I've heard that Carrboro is kind of funky and there's a Farmer's Market there.
Many of the worst school districts in the state are in Eastern NC. In general its history is of farming, and what other industry was there has largely left. Not generally considered an area where education and higher learning is an aspiration for many, except in the cities such as around Greenville. These are the towns where the kids who do have ambition and education tend to want to move away from as fast as they can.

OP--if your main priority is to get OUT of where you are now, you actually are in a great situation, since there are many places that are not "where you are now"--especially if you are willing to change careers, as well. Just be aware that NC is one of the highest unemployment states, so you may wish to cast a wide net (within and outside of NC) for somewhere that meets your criteria. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
OP--if your main priority is to get OUT of where you are now, you actually are in a great situation, since there are many places that are not "where you are now"--especially if you are willing to change careers, as well. Just be aware that NC is one of the highest unemployment states, so you may wish to cast a wide net (within and outside of NC) for somewhere that meets your criteria. Good luck!
Good comment. I could not think of anywhere in North Carolina which had a non-profit which was hiring. That's why I mentioned Ann Arbor or Colorado Springs, even if they sounded off-the-wall. Washington DC has plenty of non-profits like AAUW, but it is more urban and less affordable than the OP wanted.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
not sure what "severely rural" means, but "...I'd like to live in a place that has a much more open-minded population, is dog friendly, moderately affordable for a recentish grad-school graduate with too many loans, relatively close to places where you can easily get lost in nature, somewhat vegetarian friendly, lively, upbeat, but does not have to meet the standards of a utopia. " can be found in eastern NC. Does loan forgiveness exist in education for teaching in a "severely rural" area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina