Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Though the student population is growing, we've eliminated funding for 5,200 teachers and 3,850 teacher assistants. According to this article, we would have to hire nearly 30,000 to get back up to the employee-per-student ratio the schools had in 2008.

Teachers have more students, there are fewer professionals trained to address special needs, funding for books has been cut drastically. Where is this heading?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/e...as_to_stop.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
I haven't read the article yet, but this really concerns me. I don't know how this is sustainable, honestly. I wish we had realistic options for relocating out of this state, but right now this is where the job is. However, the state of education in NC is one reason we are still holding back from a home purchase. Leasing for three years kind of stinks, but at least if we get an offer elsewhere we can jump ship pretty easily. It's a shame, because there is so much to love about living here. I have grave concerns about my children's education though. If we manage to get into a charter school of our choice I will feel much better. Not likely though

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I was stunned reading this. I showed up for several Moral Mondays, so I knew things were not going well. But had no idea it had gone this far.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
I have always been surprised by the number of people who come to live in NC because they are essentially forced out of their homes by property taxes in New Jersey, and then complain about the level of school funding here.

Another interesting data point is the public school system in Washington DC, which spends about three-times the amount that we do per student, and yet has horrendous outcomes. And then there is Baltimore, just up the road, with essentially the same scenario . . .

Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Fix local stuff at the local level. The writer of the Slate editorial came to that realization a little late.
Going to Raleigh is not the same as working locally for the teachers they personally admire. The volunteering and infusion of funds into local schools is much smarter and much quicker and efficient than politicking for the cameras.

Jumpin Johnny Edwards' "Two North Carolinas" lives and breathes, in the world where high income demographics would propose to raise state taxes on poorer district residents to increase funding.
Does anyone have figures on which districts contribute the most to the state coffers, and which districts receive more than they provide to state coffers?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
North Carolina is doing its best to destroy whatever education system we have left. I know several teachers who have quit after just a few years due to the ridiculous demands and nonexistent pay. Now I'm trying to convince my wife to leave for greener pastures as soon as she's done with her Master's program. Either leave the state or move onto college/university level education. The effort to teach isn't worth it when the students & parents don't care. Good teachers would be better appreciated somewhere else, and that's where the state is sending them.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I do not think that NC is alone in this situation. My brother is a HS science teacher in Mesa AZ. He took a part time teaching job at a local community college to get extra income during the summer, and discovered that his starting pay there would be equal to his pay at the high school after 12 years of service.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
If you are working parents with children in the NC school system I don't see how you can be pleased with what the "new" govt. in Raleigh is doing to the education system.

If you are from the Northeast and contemplating moving to NC, wait until your kids finish HS before moving here. There is a good reason you are paying those high property taxes.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I know the author! She is my neighbor and has been very involved with this issue.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I have always been surprised by the number of people who come to live in NC because they are essentially forced out of their homes by property taxes in New Jersey, and then complain about the level of school funding here.

Another interesting data point is the public school system in Washington DC, which spends about three-times the amount that we do per student, and yet has horrendous outcomes. And then there is Baltimore, just up the road, with essentially the same scenario . . .
This. Constantly using the illegitimate force of government to extract more money to throw at an inherently broken system that cannot be fixed by more money is not any kind of sane solution.

Write checks for your local schools and teachers, don't just support yet another unfunded down the road bond measure. Give supplies. Work locally with the teachers that see your kids on a daily basis. Come to them with concerns and encouragement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina